Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 06:35 PM   #1
LewyRay
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I too just started playing...picked up the game off ebay about 6 months ago and finally got around to starting about a week ago.

I have had two things come up that I had questions about...
1. When I first entered the upper monastary, my 5th level characters got absolutely annihilated by Pestilence Rats (or Rodents Of Unusual Size as my Bard was calling them). These are 8th level critters that were given my party diseases..well...before they killed them all. Eventually I just gave up and went down below and trained up...got everyone up to level 6 or 7, and upped all the skill levels. I headed back up...and no more ROUS's. Just some bandits that I walked all over. Anybody run into this?

2. On last level up..I think it was level 9 to 10, I did not have the option of upping my Bard's music score. Here Music skill was at 77. It has gone up since than through training in Upper Trynton. I'm a little nervous that somehow I won't be able to pump it up on level ups. I want to max it out and possible change her to a rogue. Which brings me to...

3. Is there any negative to switching the Bard to a rogue once her music is at 100? I've read through a bunch of posts but couldn't see any definite answer to this question.

Thanks...it's awesome that this game still has such an active forum!!!
LewyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:09 PM   #2
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

1. Considered wisdom is that you halt levelling up at level 5. Reason being those pestilient rats should only appear when your party is level 6 or above. On rare occasions I've met them at a lower level. Also, the road from the Monastery to Arnika, which is usually the next stop, can be very tough and if you level up too much you will meet nastier enemies. I usually hold levels at 5 and then level up to 6 as soon as I leave the Monastery.

2. You can add to your skill scores up to 75 and then you can only increase them by actually practising and using the skill.

3. The Bard has specific armours and misc items which give bonuses to your attributes like Strength etc. If you change to Rogue you will lose these. However, I do sometimes class change my Bards to Rogue at level 11 and when my music skill is at least 95. Reason being there are two very good instruments which can only be used by a level 11 Bard. The higher the music skill the less likely you will fizzle the instruments. Finally, the Bard is a competent melee fighter especially with a very nice sword you can get in Arnika.

Enjoy the game and yes, this is a very active forum, considering the game has been out for a couple of years. Also, the people on this forum are friendly and only too willing to help.
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:35 PM   #3
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Also, regarding music score, there is a practise instrument for that in Arnika that makes Music about the third fastest thing you can max in the game:
:
:
:
:
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
:
:
:
The Viola d'Amore--play it when in conversation with an RPC (best is He'Li--she won't go red on you for it) until you pass out and repeat until Music = 100. Your starting around 80 will make it go in just a few minutes, and if you put a couple Stamina regen items on it goes even faster. To play it, select the Magic button, then Use Item. You cna leave the Viola in the Party inventory, just select the party button when selecting the item.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:04 AM   #4
Pyrates
Drow Warrior

LewyRay, I wouldn't change the bard. I did it, for a pretty high level bard, changed her to a ranger. Thing is, even if you can use all istruments, the power you get out of them is still level-dependent. I wasn't particularly happy with this change, so I wouldn't do it. There's some pretty strong stuff later on, but it doesn't serve you well if it's not cast on maximum power level...

Cheers
Philipp
Old 01-19-2005, 05:32 AM   #5
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

There are two pestilence rats in the first room in upper monestary, and one together with some minor rats in the library. These are fix encounters, for what i know. In addition, there is always a group of rats somewhere in upper monestary. The rats in this group are random; i've encountered pestilance rarely, but mostly they are minor ones.

I assume you got killed by the random group; two of them shouldn't be too hard with a full party at normal difficulty. So it was just bad luck.

The bard - i wouldn't try class changing in your first game. There are a few (late) high-level instruments, which require bard level 18 to play (and more to play effectively). In later games, especially with smaller parties (and without RPCs), you might want to change the bard to a more melee-heavy class (fighter or rogue).
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

No, WB, those fixed rats are Rabid, not Pestilent.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:17 PM   #7
LewyRay
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks all for the responses. I think I will keep my Bard a Bard...She's looking forward to more fun instruments.

I ran into two encounters...one with 6 pest rats and 6 rabid, the other had 6 pest rats and 6 bandits. Both groups clobered my 5th/6th level party.

I left the monastary with the party at 7th+8th level...and really had very little problem with the Arnika road. It sounds like this was a problem spot for a lot of people...what monsters did they run into?
LewyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
Marathon
Elminster

For me, Crimson Poppies are the ultimate nightmare on Arnika Road. I've had whole parties put to sleep by the mist they spew, as well as sleep being a rather nasty side effect of their tentacles. At low levels I run from these.

And Welcome to Ironworks!

[ 01-19-2005, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Marathon ]
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:37 PM   #9
Sinteuil
The Magister

Yeah, Crimsom Poppies are pretty bad, and those Caustic Vines which blind half your party can be a real horror if there's a group of Piercers or Higardi Highwaymen along with them. It's usually when there's a combination of blindness/sleep from the plants along with a group of Higardi that I know it's time to start running. Occasionally there are Siges with a group of Piercers on that road which can be a real problem too, especially if the Siges are casting from a great distance!

[ 01-19-2005, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Sinteuil ]
To be born in imbecility amid pain and cries, to be the plaything of ignorance, error, want, illnesses, malice, and the passions; to pursue a return to imbecility from the moment one first stammers to the moment one drivels; to live among worthless people and charlatans of all sorts, to fade away surrounded by one man who takes your pulse and another who bothers your head; not to know from whence one comes, why one has come, where one goes -- that is what people call the greatest gift our parents and nature have given us: life. - Denis Diderot
Sinteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:49 PM   #10
Wild Rose
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Scatter:
Also, regarding music score, there is a practise instrument for that in Arnika that makes Music about the third fastest thing you can max in the game:
:
:
:
:
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
:
:
:
The Viola d'Amore--play it when in conversation with an RPC (best is He'Li--she won't go red on you for it)
Lord Braffit also doesn't go red.