Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2002, 09:44 AM   #1
Pinchit
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I may be narrow in my interests, but I only really like turn based rpgs. I've finished Wizardry 8 and loved it. Anyone know if there are any more turn based games in the making? Most seem to be hack and slash these days.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:50 AM   #2
Deathbringer

turn-based is good. I really like turn-based strategy games over Real time. The same goes for some RPG's. However I guess it depends on the style of game whether turn-based is better or not.

[ 07-21-2002, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Deathbringer ]

Old 07-21-2002, 10:03 AM   #3
Lord Shield

I prefer turn-based as well. It's all very well the computer can control every character at once in its parties, but the player can't, so turn-based makes more sense for me

for those that ARE real-time based, I prefer them to have auto-pause (BG2 for instance) as that simulates turn-basedd quite nicely

Old 07-21-2002, 10:07 AM   #4
Deathbringer

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
I prefer turn-based as well. It's all very well the computer can control every character at once in its parties, but the player can't, so turn-based makes more sense for me

for those that ARE real-time based, I prefer them to have auto-pause (BG2 for instance) as that simulates turn-basedd quite nicely
Yeah, and it gives you time to think and plan your attack.

[ 07-21-2002, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Deathbringer ]

Old 07-21-2002, 10:19 AM   #5
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

I prefer turn based as well, simply due to the fact that it is mmore tactical than real time combat.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:37 AM   #6
kingius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree - turn based forever!

If you like turn based battle systems in rpg, you will love my game Necrotech. Why not pay a visit to my web site and give me some feedback on it? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2002, 12:36 PM   #7
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Turn-based RPGs are the best! [img]smile.gif[/img]
I also agree with LS, about the auto-pause thingie. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2002, 10:11 PM   #8
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

I like TB more too. About good TB RPG's, try the Fallout series, excluding Fallout tactics, or might and magic series. In the last one you have the option to play turn based, Fallout is TB all the way.

New TB RPG games, or any other genre for that matter, seems to be not for tomorrow. I still see Feargus' dribble about how real time, true real time without pause or anything, is the future for RPG's 'shivers'.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:39 PM   #9
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by the new JR Jansen:
I like TB more too. About good TB RPG's, try the Fallout series, excluding Fallout tactics, or might and magic series. In the last one you have the option to play turn based, Fallout is TB all the way.

New TB RPG games, or any other genre for that matter, seems to be not for tomorrow. I still see Feargus' dribble about how real time, true real time without pause or anything, is the future for RPG's 'shivers'.
Ah, a fellow Fallout fan. Yes, the turn based combat was what made Fallout so special. Fallout tactics wasn't too shoddy either, although it was more of a strategy game. Feargus Urquhart said what? I have just lost all faith in him...
Old 07-22-2002, 02:38 AM   #10
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Yes, I do agree that turn based combat for CRPG and stratergy games seemed to more fun and player friendly. I am always slow when comes to swift response and therefore I really sucked in RTS games like StarCraft and etc. On the other hand, I was able to kick some serious ass in games like Master of Orion II and Fallout.

Yeah, turn based or real time with the pause option is a better system than the continuos real time system...IMHO of course.