Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2002, 11:23 PM   #1
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I set the record for most unsuccessful parties in the ID2 gaming series (not yet a series though).. I think this is #5 or #6, lost count. [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] Here they are:

I haven't decided on leader and such, so these are in no particular order:

Aevyk
Drow
Demarch of Mask
Neutral Evil
Major skills: Concentration and Spellcraft
Major Feats: Armored Arcana, Combat Casting, Courteous Magocracy, Discipline, Extra Turning x3, Heretic's Bane, Improved Turning, Spell Penetration x2
Relation: She is the sister of Uldwar, and so far I'm leaning towards the leader of the group

Uldwar
Drow
Evoker
Lawful Evil
Major skills: Alchemy, Concentration, Knowledge (Arcana), and Spellcraft
Major feats: Aegis of Rime, Aqua Mortis, Combat Casting, Scion of Storms, Spell Focus Evocation x2, Spell Penetration x2, Subvocal Casting
Relation: Brother of Aevyk, base arcane magic, intense evocation spells

Ingha
Drow
Monk of the Dark Moon
Lawful Evil
Major skills: Concentration, Hide, and Move Silently
Major feats: Blind-fight, Dash, Discipline, Dodge, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Strong Back
Relation: No relation to Aevyk and Uldwar, a completely different house, he is sort of an envoy of the Drow, 2nd tank

Valiere
Human
Fighter
Chaotic Good
Major Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Concentration x4
Major Feats: Bullheaded, Cleave, Maximized Attack, Power Attack, Strong Back, Stunning Attack, Weapon Finesse, Proficiency x2 in 2 weapons
Relation: Possible leader, main tank

Angulof (sounds like angle off [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Strongheart Halfling
Rogue
Lawful Neutral
Major skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Open Lock, Pick Pocket, Search, and Use Magic Device
Major feats: Arterial Strike, Blind-Fight, Crippling Strike, Dirty Fighting, Hamstring, Improved Initiative, Improved Evasion, Slippery Mind, Dodge, Mercantile Background, Lightning Reflexes, Proficiency +1 in Bow
Relation: I was going for a deep gnome, but their paper doll figurines look too much like dwarves. I figured him to be lawful because stronghearts are said to live in well-structured communities.

OK, that's it. 5 members. I need to know
1) If they will be successful, and allow me to make it past Chapter 1
2) If they seem like a typical party
3) If the individual's makeup flows together (i.e. makes sense)

I appreciate it everyone! [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bighug.gif[/img]
Oh yea. If clerics study the divine arts of magic, how can they get the possibility of knowing about arcana? [img]graemlins/confuse21.gif[/img]
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 11:33 PM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Would suggest another fighter for the party, given the combat intensity in IWD2. Also, clerics don't need armored arcana; they can cast spells in any type of armor without penalty. You would want that only if you plan to dual to a wizard or sorcerer later on.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 11:38 PM   #3
Nanobyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightowl2:
Would suggest another fighter for the party, given the combat intensity in IWD2.
A few things to consider. Everyone besides my mage is a possible tank. Clerics can fight, but not advised; monks make excellent fighters once they make it past the first few levels; in my experience, the rogue makes an excellent diversion/decoy as well as combatant.

Quote:
Also, clerics don't need armored arcana; they can cast spells in any type of armor without penalty. You would want that only if you plan to dual to a wizard or sorcerer later on.
Thanx, I guess I wasn't thinking.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:42 PM   #4
DraconisRex

Yeah, but why a Demarch of Mask if you have a rogue? I understand if you're going to multi-class as a Cleric/Rogue.

And all these drow? You'll do a significant amount of day-time fighting. Why take the penalty? And Drow go up levels more slowly (needing 2000XP more per level), it really limits their effectiveness in IWD:II.

The group will work, but you're going to have some problems being under powered because you have too many ECL characters in your spell casting areas.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 11:44 PM   #5
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Heh. With all the new stuff in 3rd ed, it's easy to become a little confused. But look, you saved that feat for something else

As to the monk, well, I do have to admit it's a class that doesn't appeal much to me. I like Neat Toys (the more lethal the better!), and of course that lets out the monk.

What I'm curious about is your remark that you've had other parties that weren't successful. What happened with them? How far did you get? Why did you decide to abandon them?

Nightowl2
Old 10-08-2002, 12:09 AM   #6
Nanobyte

Quote:
Originally posted by DraconisRex:
Yeah, but why a Demarch of Mask if you have a rogue? I understand if you're going to multi-class as a Cleric/Rogue.
My previous party had a cleric/mage, and I was told I need a cleric devoted to priesthood. The demarch suits the party best I guess. And I'm choosing mostly drow because I prefer doing things differently. Practically every single one of my other parties was good-aligned and contained no drow. I like to switch around sometimes, it was pure coincidental that I had 3 drow.

Quote:
What I'm curious about is your remark that you've had other parties that weren't successful. What happened with them? How far did you get? Why did you decide to abandon them?
I've had 1-person, 2-person, 4-person, and 5-person parties that all did not make it past chapter 1. They were unbalanced I guess. I go more for the RP value of the game rather than the balance. A bad habit from BG. The farthest I've made is to the goblin fortress caves. I couldn't make it any farther because I was vastly outnumbered (see Badguy, Goodguy ratio 400:4). My 1-person was a ranger, that was the first, so I can't really remember why I quit there. My 2nd was a ranger and barb, I quit because I'm not that skilled with barbs and I couldn't kill all the malarites at the dam map. Another was a 4-person, and I couldn't kill all the worg riders at the fortress. My last was another 4, a ranger/sorceress, cleric/mage, rogue, fighter that couldn't make it any farther in the caves, too many goblin elite/shaman/worg rider/chieftan/etc.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:37 AM   #7
timberwolf
Dungeon Master

Well, I guess I am more like you. I build me party base on RP instead of balance and I like Drows. The beauty of this game is you can actually make a Drow Chaotic Good [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have 2 drows in my party (Fighter (Tank) / Cleric (Battle guard))
I have 2 Magics and both concentrate on assault magic. Wizard (EVO) / Sorc
I have a Paladin and a rouge. Most of my party members are elfs (Moon / half etc)

In my personal opinion, I do believe a good party = a party that suits your gaming style. If is entirely up to you weather you want to leave bodies behind or bluff your way through. For me personal I like a mix of both.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:23 PM   #8
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Ah. Well, RP is nice, but a game like IWD is more hack and slash, and that's what you have to build for.

Multiclass is a little tough, especially if you decide to build evenly. The usual ending party levels are 15-17, average 16. Will be a little higher with a short party, but not all that much. Especially if most of the group are Drow.

So you may want to consider a full party of six single-class characters. Once you know the game to the end, you can go back and try a smaller group. Experience does count for a lot.

As for the gobbie warrens, there is a way to get through there without having a lot of combat. Ask me if you'd like to know how.

Nightowl2
Old 10-08-2002, 09:16 PM   #9
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Does it involve Improved Invisibility and Haste?
Old 10-08-2002, 09:24 PM   #10
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Invis, yes, though stealth is also a possibility. Haste is not necessary for this particular maneuver.

Nightowl2