Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2003, 09:24 PM   #1
Trau
Zhentarim Guard

before being able to use both classes?
Black Bush: \"UN got a problem with me in Iraq? You know what you should do? You should sanction me. Sanction me with your army. Oh wait, you don\'t have an army. I guess that means you should need to shut the f**k up! SHUT THE F**K UP!\"
Trau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 09:29 PM   #2
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
it's a big mystery...

In AD&D rules, I think the justification was that to change from say a fighter to a mage, a person would have to stop practicing their fighting skills, and apprentice themselves a mage. Since in BG2, you are gaining levels as a mage not from learning from another, higher level mage, but because your party is killing stuff, it doesn't make as much sense.

I think the real reason behind the rule in the first place was to impose some kind of penalty on dual-class characters. If they never lost their original class abilities, then there would be no drawbacks at all to dual-classing.

The 3rd edition rules about multi-classing have no such penalties, but they allow all races to multiclass.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 09:31 PM   #3
Trau
Zhentarim Guard

Interesting.
Black Bush: \"UN got a problem with me in Iraq? You know what you should do? You should sanction me. Sanction me with your army. Oh wait, you don\'t have an army. I guess that means you should need to shut the f**k up! SHUT THE F**K UP!\"
Old 02-04-2003, 01:07 AM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Of course, the most realistic system is to give EVERYBODY basically the exact same abilities, and then, the only way to become more skilled at those abilities is to practice them. So, for instance, you're a Fighter/Cleric/Thief/Mage, and you spend your day whackin' bad guys with your axe. Bang, you've gained a level as a Fighter and your skill with Axes has increased. But if you had spent that same day sneaking around, breaking into buildings and stealing things, your Thief level would increase and your Lock Picking and Stealth scores would go up.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:19 AM   #5
Trau
Zhentarim Guard

Will SK allow you to give thieving abilities to non-thieves?
Old 02-04-2003, 04:16 AM   #6
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Olorin:

The 3rd edition rules about multi-classing have no such penalties, but they allow all races to multiclass.
Correction: multi-classing in third edition is not completely without penalties; if neither of the two classes is your race's "favoured" class and one of them is a lot higher in levels, you'll get a 20% XP penalty. But not as bad as the 2nd edition penalties, no.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:45 AM   #7
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Trau:
Will SK allow you to give thieving abilities to non-thieves?
Yes, but the game wont allow you to use them. I dont think they will even display in the character record, probably only in the level up screen.