Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Ok, so I've got my new XP OS, But now I've got my hard drive with XP Pro installed but not activated on my 160 GB seagate drive. As far as I know, XP home doesn't install over top of a pre-existing XP, I could be wrong, and if thats the case feel free to tell me and end my woes. So I want to wipe clear the hard drive and install from a clean slate. However I can't seem to find out how that might be done in the Seagate utility disc.

That's one thing Western Digital seemed to do better at least, I could write zeroes to the entire drive with no problem. In fact a child could have done it. But Seagate isn't so forthcoming. Anyone can possibly help?

P.S. for those who missed my previous topic, just activating the current OS isn't an option because of some messed up crap about OEM products.

[ 07-30-2006, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Firestormalpha ]

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
Zebodog

When booting from the XP CD, you should have the option to do a fresh install, i.e. format the hard drive. It will give two options a quick format, which just erases the partition table, and a full format. Go for the full format, but it will take much longer. Just read the prompts, and you'll be fine.

It goes without saying that either method will effectively render any exisitng data on the drive unreadable, so back up your important stuff first!
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Do you have both harddrives installed on the same computer? If so, you should be able to format the appropriate drive, if it's set to slave. You can't do that with a master harddrive, as Windows is using it, but if you set the drive you want to install XP on to a slave, and have both set up in the computer, you can format the slave drive, and start over with your install. It will wipe it completely clean that way.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:47 PM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Ok, well to explain a little clearer. I have only one hard drive in my computer, replaced the old one. Installed old OS, but it was OEM and can't activate on anything but the old hardware.

Now, if I'm reading what Zebedog writes correctly, I just pop in the new XP disc, select the full install option and it'll wipe out the old stuff if I select such and option and install the new OS. Am I getting this right?

Old 07-30-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Yes, that's right. Just make sure you test your backups before you do a full format.

I would suggest you try and install over your previous OS, just in case. But yes, I have a feeling you're right and 'downgrades' aren't allowed which will mean you have to format.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
Zebodog

If for some reason the version of XP you now have doesn't have SP2 integrated (if it's new, it should) then grab SP2 first and burn it to CD, then install it before connecting to the net.

A fresh, unpatched version of XP will last about 10 seconds on a broadband connection before becomming infected.
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Thanks to all who helped. I am now up and running quite well.