Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2003, 09:28 PM   #1
yoodaa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi folks, just wondering if any of you are going to get The Temple of Elemental Evil. It's an isometric turn based RPG with what seems like a nice assortment of character customization and tactics.
Link to a review: http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/september03/toeepc/

I really don't like how Gamespy docks off points just because it's single player =(
Old 09-16-2003, 10:02 PM   #2
Jonni Voodoo
The Magister

Of course. I've been watching this one for a while.

After the major disappointment that was NWN, I am looking forward to a real implementation of the 3rd edition (or 3.5 in the case of ToEE) rules.

And hey, no apologist fanboys can spew "You can script it!" every few seconds. Yay.
Jonni Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 10:10 PM   #3
EEWorzelle
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by yoodaa:
I really don't like how Gamespy docks off points just because it's single player =(
It's because they're into fads and trends (and advertisers). Anything outside of them is beyond comprehension. There's big bucks in online games. I'm not saying their game evaluation integrity would be influenced by advertisers... well at least I'm not proving that. I'm surprised they don't have a category for how much of a action-based click fest the game is, and take marks off for ToEE being turn-based.

I plan to get it, and play it. DnD limits character development after initial creation to only a single Ability Point every few levels, which allows very little changing of the character inside, in terms of what they actually are. Skills, which are mostly an external thing, are pretty cool, tho. For the 3rd person, DnD, genre of RPGs, it sounds like it will be one of the best.

I'm sceptical about the claims it will be great for replay, however. At least the story and quests will change some, based on alignment, but we'll have to see if playing different kinds of parties adds anything. Slight changes in story or quests might change what you do and in what order, but that only really matters when you get the quest and complete it, which only takes a few moments in each case. Will parties be able to use entire different tactics and strategies against the monsters faced and have each approach work equally well? Alignment can be different but that, IMO, is a poor way to add variety. We'll see.

[ 09-16-2003, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: EEWorzelle ]
EEWorzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 10:22 PM   #4
the mighty stamar

Me... been looking forward to this one a lot. I already have lionheart now too.

No gamespy is the largest multiplayer game area in the world, so every game they review would have to have a rating for multi player.

Sort of follows.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 10:25 PM   #5
EEWorzelle
Manshoon

Oh
EEWorzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 10:38 PM   #6
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

I already got some freebies today (map/poster and a novel), my copy is supposed to be there tomorrow.

I also was happy to see Devil Whiskey made progress - they have a downloadable demo now - I'm holding off until after I've played TOEE for a bit tho.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:22 PM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

That's funny?! I just read about it tonight at chapters. If it's "turn-based" (don't know what isometric means) then I'm definatly in! I just hate the real-time and Icewind Dale style of combat.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:42 PM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Hi folks, just wondering if any of you are going to get The Temple of Elemental Evil. It's an isometric turn based RPG with what seems like a nice assortment of character customization and tactics.

can you direct me to a site where I can download a demo or the 10 minute video thing for free?
Old 09-17-2003, 09:51 PM   #9
yoodaa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
quote:

can you direct me to a site where I can download a demo or the 10 minute video thing for free? [/QUOTE]I got the videos off fileplanet, and it was free. There are two sections on fileplanet's download page; a fast no-wait server for subscribers, and free-but-often-has-a-line public servers. You need to register for a free account to download though.
There's no demo out yet. The game was actually supposed to come on on 9/23, but got released about a week early...before the demo was ready.

[ 09-17-2003, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: yoodaa ]
Old 09-18-2003, 02:01 AM   #10
the mighty stamar

there is a 834 mb demo at kazaa.com

u have to install the real kazaa to get it.

you can pay $50 to dl the rest of the game
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote