Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2002, 11:53 AM   #21
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

hmm well I think that water is best brought via the tap itself, even if its filthy dirty and full of salt (like mine), they make water filters for that [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2002, 01:43 PM   #22
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Lorde, the chlorine levels in our water are AWFUL, I mean, sometimes I hate even the stench of it!
Old 10-11-2002, 02:07 PM   #23
B_part
Quintesson

S. Pellegrino bottled water in Iceland? well, that's an awful long way from home country... but $ 3!!! that's an awful high price!

You better drink tap water. Also because here in Italy, because of some law loophole, bottled water is allowed more nitrates than tap water. That is to say, tap water has to be cleaner than bottled water... It beats me why it should be this way, but that is the way things go...

And the amazing thing is, Italy is among the greatest consumers of bottled water, because people tend to think that since it is in a bottle, it is cleaner than the H2O coming out of our taps... I am not saying bottled water is necessarily polluted, but the law is less strict regarding that than regarding tap water.

Also here in Italy tap water tastes good in most places, so the habit is even more stupid.
Old 10-11-2002, 04:20 PM   #24
Moni

Another precaution to consider when buying bottled water is the filtering process the company selling it uses.

Due to internal injuries I sustained a number of years ago, most everything I put into my body must be in its purest state, water included.
This means I have to distill my own or buy bottled water if I intend to drink any because tap water (even processed through filters) makes me sick to my stomach and causes pain in one of my kidneys.

Back to what I was saying though...there are companies here in the U.S. that use low-to-no standards when bottling water and what you sometimes pay for can make you sicker than what comes out of the tap.
I regularly saw co-workers get bladder infections from drinking out of water coolers operated by a supposedly reputable bottled water company in Tucson and I have had to go through several "brands" here in Texas to find one that has good quality water.
(the Tucson company mentioned above was later exposed in their local nightly news cast for using low standards and bottling water that had more bacteria in it than the city taps and I know the neighborhood the owners lived in was a neighborhood of millionaires, in a resort-like setting, golf course included...its not like they couldn't afford to maintain their water quality, they just didn't care to let go of any of their profits...I used to spend my Sunday afternoons working for one of their neighbors, making a hundred dollars in a couple of hours by hand washing a Rolls Royce and a Mercedes lol...the Merc actually won 1st place in a Tour de Elegance after I detailed it )

Anyway, the best bet all around (even in a country where the ice in the glaciers could carry pollutants) is to boil and filter the water yourself.
Distilled water is water in it purest form and the best you can drink.
Next to that, fruits and vegetables and their juices are excellent sources that have taste too.

[ 10-11-2002, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 10-11-2002, 04:31 PM   #25
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Moni forgive me for prying but how did you gain those internal injuries? Just by reading your posts I have to say you don't seem to be having a lot of luck with life @_@
Old 10-11-2002, 04:48 PM   #26
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Moni forgive me for prying but how did you gain those internal injuries? Just by reading your posts I have to say you don't seem to be having a lot of luck with life @_@
You're not prying at all Kaltia. [img]smile.gif[/img] Somewhere around here, the whole story was posted for all to see lol.
I was a passenger in a pick-up truck that hit a palm tree head on...caught the steering wheel in the sternum and rib cage...ruptured my stomach, lacerated my liver and damaged a kidney among other things but it was those three injuries that dictate what my diet contains to this day.

I've had some great luck with life since then (with the exception of an evil husband and a couple of bad boyfriends LOL) It was mostly prior to that incident that my life was always one of "tough luck" (if any lol). These days, (for the most part, over the last 16 years) I can say I am and have been blessed beyond reason and am/have been happy as all get out and not be fibbing.

Old 10-11-2002, 04:50 PM   #27
Kaltia
Jack Burton

OW! I am avoiding pick up trucks and palm trees from now on [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img] Glad to hear your life has been pretty good (Apart from said evil husband and bad boyfriend lol) but I fear we're getting off topic *sgh* [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2002, 05:34 AM   #28
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Lorde, the chlorine levels in our water are AWFUL, I mean, sometimes I hate even the stench of it!
I think you'll find that that is just your normal, South of the Water smell!

Peckham Spring Water - didn't Dellboy Trotter come up with that idea?

[ 10-12-2002, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 10-12-2002, 05:37 AM   #29
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Look on the bright side, at least we don't have to drink straight out of the Thames (EEEEW, i just grossed MYSELF out!) Sorry, but I don't happen to like the taste of a river so bad it caused a "Great Stink" and is green/broaw/yellow depending on how many people can't be bothered to use a public toilet.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:16 PM   #30
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

The water here in Queens is very foul. Cloudy, yuk. I filter or buy my water. In Sydney I drank tap water, until people got sick from it one year and all the grimey pipes got uncovered.

The thing is, water has never been free. Primally, humans had to go to the source (river/lake/bore/well) to get it. Or pay someone else to, which is what bottled water represents.

But fresh piped water is something society pays for. Taxes, water rates and the like. Hardly free. Bottled water is more user pay.

Honestly I think with the water wastage going on in places like northern China (drying up ancient rivers etc) greater user pay mightn't be such a bad idea.

It's our most valuable resource. Yet the perception is, it's free and limitless.

Let's hope they don't need to start selling canned air.... air IS something we get freely.

http://www.hughwilson.com