Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2004, 07:27 PM   #1
Neomi
Zhentarim Guard

For some reason, I've never picked up Cernd for long enough to complete his quest. I've played through SOA bunches of times with all kinds of different party compositions, but not with Cernd.

Has anyone kept Cernd long enough to do his quest? And if so, is his quest worthwhile? (i.e. interesting banter, loot, XP, items) Plus, if you did keep him until the end of SOA, was he actually useful (NOT the rebalanced Cernd, the plain vanilla Cernd)?

Go ahead and spoil me. I need to know if its worth my time. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:50 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I personally think Cernd is interesting, in terms of character. His personal quest will shed some light on the tree-hugger.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 12:18 AM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
"For some reason", indeed.

I suggest you go ahead with it, if only because it's good to give everyone a chance. Even Cernd. At least long enough to do his quest.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 12:54 AM   #4
Hank Parsons
Zhentarim Guard

Are you talking about his quest in Athkatla or Trademeet? I've not been able to get his quest to trigger in Athkatla, how do you make it start?
Old 07-30-2004, 02:56 AM   #5
Neomi
Zhentarim Guard

Yes, I suppose there is the "Trademeet" quest which usually just consists of me saying, "Thanks, but I'll fix the animal problem without your help Cernd. Why don't you go stand out in the woods somewhere."

But the quest(s?) I was talking about were the ones in Athkatla. I'm assuming that the quest would trigger somewhere near his house in Waukeen's Promenade (in the same way that Keldorn's "family quest" triggers when you enter the Government district).

Dundee and Illumina, I suppose you are right that even Cernd deserves a chance. That being said, have you ever known anyone to take Cernd all the way through to the end of SOA (let alone TOB)???
Old 07-30-2004, 09:14 AM   #6
Imrahil
Elminster

Cernd's Athkatla quest *should* trigger as soon as you return to the city (any district, I believe, but I know it will trigger if you return to the Docks or Waukeen's Promenade). A messenger has to walk up to Cernd & talk to him, so if you immediately start moving as soon as the loading's done, you may miss it.

Try this - after rescuing Trademeet, when you're ready to return to Athkatla, go to the Docks first & just sit there for a minute without moving. See if a messenger comes up & talks to Cernd (if not, you may have a bug).

The quest itself is relatively minor (a trip to the Promenade, some dialogue, a trip the Government District, a small combat). The really annoying part is what Cernd does after it's over (makes sense, but... anyway, you'll see).

As for taking him through the whole game, I have, & he's... OK. Not nearly as bad as the reputation he has, but nowhere near as interesting as Minsc, Jan, Korgan, et al. Once you get over that huge Level 15 hurdle, his power grows tremendously.

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 06:08 AM   #7
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I also need help triggering Cernd's Quest. I did not bring him back to Trademeet with me after completing the Grove. Instead, I returned to Trademeet, received my Hero's Welcome, and completed the Crypt Quest for the two feuding noble families. Then I returned to the Grove to retrieve Cernd for his quest.

Even though I am playing a solo game with my bard, I still plan to do most of the NPC quests (keeping each NPC just long enough to complete their specific quest).

But since I did not have Cernd with me when I returned from the Grove, I apparantly missed my opportunity to spawn his quest normally.

Can anybody tell me which global variables I need to change in SK to "Re-Set" the Quest and trigger it now?
Old 08-03-2004, 06:33 PM   #8
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Please forgive the Barbaric "BUMP" of this thread, but I would really like to know if it is possible to gain Cernd's Quest by resetting the Global Variables.

If so, which ones should I change and to what values?
Old 08-03-2004, 09:54 PM   #9
Neomi
Zhentarim Guard

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
I personally think Cernd is interesting, in terms of character. His personal quest will shed some light on the tree-hugger.
Yeah... Finally finished Cernd's quest to find out more about the "tree-hugger". I can't say that it made him that much more likeable, knowing about his dark past (not to mention his very violent response). Interesting in terms of character, ok sure. Next on my list of companions. Nah.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:13 PM   #10
Imrahil
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
Please forgive the Barbaric "BUMP" of this thread, but I would really like to know if it is possible to gain Cernd's Quest by resetting the Global Variables.

If so, which ones should I change and to what values?
This is going to require some spoilers of Cernd's Athkatla quest, so...
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Igarol is the messenger who comes up to Cernd to initiate the quest about Cernd's wife, so the first variables I'd look at are... (my values in a saved game after completing Cernd's quest are in parentheses)

CERNDIGAROL (3)
CERNDIGAROLSPAWN (1)

...after Igarol talks to Cernd, there's a 5-10 second pause, then Cernd asks you to go to Waukeen's Promenade, at which point I would guess that my CERNDINITAR0700 variable got set to 1 (since WP is AR0700).

Stop there, experiment with those, if no Igarol then go to WP, & check out Cernd's Former Home & see if there's anyone there who can advance the quest... if that fails, keep going...

If you haven't gotten the Igarol messenger, or if there's no one in Cernd's Former Home, go back out & check Fennecia's (hmmm... sp? look for the closest thing to that on your area map) Home, slightly northwest of CFH - she *should* talk to Cernd & you should be able to proceed.

...Still hoping that worked & you don't need more spoilers, but if so...

After talking to her once with Cernd visible to her, your CERNDNANNY variable should get set to 1. She'll tell you she won't say any more with Cernd around, so you must send him outside, then talk to her again, at which point your CERNDNANNY variable should be set to 2.

If none of that occurs, set your GLOBAL variables to the following...

CERNDIGAROL = 3
CERNDIGAROLSPAWN = 1
CERNDINITAR0700 = 1
CERNDNANNY = 2

...& go visit the Deril Estate in the Government District.

If you can't get in, or if nothing happens, then I failed to be helpful. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Here's all my Cernd variables *after* I completed his quest & he left the party, but I didn't retrieve him...

CERNDBABY = 1
CERNDBABYDONE = (timer based - my variable is meaningless - set to 1 to trigger ASAP)
CERNDBEGGAR = 2
CERNDCHALLENGE = 1
CERNDCOMPLAINHOME = 1
CERNDIGAROL = 3
CERNDIGAROLSPAWN = 1
CERNDINITAR0700 =1
CERNDNANNY = 2
CERNDNANNYTIMER = (timer based, try setting to 1, that should trigger any timers)
CERNDPLOT = 1
CERNDSPAWN = 2
CERNDWENTHUNTING = 1 (???)

Hope at least one of those steps helped. [img]smile.gif[/img]

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote