Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 07:13 AM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Well, I've finally taken the plunge with Fallout and have gone back to where it all began as far as the infinity engine is concerned. Already, I feel I'm there. 50s America, McCarthyism, the Cold War, and the summertime weather has me really in the mood to be immersed in this game's world.

I wasn't sure if I would need a patch for my Version 1.0 of the game however and decided to take a risk by playing along until I ran into any problems. So I created my character (a sort of esoteric diplomat with repressed homicidal urges) and began the game in all earnesty.

I finished some early quests in Shady Sands (Radscorpions/Rescued Tandi) and then with the help of Ian, wiped out the entire populace of Khan raiders. This took alot of time and strategy, but was well worth it and was a jolly good skirmish, hopefully a window of what's to come.

I then moved on to Junktown, which is where I am up to now and where I encountered this odd little bug. It involves the Skulz sub-plot. After I performed the initial task of stealing the urn for Vinnie, I decide to not go with them straight away but to inform Lars about the Skulz scheme to murder Neal. I then join some 2-3 Junktown guards in the Skum Pit and defend Neal by killing Vinnie. After settling down for a drink afterwards and looting the area for valuables, I return to Lars to hopefully get some kind of reward. However, the scene simply loops around and Vinnie is reincarnated to the scene to be killed again and again.....

To the Fallout Veterans of Ironworks:
Is there some kind of trigger I have missed to resolve this sub-quest?
Or is it just a bug which might be fixed with the latest patch?

I know I'm going to enjoy this game immensely, but I hope it doesn't get spoilt by more oddities such as this.

Cheers,
Cerebrodragon

[ 12-29-2004, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:46 AM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I'd say get the patch, I don't remember all of them, but the patch fixed a couple of bugs.

I think your old savegames might not be compatible, I'm not sure. You should make a backup just in case.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:55 AM   #3
Riftmaker
Elminster

As a matter of procedure, ALWAYS update your newly installed games with the latest patch. http://www.avault.com/pcrl/ has almost all of them.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:36 PM   #4
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Point taken, Riftmaker. Ordinarily this is something I always do. I didn't think it would hurt in this case to let it go.
A friend who kindly loaned me his Fallout cd told me that he never had any problems with the game, bugs or otherwise.

I downloaded the V1.0-V1.1 patch a few hours ago from www.kaneoheboy.com as the adrenaline vault downloads weren't connecting properly for me.

Save games seem ok at the moment, although I did back them up just in case, as I have read a couple of tales of save game corruption.

However, the patch didn't resolve the reincarnating of Vinnie, it merely moved him back to the Crash hotel where you meet him.

I stumbled upon a method which seemed to fix the problem though. After joining the Junktown guards in killing Vinnie the first time (I redid it after installing the patch) I then went back to Lars and chose the second option, of "no, I've done enough for today". The first option would just send me back to kill Vinnie again.
Lars returned and said thanks for the help.

I've since gone on to finish the Killian/Gizmo quests and almost all of Junktown missions that I can currently find. Not sure where I'll move on to next though, maybe the Hub. Other ideas without spoilage are welcome.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 06:46 PM   #5
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

CerebroDragon, I envy you! You stand at the brink of limitless RPG goodness! An unforgettable experience that will take you head-first into a cult-world that is so big, it stands on its own. Be sure to replay it a thousand times and when the tears of joy on your cheeks have dried up, get yourself a copy of Fallout 2, which is about 10xFallout 1 [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Seriously, I get a wee feeling when I think about my Fallout time.....
Old 01-01-2005, 02:38 PM   #6
Stratos
Vampire

At some time you might want to give the Brotherhood of Steel a visit, CerebroDragon. The can give you access to the most powerful armour in the game. A bit tricky to get, but...

Edit: And pick up Fallout 2, it's even better than the first, but make sure you've finished Fallout 1 before starting Fallout 2. Fallout 2 takes place after Fallout 1 and there's some major spoilers in the intro. Also patch this game (Fallout 2) the first thing you do as old save games become invalid after you've patched the game.

[ 01-01-2005, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 01-05-2005, 03:15 PM   #7
Lucern
Quintesson

I agree on the patching. It's not that it's a very buggy game - it's that there is so much to do that something HAS to be broken! That goes doubly for Fallout 2 of course...since it's bigger hehe.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote