Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

My Passport was issued in 1996, and the website says that I can renew it as long as it is within fifteen years of the date issued and is not damaged. I know that there is a new law that says that all US residents have to have a valid passport to get back into the US.

I also have a Visa issued by Mexico (non-immigrant) for a 365-day stay in Tijuana-Sonora area (which initially expired in 1998, but extended to May of 98).

I figure that the Visa is expired and no longer applicable to be renewed, but is it worth keeping for any reason other than sentimental? Would it ever help me get a Visa in the future?

And for the Passport, is there any reason to renew it if I am not planning on travelling anywhere? Is a renewal so much easier than starting over with the application process, that it warrents spending the $67.00 as a potential investment for the future?

[ 04-20-2007, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 04-20-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yes, a renewal is easier. Most places treat an expired passport like a non-existant one, meaning you would have to re-apply for a passport, showing birth certs., i.d.'s, (even police notaries) etc. Renew it while you can, just like a drivers license.

I would keep hold of the visa if I were you. If you ever need another it is your proof that you were once accepted as a visa applicant. Records have a way of going missing and this would be a good reference. Sometimes (especially back in the 90's), records were destroyed as a matter of routine. Of course, it won't stop you having to re-apply for another visa if you ever wanted one but it's a good "voucher". One of the questions on the application would be whether you were ever issued a visa before and this document is the proof that you were. Keep it.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:18 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

So... what are you going to be doing July 27, 2011? If you really know, I'm going to be both impressed and depressed

I'd renew it. It's only been expired for a year or so, and with the changes in the law, if you want to go to Canada or Mexico, you'll need it. Besides... you don't want to be trying to get it through at the last minute. That $67 will seem like chump change..

Based on my past experience, when you renew your passport, you'll have to send the old one in. They'll send both of them back to you (old and new), with the old marked so it's no longer valid.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote