Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Does anyone play them?

I want to learn, but I have a few problems.

First off space. I have no where to put them. Can you buy drums that fold down/at least become smaller so I can set them up when I play? I have a big bedroom, enough room for drums, but with a fold-up pool table too, it would mean one or the other.

Second, how difficult are they to learn? I don't expect to be a pro in weeks, months, heck even years, but I want to be able to do something rather than annoy parents and neighbours *grins*
Old 02-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Electronic kits are more compact and they also have the feature of plugging in headphones so that your neighbors do not shoot you. However, I do not own nor like them electronic sets.

Space depends on how big you want the set to be, and knowing that add-ons can come later when you've learned the basics is the key. Setting up in a corner is a good way to deal with the space for a small set. Oh...and traditional sets can be broken down into many small parts. Setup time depends on how many parts and experience. Average about 10-15 minutes, if you want a number for a simple set broken down competely.

Easiness to learn? Well...there are no intricate finger positions like a guitar...and there is no requirement on learning notes and scales...So I would say they are easier than any other band instrument. Depending on how good you are is related to how you know how to make complex beats and keep tempo...as well as how physically well you are. It takes more brawn, than brain, imo.

Different drumming styles will tell you different things about which part of the set is the primary instruments and which are the secondary or fill-ins. What style of music do you hope to start learning first?

[ 02-17-2006, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 02-17-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

There are a couple more of us out here... I'm sure they'll be weighing in.

Space is always a consideration. My electronic set takes up about 1/2 to 2/3 of Larry's footprint in his pictures... about three feet deep by five feet wide, more or less. I've added to my kit; originally, it was about 3x4. And it does compress down rather nicely... much more so than an acoustic set. A poll running on edrumming.com (a good reference site for electronic drums) shows that quiet play is the number one thing people like about their electronic kits.

To put it in perspective, Buddy Rich played a traditional jazz kit -- kick drum, snare, one tom, one floor tom -- with one extra floor tom. Neil Peart from Rush has two snares, a kick drum, five toms, three floor toms, three electronic drum pads, and an electronic MalletKat that acts like a vibraphone. And then Neil's got his other electronic kit that he uses during his solo... another five electronic tom and snare pads and a kick drum pad. I'm not sure I could fit Neil's kit in my house [img]smile.gif[/img] Both are giants, though...

As for how long it takes to learn... well, that's up to you. Drumming really consists of rudiments... base elements that you combine with each other into music. Once you know the rudiments, it's a lot easier. If you've ever played music before, it's also easier. If you haven't, I'd definitely start out with a few lessons.

I'll say that while there's a lot of brain mixed in with the brawn, it really revolves around learning to use all four limbs completely independently. Typically both hands and both feet are doing different things, and often the only thing they have in common is that they start off on beat one. Sometimes [img]smile.gif[/img] They may be related, or they may be totally unrelated.

Grab some sticks and a practice pad, and start on rudiments. Then expand out, and remember that the purpose is to have fun!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Bill Bruford.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

I can't explain the type of music I like, I can only give examples who you may not know, as they are.

http://www.myspace.com/twentydefinitions <--- the songs on that site, is the kind of music I like, and what I'd like to play.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Re: The song on that website...That's easy enough to start learning as a beginner. Not counting the fill-ins, the main beat he was playing the most simple of all beats to master.

I used to play with my headphones on, listening to the music to learn how to do what I was hearing.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:12 PM   #7
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

So my best bet is electric drums cause they are small (Cheap?) and I won't piss off everyone living near me?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:45 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I wouldn't go cheap... [img]smile.gif[/img]

You've got at least three electronic options.

First, you can buy an entry level electronic kit. Unfortunately, things available in the States aren't always available where you are, so it can get tricky. Expect to pay around US$750 for an entry-level kit like a Hart Prodigy, Roland TD3, or Yamaha DTExpress. That may or may not include the module, which is really the most important part. For reference, though, you can get a basic five-piece acoustic kit for around US$500 or so, depending on shipping and sales. Ebay can be your friend... really [img]smile.gif[/img]

Second, you can buy a Yamaha DD55 for around US$100 or less. It's not a full drum set, but it does let you play like one. You can work on your skills and rhythms with it, and since it's electronic, you've got that headphone thing going. It's not as "cool" as a real drum set, but it also take a lot less time to set up, take down, and carry around [img]smile.gif[/img]

Third, you could build your own kit. I'm toying with this a little bit as I look at what I'd like to have different in my kit, but the biggest difference is the brain, or module. I want a module that costs twice what I've already spent on my kit and all my add-ons There's a DIY (Do-It-Yourself) forum at edrumming.com that would come in handy for this.

Just thought of another alternative... find someone who's looking to get rid of a drumset, and offer to take it on a trial basis. Pay 'em a few bucks a month, and if you decide you don't like it, give 'em the drums back. If you do, apply the few bucks towards the price. They win either way, and you do too.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:04 AM   #9
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Hmmm... I've been playing for five years now and still without my own kit... STOP MAKING ME FEEL JEALOUS! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Although I do live right next to my school, and my Dad is the head master, so I caaaan use that set.

But, (and I swear, there is no spite here at all) I don't know if I would recommend getting a kit straight off. Drum sets are expensive instruments, and not neighbour friendly (or family friendly for that matter). Electronic kits are obviously the way out in that case, but I dislike the feel of them when I play... Although if you are just starting, you may not have built up my prejudice [img]tongue.gif[/img]

As to time to learn, I really don't know. Probably the best thing is to take some lessons at first, and then see if you can get some friends to form a band with you. Just helps to jam at weekends. Plus it keeps you interested...
Old 02-19-2006, 03:59 AM   #10
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Oh yes, here are some informative sites...

http://drumsdatabase.com/buying_a_drum_set.htm

http://www.drumjunction.com/electronic_drum.html

http://www.drumjunction.com/electronic_drum.html