Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2001, 03:10 PM   #1
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Sat. hubby and I went Xmas shopping for the kids. He declared there was a D&D store in town. Well,I figured I'd have known about it if there were.......so he proved it to me. Indeed, there is a small shop tucked away beneath another that handles comic books, ball cards.....and dungeons and dragons!

We walked in, comfy relatively middle-class couple to a shop full of a bunch of *avid* gamers engaged in a hot and heavy campaign. We looked around (I envied some of the rulebooks and such!)but we play on the pc and this was all pen and paper.

The clerk asked us if we were looking for ball cards or comic books. We answered, neither. Dungeons and dragons. The whole room went *silent*.

As we were walking out, hubby laughingly says "I guess we just don't look the part, honey" to which the clerk says "you sure don't!"

So my question to you is this: how many of you 'look the part'? These guys were all mid 20ish, varied piercings, kinda sloppy dress, seriously into their characters (to the point reality was optional) so that they affected certain stances and speech patterns even when OOC. I never thought to define how a gamer 'should' or did look, but obviously ::sigh:: I don't fit the bill..... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2001, 03:16 PM   #2
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Aye, m'lady, ye sure as real as me axe dont look zer part!
Old 12-10-2001, 03:20 PM   #3
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Garnet FalconDance:
Sat. hubby and I went Xmas shopping for the kids. He declared there was a D&D store in town. Well,I figured I'd have known about it if there were.......so he proved it to me. Indeed, there is a small shop tucked away beneath another that handles comic books, ball cards.....and dungeons and dragons!

We walked in, comfy relatively middle-class couple to a shop full of a bunch of *avid* gamers engaged in a hot and heavy campaign. We looked around (I envied some of the rulebooks and such!)but we play on the pc and this was all pen and paper.

The clerk asked us if we were looking for ball cards or comic books. We answered, neither. Dungeons and dragons. The whole room went *silent*.

As we were walking out, hubby laughingly says "I guess we just don't look the part, honey" to which the clerk says "you sure don't!"

So my question to you is this: how many of you 'look the part'? These guys were all mid 20ish, varied piercings, kinda sloppy dress, seriously into their characters (to the point reality was optional) so that they affected certain stances and speech patterns even when OOC. I never thought to define how a gamer 'should' or did look, but obviously ::sigh:: I don't fit the bill..... [img]smile.gif[/img]

It's truly heart-warming to hear of people like you!
The whole "Role-playing generaton" seem to consist of 19-25 year olds, with funny-looking hats
Old 12-10-2001, 03:54 PM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

LOL Garnet, that is too funny. Count me as a bona fide member of the "I don't look the part" Club.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 12-10-2001, 04:16 PM   #5
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I'm 35 and don't look the part either
Old 12-10-2001, 04:30 PM   #6
huma
The Magister

Ah No,I don,t quite fit into the "gamer" appearance thingy to well.
Might have something to do with my job.
Old 12-10-2001, 05:26 PM   #7
Sorcerer Alex

I don't fit in that well, either. I don't have pierced nipples, hugely baggy clothes or overactive sweat glands myself. Not that I'm a gamer anyway [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2001, 07:33 PM   #8
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

no, cant say that i do look the part... even though i have tried the pen and paper once or twice, i have no piercings and all my clothes fit well. but reality IS an option for me!
Old 12-11-2001, 09:30 AM   #9
Legolas
Jack Burton

How does one look the part? I always wear leather armour and a big darkgreen cloak, have dirty boots on and a longbow in the corner. Got pointy ears through surgery when I was nine and had to drag electrical wires all the way up into my treehouse just so I could be online [img]tongue.gif[/img]

No, there are three types of people when it comes to DnD. Those who play, those who don't play and those who are complete DnD fanatics. I guess you've stumbled upon the latter.

Oh, dear! Orcs, in MY forest? I don't THINK so...
Old 12-11-2001, 04:37 PM   #10
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

That's funny, Garnet.

None of my friends really "looked" the part either. I began the PnP version in 1986. One of my hometown buddies taught me the game when we were in college. NOBODY in our group had ANY body piercing or tattoos. There were a couple that might've "looked the part". One was a large, heavy-set guy with extremely long hair (very scary looking) and the another one could've been the poster boy for Computer Geeks Anonymous.

I am 38. That is pretty close to the average age of our group. Most of us are now married with children and scattered from one end of NC to the other (literally). We still manage a reunion every now and then, but I missed it this year.

With 2 young children and a third on the way, it looks my gaming will be restricted to PC RPG's for the forseeable future.