Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2003, 02:04 PM   #1
Dobian
Dungeon Master

I don't want story spoilers, just some feedback on the realtive party strengths. My current party is:

PC (monk)
Jaheira (f/d)
Korgan (f)
Yoshimo (t)
Nalia (t/m)
Anomen (c)

Okay, Korgan, Jaheira, and Anomen are staying. I like Yoshimo for his great theif and traps skills. However, I hate Nalia (even though I get to be lord of her manor) with her constant guilty rich girl babblings. I'd like to replace her with Aerie, but Aerie is a multi-class c/m, so I'll be overloaded with clerics and only half a mage. If I went this route, I figured I could bring Jan in to replace Yoshimo, which gives me a thief and another half-mage. What do you think? I could bring in Edwin to replace Nalia, but I dig the chicks, and all I would be left with is Jaheira. I could also bring Imoen back when I find her again. I wanted Viconia, but I'm already committed to Anomen. Oh well, next game...
Dobian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 02:24 PM   #2
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

I'd replace Nalia with Aerie and Yoshimo with Imoen (she's got all the important thief skills adequately covered so you wont be lacking in that department), when you get her back.

Just replace Aerie with Nalia and struggle on. Don't worry, you'll find Imoen soon enough, and Aerie's spellcasting abilities are perfectly enough till you do.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:34 PM   #3
eb
Manshoon

Well my humble fellow.

Imoen in for Yoshimo that filthy little backstabbing bastard.
Minsc instead of Korgan is my opinion. Minsc is a hell of a tank and quite a funny guy.
But if your going to have Minsc you can count out Edwin if u dont have that girdle that changes alignment. (think it works then?)
Then you have.
PC(Monk)
Jaheira
Minsc
Imoen
Edwin
Anomen
Old 05-21-2003, 03:48 PM   #4
Dobian
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by eb:
Minsc instead of Korgan is my opinion. Minsc is a hell of a tank and quite a funny guy.
Well, I actually replaced Minsc with Korgan. See, I had Minsc in my party throughout all of BG and TOSC (which I finished last weekend). He's also been in my party the first several hours of BG2. So, I'm all Minsced out. Plus, Korgan comes with a quest. I also had Jaheira and Imoen in my BG/TOSC party, so I didn't want half of my party in BG2 to be the same. I am keeping Jaheira (yes, I am a Jaheira fan, though some don't like her).
Old 05-21-2003, 03:49 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

SPOILER ALERT:

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

If you take Aerie, you'll need to dump Korgan, because they won't stay in the party together.

Having said that, I think your lineup is fine as it is. You'll eventually get a chance to replace someone with Imoen, and if you want to use Imoen as an effective spellcaster, you'll need to get to Chapter 4 ASAP. Nalia's really not necessary since Imoen will do everything she's doing right now, but she is an effective mage who can use a bow and other thief weapons.

You may also consider Jan Jansen as a replacement...he's a great Thief/Illusionist and gets extra spells per slot, even though he's multiclass. He's also the greatest source of "comic relief" in the entire game; his stories are hilarious, and shouldn't be missed if this is your first playthrough.

Still, I think you're party is perfectly balanced as it is. Just put up with Nalia's mouthing off (you have to with Anomen as well, and he's worse IMO). Both of them eventually "shut up" after you complete their side quests, and pretty much every NPC whines to some extent anyhoo.

Cheers,
-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 04:04 PM   #6
Faceman
Hathor

Nalia is extremely annoying but she can level up top be a great mage. Yet so can Imoen if you free her soon enough. Jan is nice if you like him but has some annoying sidequests and is only multi-class. Aerie is perfect to romance if you are a goody-goodshoe PC but keep her out of the frontline cause I can't recall any other NPC to fall so quickly in battle by just getting slightly hit by a fireball or any other area spell.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:23 PM   #7
Dobian
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
Aerie is perfect to romance if you are a goody-goodshoe PC but keep her out of the frontline cause I can't recall any other NPC to fall so quickly in battle by just getting slightly hit by a fireball or any other area spell.
Yeah, her constitution sucks.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:33 PM   #8
Dobian
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Still, I think you're party is perfectly balanced as it is. Just put up with Nalia's mouthing off (you have to with Anomen as well, and he's worse IMO).
I hated Anomen at first, and was determined to dump him when I got Viconia. Then I got into his story, and he wasn't as big a jerk as I thought, and he started sucking up to my PC, and I kind of felt sorry for him. Okay Anomen, you made the cut!