Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2001, 01:55 PM   #1
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

When (if) you read the newspaper, which section do you usually read first?
Do you read the entire newspaper or just browse certain sections?
Which newspaper(s) do you read (if you read any )?

My answers
I usually read the front page first and then flip to Money/Business section
I don't usually read the entire newspaper unless I have a lot of time (flying, having coffee).
I read the local papers (Star Tribune and Pioneer Press), Wall Street Journal, and USA Today.

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 04:31 PM   #2
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

I used to be a very avid reader of daily newspapers, but I find that most regional newspapers here in Germany have been getting less and less interesting over the past two decades (especially as a result of cutting down on in-depth articles and by growing more and more wary/unwilling to take any kind of stance that could be considered at least slightly "off center/mainstream"), to a point where it is almost a waste of time and money to read them. I hold a subscription
of "Die Zeit", Germany's most prestigious weekly newspaper, though. There I read almost everything, politics, business/economics, reportages, "feuilleton" (features). What I don't read that often are the literary supplement(makes me feel guilty) and the lifestyle section. Unfortunately that newspaper does not a sports section - for information on that I rely mostly on the internet and is lacking, mostly in quantity, less so in quality, in coverage on foreign politics, a special interest of mine. Even more unfortunately the newspaper with the by far best foreign policy section in Germanyis is the "Frankfurter Allgemeine" (FAZ), a very conservative publication. Every time I try to read anything other than the foreign policy section in there for an extended period of time I am quickly starting to develop ulcers: having your personal beliefs challenged on a daily basis is very challenging - in the best of ways, enlightening and stimulating if it is done at the highest intellectual level, but also in the worst of ways, maddening and infuriating, if it is done at a level just one notch below.

A Norwegian publishing house started to distribute a free daily newspaper at the subway stations here in Cologne a little over a year ago and of course the two local tabloids had to follow suit with free versions of their own. Naturally the quality of the best of the three is only slightly over tabloid-level, but still an okay read for during a subway ride.

For up to date information, (but also for features and reports) I almost exclusively turn to the radio these days. Luckily, Germany has a fairly diverse and highly developed public radio system. I sold my TV set a year ago and have yet to really regret it.

During my two one-year-stays abroad I found The Oregonian in Portland to be a very good quality newspaper, while La Vanguardia in Barcelona is simply the best newspaper I have ever read regularly. Barcelona is just top in every category. Sigh !

(excerpt from: "Ramon. A user manual. Section 386 - On media use")

Look, Ramon, the lurker and teaser, had already been back for a couple of weeks, but now Ramon, the rambler, has returned as well.

------------------
So long !

R³ - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks

Btw, the cow is queuing in the slaughterhouse right now !
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 05:57 PM   #3
Djinn Raffo
Ra

First the sports section...always.
Then the world section of the news...then national...then provincial.
After that I will flip haphazard through business, entertainment, new homes,
travel, funnies etc.

One thing I try to do if i'm driving through or staying in a small town:
Read the classifieds...yeah that's right...check out what the people
are selling, lost and found...you know? This gives you a great
view of what has been going on in town...the pulse of the community.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 07:07 PM   #4
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I usually browse the papers through a couple of time, checking mostly headlines from all sections in order, start to finish..

Mostly the news from abroad and local, comic and TV section.

I read Göteborgs Posten Hehe, checking most news online, CNN, Times three Swedish sites, and some others too..

------------------

Yawning lazywolf dreaming about nice little fairies...zzzzz
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 07:51 PM   #5
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Ha, me method :

Sport first of course - devour all pages of that section.
Then go to the front, but leafing through and scanning for interesting headlines.
Letters to the editor - to see what the local West Aussies are passoniate about today
Comics - a must read at any age.

And what papers do I read - very limited selection over here - "The West Australian" is pretty much it.

------------------
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 07:25 AM   #6
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

comics first
news second
movies third
I ignore the sports altogether....
adam warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 10:30 AM   #7
Lord Shield

I don't read newspapers. Any news I want to find out I get from Reuters web site and not translated by opininionated reports who exaggerate what they like

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
http://lordraptor0.tripod.com/index.html
Old 07-03-2001, 01:57 PM   #8
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Front page and then sports, then classifieds. I read the local paper. I do go up and occasionally read national papers online though.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?
Sir Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote