Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 09-06-2006, 01:24 AM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

No gaming last night... I had a customer who needed help. Tonight, though, it was time to venture far beyond Ishad N'ha.... and you all know what that means.

Salads.

They *WILL* hunt you down.

Salads.

Yuk. Now I know why I'm a carnivore... so I don't have to deal with salads.

The peasants had learned all they could around Valeia, and it was time to move on. Both Eljayess and Periwinkle have meteorstorm, so that gives us two spells. And then we can run, and hope that we get back to town before them.

Past experience has shown that the first two salads come from the lake way in the north of this map square, and if you're careful, you can catch the salads in a little passageway between the path (just west of the burnt-out house) and the lake.

'Course, if you can catch them, they can catch you... but no worries for our gallant peasants. After all, their combined IQ is 15... what do they know?

So, meteorstorms at the ready, the peasants inch their way along the edge of the path, eyes peeled wide in search of those green bulbous heads. After all, one blast of their breath, and the peasants will not only be dead, they'll be pickled and preserved for science. They encounter several groups of spiders, worgurs, and highland raiders, and dispatch them easily, swords and mace flying along with shock spells.

Nothing near the path... nothing *on* the path... but I know they'll be there. "Sneak ahead," I order Gruhntella.

She looks at me like I just ordered a giant steak at a vegetarians convention, but inches forward anyway.

Times like this, I remember that in MM, you've got a "strafe" mode. So you can face forward, but step sideways at the same time.

Wish I remembered how to do that in W&W...

Wish more that I'd just thought to look at the back of the manual... it's right there. Guess I'm challenging the peasants on that whole IW thing...

Anyway, there's one! Still on the shore, but within range! Let's go.... waitaminnit! Why do the mages have so little stone magic mana left? Oh, yeah...

Quote:
They encounter several groups of spiders, worgurs, and highland raiders, and dispatch them easily, swords and mace flying along with shock spells...

Great. Running low on mana because they couldn't use fire magic instead. Note to self.... when you've only got one storm spell, use the other school of magic in battle.

Remembering the Dark Neighbor's words that meteorstorm may not do much, the peasants wait with anticipation. Meteors are falling... yes! The salads are being fried! One of them dies... but only one. There's another one right there...

Just then, Sniffer (the Gourkh warrior) says, "I think I smell something..." and sure enough, there are a couple of mountain spiders paying a call. Great. Fight for life with the salads, and some spiders join the party.

Forget it. The peasants head back toward the burned out house to regroup. Who's got mana potions? No one??? Oh, just a couple... but not a lot. Where did they all go?

Periwinkle drinks a mana potion... still not enough juice for a storm. Eljayess does the same... just enough juice.

Oh, look! Worgurs!

The battle is on, all the while scanning the horizon for one of those leafy bulbous heads... and fortunately, no salad appears. The wizards have switched to sun spells for obvious reasons, and the worgurs are soon cooked. The peasants inch forward... up to the path... no salads... but there! In the path still! Salads... SALADS?

Yep... the other two salads (who start someplace else)have joined the party. Three salads, one damaged, in that narrow passage... and we've only got one storm available. Who's got mana potions? Oh, yeah... right...

Eljayess casts her meteorstorm... success! One more salad down... but two still remain. Yep... they're still in the passageway... one more time, who's got mana potions?

Quaffing every last mana potion, the two wizards cast their last meteorstorms... and it is done. Four salads, cooked to a crisp... and Eljayess and Flitter are ready to level up.

Interesting note... that elven learning trait does work. Eljayess is now 12th level while everyone else is still 11th. And Periwinkle (remember her? Queen Ash?) is now over 25000 XP behind Eljayess... man, that dying is rough.

On the positive side, Flitter learned Rebirth, so maybe the future won't be *quite* so dreary...

More tomorrow... I'm tired. G'nite!

The two level up and train, and then start back into the Gael Serran. Tomorrow... Jathil and Shurugeon Castle...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

HURRAH!!!!

YOu did better with the salads than I thought you would! I figured your peasants would die and die often! lol!!

Do you have your random encounters set for low low low??
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
Law
Dungeon Master

I like that little passage. I almost always trap them there and then I can take my time finishing them off. You can even go back to town and come back and they will still be stuck there. Once I wake them up I back out of the passage to the main path and from there you can fire spells or arrows at them but be out of range from their attack.

From my running around with Maxine (she is immune to their breath) there are 4 salads. Two in each of the grass areas by the lake access. All 4 are triggered at the same time but the second two take a while to walk/crawl over to the passageway. You have to almost leave the passageway to trigger them. If you wait until they are all trapped, the storm spells injure the others while killing the targeted one and you may save a spell or two. Burning haze works real good if you don't have a storm yet. Once I killed them only using Burn. It took about 40. Since I was not very close to them I could fire 3 before the first one hit.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
bsftcs
Red Dragon

It reminds me of one of my clients. He hated vegetarians and refused to eat anything unless it included meat. Now I know why!

[ 09-06-2006, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 09-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
the Dark Neighbor
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Way to go, Bungleau! Chopped salad, anyone?

Eljayess and Periwinkle have served you well. They are each twice the spellslinger that poor Wilhelm was!

BTW, what are their Sorcery skill ranks? I just remembered that Wilhelm had about a 4 when he fought the salads because he pumped all the rest of his points into Stone magic. I think my Wizard's Sorcery may not have been enough to injury the salads enough to worry them, but they seem to have much less resistance to Sun magic. I've had other characters with a comparable Sorcery level have much better luck with fire spells. With your limited amount of mana, that might make a difference when you have to face the much tougher salads in the Boogre Prison.
the Dark Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Their sorcery skills are around 3-4... not very advanced, all things considered. They've been training their spell schools at the guild, and hopefully by the time we get to the Boogre prison, they'll both have firestorm. I think one of them is up to level 5 sun spells.

They're about to do Shurugeon Castle. Haleabus and his flamestrikes... those could be interesting. Aside from the warriors, no one has more than 30HP. In fact, we ran back to the Sacred Toadem so Periwinkle could get her 5HP bonus. If you recall, she was ash at that point... [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote