Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2003, 10:16 PM   #1
ils1422
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have given the book to Vithal and we have completed the Earth and Fire Elementals/portales but now I walk with him the the Air Elemental and portal. An air elem shows up as soon as we walk up so Vithal doesn't get a chance to get in the portal. If I kill the air elem, another one just continues to reappear. The other 2 portals didn't have anything there right when we walked up. I was able to talk to Vithal and then they showed up. What am I doing wrong?

This is in Chapt 5.

Thank You,
ils1422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 10:28 PM   #2
jamalez
The Magister

i dont know what you are talking about because when i was fighting the earth fire and air elementals it was just a exp helper. can you actually do something with those portals? also of all the 3 portals there was an elementel that was already there for each.

(P.S.) I am also in the underdark lol
Old 03-05-2003, 10:36 PM   #3
IronDragon
Elminster

Jamalez:

Spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Near where you enter the underdark there is a trio of Duegar merchants, one of them has a freedom scroll for sale, purchase it and cast it. An imprisoned mage will be released and will have a quest for you relating to the elemental portholes.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:43 PM   #4
Gopher Bait
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It does not sound like you are doing anything wrong. From my experience, when I went with Vithal none showed up except the guardian. You could try killing all the air elementals that come out, there is a set number of them, and then talk to Vithal. Perhaps that would work.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:03 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

To quote an oft-used phrase...

... "Kill them, kill them all."

The powergamer's way to do this quest is to go to the elemental portals first and whack the elementals that spawn out of them. They are not infinite, and will cease to spawn after the 16th or more spawn.

If you see elementals blocking your way at these portals, just kill them. At this point of the game, they should not prove difficult to beat down for you.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 11:57 PM   #6
jamalez
The Magister

ok thanks IronDragon, is it possible to do the portal "quest" while in the image of a drow?
Old 03-06-2003, 12:59 AM   #7
firithwingion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

*possible spoilers*
-
-
-
-
-
Jamalez: No, this quest cannot be given twice, but due to a bug that I have encountered; if you finish this quest in human form, and then return to the druegar trio and talk to them, one of them will give you the quest AGAIN, and it will show up in your journal. You will not be able to free the imprisoned mage again however and the quest entry will remain in your journal indefinitely. I have never tried initiating the quest as a drow, but I imagine it would work equally well, if it is your first time freeing the mage
Old 03-06-2003, 05:53 AM   #8
Vedran
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
They are not infinite, and will cease to spawn after the 16th or more spawn.
There are ten elementals per portal.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 07:14 AM   #9
Radek
Red Dragon

To be exact, there are 11 elementals at each portal [img]smile.gif[/img] A good source of XPs. The best way of doing the quest is the "power gamer" (read: experienced BG2 player) way. Visit all places with the portals first and then free Vithal.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:41 AM   #10
Vedran
Lord Soth

Ten elementals before the quest and one while helping Vithal.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote