Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

That means something is physically wrong with one of my Hard drive. I dont know if it will fail to the point. I do need suggestions because I have two HD (one just newly installed 200gig) and an old 80gig one. I cant determine which HD is producing the clicking noise. One clue I have gotten is when I recieved a blue screen of death saying there is something physically wrong with one of my HD but no clue which one.

IS there any program that can check the hard drives with physical errors besides check disk? So how do you do a DOS check disk?

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

right click in explorer on the drives, and choose to check the disk for errors. Reboot, and it'll do the test. Whichever either freezes while trying to check it, OR reports bad sectors is the bad drive.

(I had an 8-gig fail last week.)

BACK UP EVERYTHING you need before you check it. Checking it CAN make it fail for good.

Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:30 AM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hmm... this is a big problem for me. I dont have space for my computer for a backup (especially if its my 200gig thats the problem.) hmmm.. wish me luck!

Catch me if you can..
Old 07-25-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

I wish you luck!
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Can you not just remove/unplug the power lead from one of the drives and listen for clicks afterwards?

If the 200GB drive is brand new then it's more likely to be that.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
dominions
Elminster

My advice?
Unplug (but do not removed!) the problem hard disc.
Buy another hard disc of similar size, put it on as the boot master and install windows and your motherbopard drivers.
Switch everything off, plug the old hard disc back in but as a slave (or secondary) hard disc. it will then appear as drive D, E or whatever. You can now copy your data from the old hard disc to the new one all the while putting minimum strain on the old one.

Obviously this means you need to buy another hard disc, but you will have to replace this one anyway.

Mike
[img]\"http://www.shalewyn.com/Images/KrynnWhiteDragon1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Hah!\", thought the white dragon. \"A wand of Ice Storm will never harm me!\"<br />He never did figure out that he was in a CRPG...
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:46 PM   #8
dominions
Elminster

BTW Ziroc is totally right about putting the drive through hard disc checker: it can very well hasten it's demise.
[img]\"http://www.shalewyn.com/Images/KrynnWhiteDragon1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Hah!\", thought the white dragon. \"A wand of Ice Storm will never harm me!\"<br />He never did figure out that he was in a CRPG...
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:17 AM   #9
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

thanks guys for the advice. I did a check disk and the hard drive of my 200gig doesnt seem to have any errors.

So by the process of elimination, my 80 gig may be the problem, I will do a check disk just to be sure. My 80 gig is partitioned into 40 gig each. Hopefully, I can determine which Hard drive is the problem.

Catch me if you can..
Old 07-26-2006, 09:03 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

ok I did a scan disk but nothing came up with scanning all my drives.. Granted the clicking sound I hear.. happens once in awhile (meaning very random of not hearing after a couple of days) and that blue screen error happened twice over a span of 4 months.

I guess in a way Im glad for my computer to last abit longer to backup my files

Catch me if you can..