Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
killerTeddy
Dungeon Master

Hi everyone!

I never really tried flames mod before (just played the monastary), so i want to try it next. What kind of chars and races should i take to make use of some of the new nice items? And is anything removed - there's still the CoC and light swords where they should be?

I'm thinking of something like this:

Fighter and Rogue - both dualing
Faerie Ninja - also at the front, CoC
Gadgeteer - just noticed how wonderfull the microwaves ray works [img]smile.gif[/img] , want it again
Bard - ?
Bishop, Elf - wizardry and divinity, maybe whip and shield

Second alternative:

Many combats are like this at the moment: run to the enemies, kill 1-2 in close combat, shoot, shoot, shoot, next round: wait, run again, kill another, again much shooting, lots of waiting always before i can run... So i thought about a really fast party, you think it pays off? Or is the haste spell sufficient (would be a reason for a bard)? The fast party could use cursed, short range weapons cause it spends more time in close combat anyway. Maybe like this:

Faerie Ninja - CoC, maybe some throwing first to use powders and such
Rogue - some sword and thieves dagger
Bishop - mace and (light?-)shield
... and all in the center.

So, i'm waiting for your comments (maybe i'll finish the game with my current party first - somehow i seldom finish the game, got new plans for a new party before most time )

Thanks!
killerTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
Sinteuil
The Magister

In Flame's new mod, there is both an axe and a mace that you'll find very late in the game, and they're probably the best weapons available in the game. In particular, a fighter berserking with the mace will simply wreak complete havoc! There are also a minimum of 2, possibly 3 light swords that you can pick up (2 are fixed and the 3rd one is a 50% monster drop). The mace has some race restrictions, so only lizards, dracons, humans and dwarfs can use it, and it requires extremely high mace skill, so definitely train for it if you plan on using it (there are a few new maces you'll find that will make this worth your time). If you go with a ninja, you may want to consider using swords instead of the cane (felpurrs are a good choice here), since you can now count on the light sword, and you'll also find a number of excellent swords and throwing weapons early on. Since there are now special armours for every class in the game, you really can't go wrong with any choices you make! The only issue where race makes a big difference is if you're going for the mace (a Rawulf lord won't be able to use it unless you change the race restrictions on the weapon yourself using mad god's editor). Have fun!
Sinteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
killerTeddy
Dungeon Master

Two light swords are tempting, i could replace the ninja with a samurai, possibly felpurr(?), to have someone a little bit more sturdy (compared to a faery, at least).
There seems to be lots of stuff for lords-only, would that be a must? Could replace my rogue, but not too sure of that. But what race for him/her? Or something different, bard or gadgie?

I'll stick to only 3 i think...
killerTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:19 PM   #4
Sinteuil
The Magister

No reason to go with a lord really, especially since the uber mace is two-handed, so it would waste the dual weapons bonus in the end, so if you ask me, a fighter with powerstrike really has the advantage here, especially with the berserk attack (I'm personally partial to dracon fighters for using this weapon, but dwarfs, humans, or lizzies will do just fine). Also, both bards and gadgies have some real advantages, particularly early in the game (new instruments and gadgie toys, as well as some really good ammunition for the omnigun available as early as the monastery). A fighter, bard/gadgie, bishop party would be quite formidable with this mod. I'd recommend a faerie bishop, since there's a faerie-only shield available that really gives them an advantage! Again, there's enough gear available in the game to make pretty much anything work, but you have my suggestions here...

[ 08-11-2005, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Sinteuil ]
Old 08-11-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Where is the light sword drop? I'm on my 4th game w/ Flame's mod and only got it once.

Still beats the hector out of the original game. Felpurs get a great amulet, I recommend the Sam. There is a good sword early and a good double-handed axe or two (Ratkins). I gave one to a Ranger and he stuck with it the whole game. Excellent staff for a Priest or Bish very early as well. If you haven't tried the mod yet, make sure you have a dwarf lord for max equipment (amulet and armor). A very good mace (single-handed) is found in the N. Wilds dungeon (I go for it midgame.) This mod even has special gloves and boots (and some other armor as drops) for faerie Nin/Psi. I'm sticking with this mod for a long time. The other mod out there seems too heavy on fighting groups that are ridiculously hard, but it might be good for a challenge.

[ 08-11-2005, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Ziggurat ]
Old 08-11-2005, 07:34 PM   #6
Sinteuil
The Magister

You need to be playing the newest version of Flame's mod to get the light sword drops. Spoiler below:

/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
One is dropped by the Ancient Hoarder slime in the Sea Caves (50% drop along with a fixed uber axe, though I've always gotten it here, so I thought it was fixed). A second is dropped by the Beast of 1000 Eyes (again a 50% drop). Also, a regular Hoarder slime in the retro dungeon or some of the Sirens at the Sea Caves can drop a third or more Light Swords, though the chances are much less (roughly about 8% with a Hoarder Slime, and probably about 4% off a Siren). I've even seen one pop up in the chest by the Buccaneer ghosts, but I'm not sure what the chances are....
Old 08-12-2005, 02:15 PM   #7
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Hmm, I didm't know those critters were in the Sea Caves in this mod. Guess I'll suit up the crew and go back to explore. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2005, 03:37 PM   #8
Sinteuil
The Magister

In case you have trouble finding the Ancient Hoarder, here's an additional spoiler:

/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
If you have X-ray on, you should be able to see it on your radar as a single yellow dot near the door/wall where you use the sledgehammer.

I've also noticed that the sword dropped by the Djinn in the Umpani flag quest is now fixed, so you can now count on two of these swords (one drop and the one that's guarded by the Djinn). If you're lucky with the spawns in the mountain wilderness, you can find even more!
Old 08-16-2005, 05:25 PM   #9
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

How do you find out which of Flame's mods you loaded? I waited for many mods before I installed, I think I may have 1.6. Would it be posted in her letter on first beach?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #10
Sinteuil
The Magister

Unfortunately, Flamestryke overlooked updating the note on the beach recently, so with version 1.1 (which is the latest), the note still reads 1.0. To determine if version 1.1 is properly installed, take a look using Mad God's editor and use the monster editor to see if the name of the Higardi Patriarch has been changed to a Higardi Matriarch, and then use the item editor to check if the Book of Meteors is readable for Alchemy professions. If so, version 1.1 is properly installed.

[ 08-16-2005, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Sinteuil ]