Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2002, 01:16 AM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

I may be having a problem, but I am not sure. I added a member to the party from the NPCs, I then found another NPC that I wanted to add. However, when I added the new person, it kicked out the old person! Are we allowed only one other person in the party, other than summons? If we are allowed more, is there some restriction of some sort that I am not aware of (number based on level, etc.)? Please let me know.

In addition, has anyone else had problems getting the NPCs to do certain activities (disarm traps, bash chests, etc.)? It states in the manual that you have to talk to them to get them to do it, but it doesn't give me those options when I talk to them. I'm obviously missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Finally, I'm definitely having a problem with the spontaneous casting for the cleric. I set up the cure spells in the quick slots, and it gives me the "S" in the upper right corner. However, if I try to cast a cure spell again after using it (by clicking on it again), it does nothing, just like a regular spell. It should use up one other memorized spell, then cast the cure. Has anyone else had this problem? Just asking.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 02:30 AM   #2
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

First you can only have 1 henchman in your party ata time. You can drop one to add one then get that one back latter to replace your new one. You are also allowed on companion/familer and unlimited summons.

Inorder to get them to open locks You have to attempt it first you fail then Tomi or Sharwyn will attempt it. Tomi does traps automaticaly.That goes for Daelan and Linu for bashing too. First attempt to pick the lock when you fail they will start bashing on it.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:40 AM   #3
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanthir:
First you can only have 1 henchman in your party ata time. You can drop one to add one then get that one back latter to replace your new one.
That *REALLY* bites!!! I am not big on multiplaying with any game, so I was going to run through solo. I was looking forward to being able to construct a party (3 members, all to support my cleric). I have Daelan now, and he does a great job of bashing chests (though only after I try to open it, and get killed by any traps). So a cleric pretty much has to be a front-liner in this game, just so you can have Tomi there to open traps? Mages love dispelling my summons, so their use as tanks are limited (they see them coming, and that's the first thing they do). I'm already irked that I can't get them to walk in front of me (what use is the Barbarian standing behind me when I open the door?). Oh well, no one said life was fair...

Quote:
Inorder to get them to open locks You have to attempt it first you fail then Tomi or Sharwyn will attempt it. Tomi does traps automaticaly.That goes for Daelan and Linu for bashing too. First attempt to pick the lock when you fail they will start bashing on it.
I figured out Daelan's bashing the hard way. I thought maybe it was a half-orc thing... So does Tomi run around in search mode? I hope so, because I really didn't knock up my search skill (I'm a cleric; things like heal and concentration would seem to be more useful). All in all, I'm really disappointed in the interaction with the NPCs (or lack thereof). It's obvious this game was designed to play multiplayer. Shame for people like me that really don't like that environment...
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 06-23-2002, 11:40 AM   #4
Nerull
Lord Ao

Actually, I figured out why I couldn't spontaneously cast. I have Healing as one of my domains; that means I get Cure Serious at 2nd instead of 3rd level. I put that in my quick slot, but wondered why I couldn't spontaneously cast it. That's because I did not have access to 3rd level spells yet (even though you memorize it as a 2nd level spell, when you spontaneously cast it, it will use up a 3rd level spell slot). Now I know! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2002, 02:20 PM   #5
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

yes tomi runs around in search mode
Old 06-23-2002, 05:08 PM   #6
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanthir:
yes tomi runs around in search mode
Cool...
Old 06-23-2002, 08:11 PM   #7
zlandar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm not sure about other class familiar/pets, but the wizard and sorcerer get to pick a pixie as one of their choices. It basically acts like a rogue, and will search/disarm/pick locks and traps. This was a lifesaver as I was about to nuke that annoying halfling if he said that one-liner one more time. As far as getting your fighter to walk in front of you it's a no winner, I just usually try to get the attention of the monster from long range and run back toward my lazy barbarian henchman. On the plus side I found out you can cast AE spells without harming your own allies, so my wiz is really starting to take off in terms of whacking power.
zlandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 11:33 PM   #8
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by zlandar:
I'm not sure about other class familiar/pets, but the wizard and sorcerer get to pick a pixie as one of their choices. It basically acts like a rogue, and will search/disarm/pick locks and traps.
Shame a cleric doesn't get the same thing (though with the animal domain you get stronger summons). I might just have to get rid of Daelan, but so far we've been doing pretty well (can't open all of the chests, but oh well... ).

Quote:
This was a lifesaver as I was about to nuke that annoying halfling if he said that one-liner one more time.
Exactly. I hate the character, and I don't like playing rogues. Kind of leaves me limited.

Quote:
As far as getting your fighter to walk in front of you it's a no winner, I just usually try to get the attention of the monster from long range and run back toward my lazy barbarian henchman.
Yep, there seems to be no other way, but it really sucks when you open the door, and they are standing right there (or move faster than you, so you can't get back to your tank in time). Can you have more than one summon at a time? I tried doing it once, but it just replaced the creature (I cast the same level of summon, though, so it might work by summoning more than one level). When I play tomorrow, I'll check that out. If I can have multiple summons, then I might ditch Daelan.

Quote:
On the plus side I found out you can cast AE spells without harming your own allies, so my wiz is really starting to take off in terms of whacking power.
Yep, the normal difficulty allows you to play like Gauntlet: Legends (where you can throw all kinds of destruction around and your people are unscathed). If you think that is illogical/undesirable, move the difficulty up one notch (to D&D Hardcore Rules level) and you'll zap your own people just fine. One day I'll get the nerve to move it up, but right now I'm still getting my feet wet.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:22 AM   #9
zlandar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think the max number of NPCs in a party is three. That's including a familiar/animal pet, a summoned creature, and a henchman. Using different level summonings won't work, I tried that already. I don't like playing rogue characters too much myself, though I guess in this game if you have the patience to sneak around you would avoid the mosters jumping on you during encounters since your invisible at the start of combat.
zlandar is offline   Reply With Quote