Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2003, 10:00 AM   #1
daan
Silver Dragon

The time is there .. after making my way through to the dungeon, killing spirit trolls with anything *but* ease, I must face (Improved )Torgal.
Mind you I did only the most necessary, as my party cant handle the entire keep. The golem-room is left unattended, as is Glacias. I merely lured the Umber Hulks away .. as I probably wont outlive a direct confrontation with them.

I've managed to lock torgal in a room upstairs, using Nalia's keep key .. so I can fight Torgal alone.

Party in detail:

Human Cavalier Level -9-
AC -1/-2
wielding Lilarcor/shield+longsword +1
THAC0 8

Halfling Berseker Level -9-
AC -2
Double Wielding Axe +1 and Axe
THAC0 7/10

Half elf Ranger/Cleric (me) Level -8/8-
AC 1
Double wielding Mace +1 and Flail +1
THAC0 11/13

Elven Fighter/mage Level -8/9-
AC 1
Double wielding Katana +1 and Katana
THACO 10/13

Human Monk Level -9-
AC 0
THAC0 11

I'm not sure what enchantment weapons hit Torgal .. but I'm pressumoing that atleast +1 is needed, which quite limits my arsenal of weapons.
Im thinking this is going to be quite damn hard.. but I cant afford to go on a wild shopping spree, if that has any good at all.

My gold amount a.t.m. is 10681 GP
I'd like to keep it as close as possible to that number, but if you know of anything that 'll definetly help me against Torgal and I dont have it right now, plz do mention [img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img]

D'Arnise keep is the only quest I've done ( besides Slavers ) and is the only one I intend to do before going to Brynnlaw

Any replies are much appreciated [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-01-2003, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: daan ]
Old 04-01-2003, 10:06 AM   #2
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Improved Torgal is VERY good. You will need most of your fighters pounding onto him to beat down his regeneration (which is set quite high).

Haste on your party would be very effective.

Also, he also decreases one of your stats - either strength or dexterity - so some enhancement potions should be kept in reserve to boost you should that happen.

Good luck with him, I seem to remember my Kensai and Korgan pounding on him for an age before he went down
Old 04-01-2003, 10:16 AM   #3
Darc_Mind
Dungeon Master

Yoshimo can make pretty short work of him with his traps I found out, same applies to many bosses in the game.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:29 AM   #4
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Slow him and dispel his shimmering effect. I don't think you need TS for that, any of the lower level anti-illusion spells should do. Best way to slow him is to use the Greater Malison + Doom + Slow combo. Once he's slowed, and you've surrounded him with your entire prebuffed and hasted party, he should actually go down pretty quickly Direct damage spells will work great on him once you've taken down the shimmering effect, so pummel him with all the Magic Missiles and Fire Arrows you got.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:50 AM   #5
daan
Silver Dragon

Just tried fighting him first time ... any one of my party-members need atleast a roll of 18 to hit him ( I think ). The only hits I've seen are criticals so far .. th best critical doing a whopping 18 damage to him.

Guess I'll be trying the greater Malison doom etc. trick [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2003, 12:00 PM   #6
daan
Silver Dragon

LoL, succes and wisdom gained [img]smile.gif[/img]

1. I didnt know his shimmering-effect could be dispelled
2. I thought he'd be immune to Hold as any troll is in my game

Shimmering effect however was easily dispelled with a lvl 5 spell ( never used it before, since it dispell your own illusions too, but i had no other choice this time ). And before I even started casting either Greater Malison or Doom .. a Nymph had already launched a Hold-person at Torgal and it caught on !

Imagine the chances of that ! Bypass both Magic resistance and his rather good saves

Anywayz, everybody moved in, Greater Malison + 2x doom + 2 x slow + Minor spell trigger with 2x magic missiles + 2 x hold .. made sure he didnt move ever again even if the hold-effect ended [img]smile.gif[/img]

All I have to do now is clear out the rest of his gang . .which is probably harder
An Umber Hulk Elder and Yuan-ti mage have already been dispatched with some effort though .. I just need to figure out how to kill the 4 Spirit troll and the spectral troll 'cause they're ganged up.

I need to find a way to get passed both 4 x unholy Bight and 4 x greater Command , without resting preferably ...
Old 04-01-2003, 01:39 PM   #7
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Wow, nice, not to say odd victory [img]smile.gif[/img] Tor'Gal actually is supposed to be immune to Hold effects, at least according to Infinity Explorer which lists an immunity to "Hold Creature". Don't know if this means immunity to Hold in general or only to a specific spell.

So, what spells have you got left? I suppose you could always send in a summon to absorb all those Spirit troll's initial spellcasting, but they're quite tough bastards even without their spells. If you got any Slow spells left it would obviously help alot, and don't bother with Oracle against these things. Unlike Tor'Gal, their shimmering is undispellable (though I suppose you already knew that )

[ 04-01-2003, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]
Old 04-01-2003, 01:53 PM   #8
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

The best Torgal killer is Improved Kitthix. He can web him (with help of Greater Malison & Doom), poison him, and you can pound him. Kitthix usually kicks all other Trolls if you web them, or blind them (Glitterdust !), slow them, ... Just help him.
Old 04-01-2003, 02:49 PM   #9
daan
Silver Dragon

You sure he's immune ?
I know he has a ring of free action, but that's just the ring that any SoA or ToB boss has .. .each time it has different properties.
IIRC, in Torgal's case this ring of free action bestows him his regeneration, but free action might not be part of the ring's effects.
Newayz .. I was using the Improved Nymphs AI,.. so yeah, 100% sure it was either hold person or hold monster .. im guessing hold monster, since that's what they always cast [img]smile.gif[/img]

And nope .. I drained my fighter/mage from spells unfortunately [img]smile.gif[/img]
Well .. horror, but that never works either.
I do have one skeleton warriors -summon left from my ranger/cleric ... so I'll try that and maybe run around the keep a little trying to cut them off from eachother

Didnt know the undispellableness of the spirit trolls .. I was going to test that actually, thx for saving me the trouble
Old 04-01-2003, 03:05 PM   #10
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by daan:
You sure he's immune ?
I know he has a ring of free action, but that's just the ring that any SoA or ToB boss has .. .each time it has different properties.
IIRC, in Torgal's case this ring of free action bestows him his regeneration, but free action might not be part of the ring's effects.
Well, since you did manage to get him Held, I suppose he isn't immune But IE does indeed list Hold Creature as one of his innate immunities. It's in the effects window, and has nothing to do with the ring, which's purpose Alson clarified to me some time ago.

[ 04-01-2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]