Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2001, 01:04 AM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ok, I'm not very happy! SNIFFLE SNIFFLE....

I tried to start the game again...and I am still very unclear how the fighting works. I'm especially unclear how casting spells works...and I got CREAMED by the skeletons in the cemetery...sigh...I now have 6 ugly skulls in my inn...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I just can't get the hang of the battle commands and using mouse is sort of awkward, trying to view things...

Somebody told me how to make it turn based once...I'm not sure I remember how...some stupid skeleton in a red cap sneered at my wizard and big red drops flew all over...sniffle........ dead dead dead, we are all dead....

How do I get my characters back? I LIKE those characters....no way to start over? I really HATE games that won't let me start over and learn from my mistakes....

Cloudy, sure she will never get the hang of W & W

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 06-02-2001).]
Cloudbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 01:11 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Okay, Cloudy: not sure on this, but first of all: did you save the game when you left the town? Reloading seems to be the best option.

A couple of pointers:

To walk, hold down the right mouse button and point where you want to go; they'll walk that way.

To fight: left-click on the opponents as soon as they're within range. If it's not letting you (safety feature), hold down the CTRL key while you left-click for the first one.

To cast a spell, click the "Magic" icon on the left side (the flame jet), and pick a school of magic, then the spell. Then left-click on the opponent just like you were going to take a swing at them.

The "funny skeleton in a red cap" is a Bone Lord, and he's a bit much for 1st level characters. Stay close to the front part of the cemetery until you get a bit more XP (at least 2nd level). You can always go back and take him on.

Hmmm...also, if you didn't save, try "Revert Game" from the Inn screen and see if that will pull the characters back. If not, click on the Options icon (the computer in the lower left side) and try "Reset Adventures".

I Do hope you can get your characters back! I understand your frustration...remember when I was e-mailing you about BG2?? It takes some getting used to!

Hope it works out! Let me know if you need more help.

-Sazerac

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 06-02-2001).]
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 01:13 AM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

One other thing, Cloudy:

Set your game to "Slowtime" mode...best if you're first starting out. That way the monsters will "pause" and give you a chance to strike back. To do this, open up the Options screen (the little computer icon) and adjust the little slider thing on the right side to "Slowtime".

-Sazerac
Old 06-02-2001, 01:15 AM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Cloudy...I just checked the manual, and "Revert Game" from the Inn screen IS the way you restore your characters.

*whew*

That's how you get back the "Autosave"...you have an "Autosave" every time you leave the town, but you can only invoke it using the "Revert Game" button in the Inn.

-Saz
Old 06-02-2001, 01:18 AM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Saz!

I tried reset and revert game...but I hadn't saved! I didn't realize I needed too...I'm still so used to my BG and IWD...sigh...

I didn't intend to fight the bone lord, I got lost trying to get back out of the graveyard. I find the perspective confusing and frustrating...I thought I was going back toward the gate but obviously I wasn't! Guess there's no way to just say "hey party! Head back to the village!" huh?

I did click the magic button and the school *sun* and the spell, *burn* and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't and I'm not sure what was going on...

ConfusedCloud

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 06-02-2001, 01:23 AM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Saz,

I restarted and it tells me all my characters are in the temple morgue. I did revert game, no dice....I don't know what to do now! I can start again, but what happens if all my characters die? And what about the things they had on them, clothes and weapons and stuff we picked up?

Cloudy
Old 06-02-2001, 01:24 AM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Cloudy: to keep track of where you're going, you can use the Map. It's one of the icons on the left, and it shows in the bottom left of the window. The red arrow shows your current location, and your direction. Double-clicking on the icon brings up the larger map.

You can walk around with the map on, and when opponents come, you'll go back to Fight mode as soon as you click on them.

In the Cemetery: if you see the big building, that's where the Bone Lord is. As soon as you see it, back off...that's the wrong way!

Not sure on the Magic...all I can tell you is that you are doing it right...just make sure you have the critters targeted when you click on them. If they move out of your cursor's point, you won't be able to cast. It seems to be difficult on Skeletons and Bats, because you can see through skeletons and bats just flop around a lot.

Hope this helps!

-Sazerac
Old 06-02-2001, 01:30 AM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Saz,

I restarted and it tells me all my characters are in the temple morgue. I did revert game, no dice....I don't know what to do now! I can start again, but what happens if all my characters die? And what about the things they had on them, clothes and weapons and stuff we picked up?

Cloudy
AKkk!!! Well, I've never lost my group like that, so I guess they're out of there...nuts!

You didn't get far, so it won't be too bad to start again. The characters all come with 200 gold pieces. BTW, you can "multiply" this out a bit by adding the characters to the party, exiting the Inn, pooling the gold to the front character, re-entering the Inn, removing the characters except for the lead one, and adding them back in, and repeating...you can go as high as you want with the gold. This is called the "Inn Gold Bug", and it's an acceptable workaround, especially when you're just starting out.

Make sure you save the game as SOON as you step out the city gate!!

There's plenty more stuff out there...the monsters respawn for each new game.

Good luck! Let us know how it's going.

-Sazerac

Old 06-02-2001, 02:31 AM   #9
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

Umm,unless I missed something.Can't she just make a new charter give it a bunch of gold and have the priest guild revive them?

------------------
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightfull place as master of all I survey.
..........O,_
......_.L.=\_:
~~(_)==(_)

[This message has been edited by sageridder (edited 06-02-2001).]
sageridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 09:16 AM   #10
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Good thinking Sagerider - that will work just fine, and help Cloudysniffler out of the jamshe is in - WOOHOO

------------------
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote