Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2003, 01:47 PM   #1
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Don't you just hate it when you have a load of things that you could and should be doing but don't feel like doing any of them. Instead you sit all day in your room, posting on here and listening to music, all the while your conscience eating away at you cos you're not doing your work but you can't motivate yourself to do it. It's pathetic and I'm like this way too often. Pathetic. Anyone else get like this?
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 10-12-2003, 01:52 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yup. I can sit in my apartment all day doing nothing when I know there's tons of stuff that must be done. I just don't have the motivation to do it sometimes. I think the odd day of doing nada is okay...but if It's every day then that's a problem [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Old 10-12-2003, 01:59 PM   #3
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Man, I have that exact same problem right this second. I'm at university, I'm now off from Thursday to Tuesday, I've got three massive projects due, and yet I just sit here listening to CDs and watching crappy tv shows. I can't for the life of me get started. Worrying about it takes up all my time yet I just can't ever put my head down and do it. I know life would be so much easier if I just got it out of the way quickly, but there's no way in hell it's ever going to happen.

Anyway, good luck with it, just try and do little bits at a time, and don't stress over it.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:59 PM   #4
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

I am having this feeling today at work. Just not much going on so I find myself waiting for next new post to come up so I can at very lest read it.

But it is lunch time so now I get to eat. Of coarse this only takes 10 Min then I am back to being bored again.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:05 PM   #5
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I too feel like that right now. I've got a big essay due this Thursday and another one due on Friday, and I havn't even started yet. It just sits in your stomach and you start worrying, till you finally start doing it the day before it's due...

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 10-12-2003, 02:28 PM   #6
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Hmmm, as of late (beginning this new semester), I'm gaving it the other way around. Whenever there is work to be done, I become fanatic! I'll do it immediately and I'll do it right! It just whenever I can relax and do some fun stuff I start slacking.... I don't go out at saturdays (mainly because I have no money at the moment, but I don't even make the attempt). I don't call my friends, I do nothing except making homework and hanging around forums on the net. Its like, I dont care about the outside world anymore.... Really creepy since Im only 22 years old....

For the rest of you who are like Vaskez: get motivated! Its important! Here's how I do it: whenever there was work to be done, be it household chores or school projects, I would go into I'll-do-it-later-mode and start doing something else. This is the turning point: stop doing what your doing (that is if it is safe to stop ) and force yourself to think about your current course of action. Say it is wrong, that you are a lamer for being too lazy to do the things that *need* to be done. Continue the thought-process, make yourself face the fact that if you would do the responsible thing, you would feel better and can safely do the 'fun' stuff! This is how I disciplined myself into doing my work *before* doing my play! Hope it helps somehow....
Old 10-12-2003, 02:43 PM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

Awww Vask, are you sure you aren't just fishing for some hugs?
Well, you sound like you could use one anyway: a big *hug* and then a swift kick in the arse GET BACK TO WORK DAMMIT!

But seriously - I do know the problem. I've got a serious lack of discipline and often finish work with the deadline looming over my head. I think to some extent it does have to do with my secondary school experiences: I was a quite quick learner (had a knack for quickly learning lots of stuff by heart) and I never really needed to work extremely hard to get good grades. That actually works against you. I knew a guy at uni who went through three subsequent hierarchical secondary school types (for the Dutchies: MAVO, HAVO, VWO) in order to obtain a diploma that would allow him to enter university. He wasn't exactly the sharpest pencil in the box but he had iron discipline and worked his way up through sheer perseverance. But for each course, he had to do thrice the amount of work that I did.
Anyway, now that I can finally study again after such a long gap, I'm finally getting a bit more like him: I'm quite fanatical when it comes to preparing schoolwork. It's just that I'm so thankful I'm well enough to study again, that I don't want to screw it up. But knowing myself it cannot take long before I start slacking again We'll see....
Old 10-12-2003, 02:51 PM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Yep, that's the story of my life. I always need a good kick to get me out of this chair. On a scale of 0 to 10, i score an 8 in lazyness.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:22 PM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Heh thanks guys, didn't think I'd be the only one. I hate it. Sometimes I wish I could just turn into a machine...you know: this is my current objective, no feelings like laziness etc. getting in the way, just do it and get it done like a machine
Old 10-12-2003, 03:33 PM   #10
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Oh yes. All the time. Today, in fact, I just sat in my room listening to a German song instead of doing work... "Willst du bis zum"...

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke