Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2002, 08:31 AM   #1
bavvo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've never even played a Druid before, so I thought it would be a real challenge to solo one through the game. (I have TOB installed, and have no exp cap.)

Does anyone have any tips for this class?
I am using the Totemic Kit and I was wondoring if there are any really good Items in the game for druids, as I can't use swords/axes etc or wear armour better than studded leather.

Also are summoned animals any use once you come up against a mage with the Death Spell?

Anyone tried this before?
bavvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 08:39 AM   #2
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

About summons/Death spell: try to send in your summons one by one. Most enemy mages have only one or two Death Spells memorised, so sacrifice a dog or two to let the rest of your army charge and kick ass (do not forget to stay out of enemy's sight while sending in summons).

Also it is very funny to see enemy mage wasting Time Stop on a pathetic kobold running up to him. The mage stops time, casts death spell, then casts either PfE on himself then gate, or various symbols (stun fear then death) on the creature. So, at a low price (one kobold [img]smile.gif[/img] ) you waste many enemy high-level spells. And when his PfE runs out, come in and witness an amazing battle - Pit Fiend vs. mage. Cast a Call Lightning on the mage, so when the fiend kills him, you'll get the XP Then kill the fiend for another 17kXP Have fun!

EDIT]Minor corrections.

[ 10-15-2002, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: TaSSaDaR ]
Old 10-15-2002, 09:17 AM   #3
Sir Exxon
Zartan

In a official poll, BioWare have found out that the Druid + kits is the most hard to solo (or atleast so in the crowds opinion. ), so you'll definetly be up for a challenge.

I have not soloed one myself, but I have had one in a party of three, difficulty Insane, which gave me some hard times.
For weapon, the Staff of the Woodlands is good. However, it is only available late in the game. The Staff of Thunder and Lightning would be a good go, though, beeing available in chapter 2, if you are at a high level.

Summons are good. YOu'll especially learn to like them when you reach the ToB-abilities. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 09:54 AM   #4
Jim
Quintesson

Use Shadow Dragon Scale/Aegers Hide/Armour of Deep Night.

Remember that Druids can use swords but are restricted to scimitars only, but use Belm to get the all important extra attack. Druids can only use bucklers so dont bother using sword and shield style. Invest a point into single weapon style at first which will double your odds of getting a critical hit. When you reach the higher levels, you might want to try dual wielding, although your attacks will be a -2, -6 (since you can only stick one point into 2-weapon style) so wait until your THAC0 is rock bottom and you have at least +3 weapons before you try it.

Use the sling of Everard for ranged attacks.

Keep the ataff to the Rhynn close at hand to (as Dundee puts it) poke the enemy to death for those Adamantite Golem moments. (the above 2 are vital for the Kangaxx battle, and the ring of Gaxx is a must for druids).

Use the ring of earth control since you'll want to maximise your Druids poor AC.

Helm of Balduran is useful for the saving throw, attack bonus and AC bonus which all need help for a druid.

Cloak of the sewers to start you off (the troll shapechange is a godsend since its rapid natural regen will effectively heal your charactesr once per day).

Boots of Avoidance/speed of course.

Plenty of people have soloed Druids since they can rock and rival clerics anyday (same hitpoints/attack bonuses/saving throws - some worse spells, some better, only drwaback is the armour and weapon restrictions but some cool bonus spells make up for this - iron skins is only available to druids).

Spell wise, use
Level 1: Armour of Faith, Doom
Level 2: Resist Fire/Cold
Level 3: Rigid Thinking, Protection from Fire, Call lightning
Level 4: Call woodland beings (3 Nymphs casting hold monster = easy pickings), death ward
Level 5: Iron Skins, Insect Plague
Level 6: Heal/Harm, Conjure Animals
Level 7: Natures Beauty, Conjure Earth Elemental

Then of course there's the quest spells for ToB. Go for the elemental prince summons and Devas.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 03:53 PM   #5
Alson
Galvatron

Nice post Jim! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Just two slight disagreements.

In level 6, i would take Summon Fire Elemntals over Conjure Animals anyday. Just pit them together - the Elemental is stronger, and lasts for ages

In level 7, i would devote ALL slots to Nature's Beauty. The meanest divine spell ever. Actually, it's so effective, that after several battles, you'll probably want to switch tactic - it's just too boring.
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 04:29 PM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Level 1:

Armor of Faith: 25% Physical Damage resistances when your Druid is level 20+. Yummy( lasts for 3+ mins too).
Bless: Do not underestimate this spell. Good for summons, good for you.
Doom: Fast to cast and nifty too.
Sanctuary: For that last resort retreat.

Level 2:

Aid: Longer lasting personal Bless.
Barkskin: Godsend( literally) for Shapeshifters.
Chant: Same concept as Bless.
Find Traps: Duh.
Hold Person: For those occasions when yer feeling lucky.
Resist Fire and Cold: Cast to aid in your quest for elemental immunity to Fire and Cold!
Silence, 15' Radius: A highly underappreciated spell against enemy spellcasters.

Level 3:

Call Lightning: Perfect for outdoor battles. Cast multiple times to laugh at your enemies.
Invisibility Purge: Duh.
Miscast Magic: Another highly underappreciated spell against enemy spellcasters.
Protection from Fire: For fun times with Firkragg
Zone of Sweet Air: For those times when enemies cast Cloudkill and their ilk.

Level 4:

Call Woodland Beings: Hold Monster! Domination! Mass Healing! Etc... Oh my! So many high level spells for the price of ONE level 4 spell!
Death Ward: Unless you enjoy dying to Finger of Death among others.

Level 5:

Chaotic Commands: For those times when you need to battle Mind Flayers and various charming/confusing monsters.
INSECT PLAGUE: For fun times with spellcasters.
IRONSKINS: For fun times with physical attackers.
Mass Cure: Save the Bears!
True Seeing: Peekaboo! I see you!

Level 6:

Conjure Animals: Big Bears, BIG Mountain Bears. 4 of these babies can take out an Adamantium Golem and still have enough fight in them to chew on a few Stone Golems. Extremely good for big melee fights.
Conjure Fire Elemental: Immuned to normal weapons, so use them when you know the enemy has no enchanted weapons for an easy time. Bane of Firkragg's life too.
Harm: Cast, poke, spit.
Heal: Duh.
Physical Mirror: When you want a Shield of Reflection too.
Wondrous Recall: *GASP!* 2 more Ironskins? Yay!

Level 7:

CREEPING DOOM: Bane of spellcasters
Nature's Beauty: Doom those( no pun intended) that refuse to be smitten by you.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 08:01 PM   #7
BlackJack21
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
[QB]iron skins is only available to druids.QB]
What about Ranger/Clerics? I thought I had read that they also get ironskins...
BlackJack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 04:42 AM   #8
Jim
Quintesson

Quote:
What about Ranger/Clerics? I thought I had read that they also get ironskins...
Sorry yes, Rangers/Clerics get them too, although that's because Rangers have the same spell list as druids. A straight Ranger could never get them (since he/she can't cast above a 3rd level spell), a straight Cleric can never get them but a C/R can.

Quote:
Nice post Jim!
Why thank you!

Quote:
In level 6, i would take Summon Fire Elemntals over Conjure Animals anyday. Just pit them together - the Elemental is stronger, and lasts for ages
Yes Fire Elementals are tough beasties. The reason I mainly chose Mountain Bears though is because you get 2 of them, each one having 70HP, 3 Attacks per round, an 18/00 strength and their paws strike as a +3 weapon doing 1D12 damage.

Comparing this to a fire elemental (I'll compare to the most common 12HD one), they have 18 STR, deal out an impressive (3D8 physical + 1D6 fire damage), and strike as a +4 weapon but only get 1 APR. The 12HD one has 96HP. (The 16HD one has 128HP and the 24HD one has 192HP)

The 12HD elemental has an idential THAC0 to the mountain bears, so personally, I'd prefer the combined 140HP and 6APR from the bears even though the FE will hit for more damage each hit.

Damage per round:

Ding Ding in this corner we have a pair of massive bears:
(1D12+6)*3 = 21-54 damage per round

And in this corner we have a 12HD Fire Elemental:
((3D8+2)+1D6)*1 = 6-32 damage per round.

But at the end of the day, the FE has a better AC (although they both have poor ones), can only be struck by a +1 or better weapon and lasts longer. But even if you summoned a 16HD elemental, I still think the bears would prevail. The 24HD one however, especially with 23STR would own them all although you only have a 5% chance of conjuring this one. That's why I prefer a spell where I know what I'm going to get! I guess it's down to personal preference.

Just a small closing point, silence 15 foot radius is only available to clerics (and cleric/rangers ), not druids unfortunately, but that is a hugely underestimated spell. The same applies to Zone of Sweet Air, Aid and belive it or not, hold person! This only leaves resist fire/cold, find traps and barkskin (which is only useful to shapeshifters as Dundee pointed out) that are of any real use to a druid for level 2 spells.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote