Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2003, 09:10 AM   #21
daan
Silver Dragon

And slap on some anti-fear stuff too .. I wanna be in control
maybe SI: ??
Old 05-01-2003, 11:11 AM   #22
daan
Silver Dragon

You know .. if it is possible,.. it'd have pretty far reaching consequences.
-Apparently the damage the slayer receives is magic damage
-The damage roughly doubles itself time after time ( 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 etc. along those lines )

If there is indeed a way of keeping the slayer alive for as much as 20 turns ( = 20 minutes real time ) and keeping him under control for that time,.. he'd be invincible.

Why ? If not for his great stats, because of the fact that I'm assuming the damage will still be doubling every time. If you then wear the Belt of Inertial Barrier, you'd have 27% of the damage returning to you as healing.

Lets say it doubles every round and starts with 2 damage ( this is not the case btw ) ... there are 20 x 10 = 200 rounds in 20 turns.
This would mean you'd be healing 0,27 x 2^200 HP in the last round and 0,27 x 2^n ( with n being the number of rounds passed in whole numbers n = 1,2,3 .. )
healing per passed round

Knowing that in-game these numbers are actually far higher ( damage isnt doubled per round, but faster . .dunno the starting damage ) it wouldnt take long or the only way of killing the PC is to deliver equal or more damage than his total HP ( or him failing a save for an instant death spell,.. but Death Ward is probably on anywayz )...

[img]graemlins/shine.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/shine.gif[/img]

[ 05-01-2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: daan ]
Old 05-01-2003, 11:58 AM   #23
Klutz
Manshoon

One other thing: I believe Slayer mode sets your attacks per round to 5. While a warrior can achieve very close to this in unmodded SOA (4.5 for 13+ lvl warrior specialized and dual-wielding with either Belm or Kundane, or warrior specialized with Tuigan Bow... and hey, 5.5 if you dual-wield Belm AND Kundane) it takes pretty specific character planning to accomplish.

Do there exist individual character abilities, spell abilities, scrolls and potions that can together add up to equal or better bonuses than the Slayer? Absolutely. Can every battle in the game be accomplished without it? Absolutely. Does that make the Slayer useless? Absolutely not. Slayer mode means any PC can, for a short time, become an absolute melee monster with a fair shot against anything in the game... and without knowing every character, ability, item and monster in the game inside-out.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:23 PM   #24
Heatmiser
Dungeon Master

My first time through, playing as a LG Undead Hunter, the only time I used the Slayer was in the final fight w/Jon. Because of my alignment (and the consequences) I didn't want to use it any more than that. But by the end, I figured, what the heck! So Jon comes out, summons his fiends then goes slayer. While the rest of the party deals with the demons, I go slayer too. My Slayer beats Jon's pretty easily!
Done and done.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:23 PM   #25
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Oh I desagree that Solo Sorcerer needs Slayer...Project Image does it all... [img]smile.gif[/img]
But still it is a good thing for extreme situations.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:38 PM   #26
Jatelka
Dungeon Master

On a VERY trivial and SHALLOW note:

My F/M looks much sexier when she's not the Slayer
Jatelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 01:11 AM   #27
BlackJack21
The Magister

Improved Irenicus spoilers
. While for much of the game the slayer might not be neccessary or even worthwhile to use, no one can deny that without it for any non-magic using class it would be nearly impossible to beat the second form of Irenicus in the Nine Hells.
BlackJack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 05:15 AM   #28
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Yes on that I Agree...
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote