Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2002, 06:51 AM   #1
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

You all know that a high-level mage (or sorc., this is not the point) is the most powerful creature in the game. I wanted to ask, is a high-level druid nearly as powerful? Or do they suck? The matter is that I wanna hit the game with a party of 2, thus still levelling rather fast, and hitting the XP cap pretty fast. My char will be a sorcerer. The other point is that I wanna do the Jaheira romance, so I chose her to be my only travelling companion. Now arises the question - will she be a real power, or just hide behind my speelcasting back??
Old 09-18-2002, 09:16 AM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

A high-level Mage/Sorcerer is the most powerful character in the game, I agree. Druids also gets strong, but not nearby as powerful. A high-level Cavalier is better, IMO.
Mages/Sorcerers gets better spells then Druids in high levels, which says alot.

As for Jaheira, she will eventually become a pretty strong character. Your Sorcerer will ofcourse be better, but Jaheira is a good choice as a NPC with a Sorcerer, because she can Druid spells, which in some situations is better then Sorcerers, and she is a Fighter.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 09:24 AM   #3
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

Only one question stays: will not she prtevent me from levelling real fast, by taking 2/3 of all XP - she's a multiclass, and I've heard somewhere that XP is distributed so that multiclassed chars get a portion for each class, thus getting most XP in the party. And, I am used to playing some trics with invisibility, the ones that make enemies chase me all around the map, occasionally recieving a FoD etc... she will probably be a dead load in my party, because she is not a good tank at all, and I feel I will end up in hiding her in a far corner, killing everybody myself then. All the trouble in sake of a single romance... Weird, weird.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:30 AM   #4
Sir Exxon
Zartan

I wouldnt worry about it if it's only going to be the two of you. Sorcerers level up really fast, so 1/3 of all XP would be good enough.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 09:32 AM   #5
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

Have to give it a try. All that makes me want it is that I heard that Jaheira romance is really worth playing. Is it?
Old 09-18-2002, 10:00 AM   #6
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

It was my understanding that each character gets a share of the experience. If there are only two characters, then each character gets half of the experience, if there are three, then each will get one third. If a character is multi-classed, then their share of the experience is divided equally between their two classes.

Example: your sorcerer and Jahiera.
You kill a lightning mephit at the beginning of the game (420 exp).
each of you get 210 exp (420/2=210).
Jahiera gets 105 exp for her fighter class and 105 for her druid class (210/2=105).

So multi-classed characters level REALLY slowly in a large party, as in a party of six, each of their classes will be getting 1/12 of the experience points gained.

enjoy
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 10:54 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

White Lancer's calculations are correct.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 11:33 AM   #8
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
Druids also gets strong, but not nearby as powerful. A high-level Cavalier is better, IMO.
I disagree.One spell makes all the difference - Nature's Beauty.
Most people don't even bother to give it a second look... *sigh*

Note the *no save*, *permanent* Blindness.

A Blind creature is a dead creature.
The Insta-Dying part is only gravy.
It's really one of the best spells in the game.

Quote:

Jaheira is a good choice as a NPC with a Sorcerer,
Dundee will disagree...
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 11:47 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Druids are powerful, and I was expecting somebody to mention Insect Plague or Creeping Doom( although it can be countered). Nevertheless, they are potent, what with Ironskins, Summon Elementals, Call Lightning, Call Woodland Beings, etc... ...

As for the concept of Jaheira and a Sorcerer... well... from a roleplaying point of view, I guess she will drive Odin Magnus into a psychopathic rage which will lead him on a rampage across Faerun, kicking Jon Irenicus' butt and teaching Bodhi the meaning of pain and suffering. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 12:11 PM   #10
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Druids are powerful, and I was expecting somebody to mention Insect Plague or Creeping Doom( although it can be countered). Nevertheless, they are potent, what with Ironskins, Summon Elementals, Call Lightning, Call Woodland Beings, etc... ...
These are all good spells, but none are as good as Nature's Beauty.
If NB was an Arcane Spell, it would've been at least level 8, IMO.
No in game creature, AFAIK, is immune to Blindness!

Two more things about this spells:
First, it's radius is actually TWICE the size the Manual claims...

*** Cheese Alert ***

Second, you can cast this spell while remaining INVISIBLE!!!
This is a HUGE plus...
And it's really funny if you read the spell desciption...
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote