Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2001, 04:22 PM   #1
Marxus Aruleious
Welcomed New User

So, I'm into the second level of the tower of the Burning Hand. Party is coming along well. All around 8th/9th level. Group mix is...Human Fighter, Dwarf Fighter, Human Cleric, Elf Theif, Human Spec-Mage (Necro), Half-Elf Bard. No Multi-class here. Only had one death up to this point when clearing the second to bottom level of Dragon's eye... one day I hope to write up a story of that Epic battle. I love this game, has been one of my best game buys to date. But, I have a few questions that need answering by all you experts out there.

and the questions are...

1: Bard Songs. So far I saved and scrimped enough for the Bard Lute sold in Kuldahar, which is a nice boost to my Bard's spell casting abilites, but will I ever get more Bard songs besides the "Luck" song? If so where? My current bard song is getting more played out than Brittny Spears! I also notice diminishing returns on playing that song vs attacking and spell casting with gusto!

2: HoF and Luremaster. I don't own HoF and haven't downloaded the Luremaster add on. My questions are as follows...
A: What level is HoF written for?
B: What level is ToL written for?
C: In reading a few posts here (I avoid the spoiler topics like the plague) do I have to do something specific in HoF to be able to play the Luremaster add on? (I don't want a spoiler, but I don't want to finish one game and learn I screwed up my chance at the add on)

Thanks in advance for you replies.

Marxus Aruleious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 05:13 PM   #2
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

first of all HoF is the acronym for "heart of fury" which is a difficulty setting (levels 13+) for the Heart of Winter expansion (HoW for short). If you don't have HoW installed, then the bard doesn't learn any new songs. In HoW, there's like 5 or 6 songs to learn. You can buy HoW, but since you already bought IWD (and the HoW expansion has 'issues'), you may want to try installing it from a friend first to see if you like it (besides, it only asks for the CD2 for CD check, so you'll never need the HoW disk again...i think). After you get HoW installed, you'll be able to enter that one building in Kuldahur that has the magical green "you can't enter here" lock on it. After installing HoW and then downloading and installing Luremaster, you should see a halfling in the inn in Lonlywood (main area of HoW expansion).
that help any?
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 05:33 PM   #3
Marxus Aruleious
Welcomed New User

Thanks Leafy,

That does help in the fact that I now have lots of work to do. I'll have to buy HoW, as I follow copyright laws to the fullest. (I'll support Interplay even on a bad expansion if it means games like IWD keep coming out. *steps off soapbox*) So I get HoW, then download ToL, now what is this HoF? It sounds like HoF is just a setting on HoW that makes that expansion harder. Am I right?

Also, thanks for the info on the Bard songs, do you like them? (not wanting to much info)

Thx again!
Old 07-23-2001, 08:47 PM   #4
Khanar
Manshoon

Yup. HoF just makes the game more challenging. You can start the whole game over and play using it. You're not restricted to just using HoF during HoW games.
Khanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 10:05 PM   #5
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

bard songs are cool.. but it seems the bard sings the final song way more than any others. but you'll see in the instructions what the new bard songs do. I really liked the one that enthrals enemies, but the war chant is the coolest.
Also, druids are pimped out in the HoW expansion. A bard & a druid seems broken at high levels (not sure yet, though i'm about to find out)

as for HoF mode, it's good for reimporting your heroes from the first time through the game. that's why i'd recommend making a 4 or 5 member party, then tossing in a new class or two at the beginning of the next time around.
in time, you'll find your best strategies only involve 2 or 3 characters anyways
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 02:37 PM   #6
Axterix
Manshoon

>>1: Bard Songs. So far I saved and scrimped enough for the Bard Lute sold in Kuldahar, which is a nice boost to my Bard's spell casting abilites, but will I ever get more Bard songs besides the "Luck" song? If so where? My current bard song is getting more played out than Brittny Spears! I also notice diminishing returns on playing that song vs attacking and spell casting with gusto!

As others have said, this is a HoW thing. Hehe, and the "luck" song is really in HoW... even has Tymora in the title of that one. If you think your current song is getting played out, well, War Chant of Sith is a song your party will never tire of hearing.

>>2: HoF and Luremaster. I don't own HoF and haven't downloaded the Luremaster add on. My questions are as follows...
A: What level is HoF written for?

HoW is theoritically for 9+. Mind you, I say theoritically. The first real fight you get into is pretty much the toughest in the expansion. Being a bit higher level before you dive is typically a good idea. But if you are playing a full game, the earliest you can go is when your party is level 9 (multi/dual class adds up the levels of both classes to see if they qualify).

>>B: What level is ToL written for?
I believe ToL scales itself somewhat based upon your level. However, I think that range is for 12-18, when starting it.

>>C: In reading a few posts here (I avoid the spoiler topics like the plague) do I have to do something specific in HoF to be able to play the Luremaster add on? (I don't want a spoiler, but I don't want to finish one game and learn I screwed up my chance at the add on)

You start the adventure from Lonelywood... so once you leave it for the final time, you cannot start ToL. Basically, your last chance to start ToL is right after the barbarian camp fight. Head back to Lonelywood and you can go. Take the boat ride after the fight and it'll be too late.

As for the HoW issues, well, there are 2 primary ones... the short amount of playtime and the overly generous amounts of quest xp. Both have merit. However, ToL pretty much fixes the amount of playtime issue (and it's storyline is more interesting as well). Besides HoF mode (which adds replayability, but has a few flaws of its own... it's another notch up from insane), HoW also adds quite a few other nice additions. Bards and Druids are both made to be nice classes. The variety of weapons was improved... lots of nice bastard swords, some great clubs, short swords, slings, daggers, bolts, and everyone's favorite mace, 3 white doves. Higher screen resolutions... yet another big plus. The new voices rock. And then there are containers, another great addition. Basically, HoW rocks except that the added levels were a bit disappointing. Now, with ToL, HoW is just absolutely awesome.

Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 07:25 PM   #7
Marxus Aruleious
Welcomed New User

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their info. I downloaded ToL today at work (T3-woot!) and burned it onto CD. I'll dash out tonight and grab HoW to finish the trick. I recently gave up EQ and along with that the EQ flame... er message boards, where a question like this would have me called all sorts of icky names.

Thanks again!

------------------
Marxus Aruleious
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate me, so long as they fear me.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:02 PM   #8
Axterix
Manshoon

Hehe, yah, I lived on those boards for quite a while too... but got sick of a game that demanded when I played, as opposed to me determining when to play. Gotta say, it's great to be gone
Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote