Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2003, 06:50 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

Yuck!

269 animals rescued from house

More than 250 animals kept in "absolutely disgusting" conditions have been seized from a house in Lancashire.

The RSPCA said the rescue of the pets from the house in Carnforth is the biggest seizure in the history of the charity and 26 staff took two days to complete it.

Officers rescued 244 dogs, 16 parrots, seven cats, a rabbit and a chinchilla from the three-bedroomed property. Some of the animals were crammed in to the basement and loft.

A middle-aged couple, who own the house, have been interviewed by RSPCA inspectors.

A local source described conditions at the house as "absolutely and utterly disgusting".

Some of the animals needed treatment from two vets, who were brought in by the charity to check the animals over.

The haul of dogs included shih-tzus, dachshunds, lhasa apsos, bearded collies, corgis, chihuahuas, poodles, pekinese and Yorkshire terriers.

The birds included a macaw, Amazonian parrot and an African Grey.

All the animals have been taken to various RSPCA animal centres across the country, following the seizure on 10 September.

Story from BBC NEWS:
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 09-18-2003, 07:01 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Same kinda thing happened here some time ago, except it was a house full of bunnies. The woman who lived among them was litteraly sitting in the middle of a giant pile of bunny shit. She never cleaned it up.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:07 AM   #3
Sythe
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Same kinda thing happened here some time ago, except it was a house full of bunnies. The woman who lived among them was litteraly sitting in the middle of a giant pile of bunny shit. She never cleaned it up.
That is so disgusting talk about lazieness.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:18 AM   #4
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

I know that 269 animals in one "three-bedroomed property" is too much, but is this any better (this is actually allowed in most countries)?:

http://worldanimal.net/batthen2.html

[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Insane
Old 09-18-2003, 08:20 AM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by InsaneBane:
I know that 269 animals in one "three-bedroomed property" is too much, but is this any better (this is actually allowed in most countries)?:

Insane
Great post [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] All 3 stories are sad, and it's great that there are people out there caring for the dogs and rabbits, but to me all animals should be treated with respect. I loathe what they do to chickens and also pigs

And thanks for just posting a link to a "normal" pic of battery hens, If people want to see the worst case pics i'm sure that link or PETA or such will take you there.

[ 09-18-2003, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 09-18-2003, 09:08 AM   #6
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Happens here too. Most of the time these people that keep animals like that tend to be old and/or a brick shy of a load. They start out with the best of intentions in giving animals homes, but as they bring in more and more animals they eventually get overwhelmed. the sad part about it is many of these animals are typically put down, because they are too far to sick.

I'd estimate we have at least a case or two a year like that in East Tennessee. The really sad cases in my mind occur when the authorities catch people for the second time for this.

Don't forget folks, that there are simply tons of animals in your local shelters and varoius rescue organizations that are literally "Dying" to find a new home.

And While I'm on the subject, if anyone lives here in the south and would like to adopt a Basset Hound, Basset Hound Rescue of Georgia is in DIRE need of people to adopt their dogs! Here is their website. You can go to their website and view many of their dogs. We adopted one last year and she has been a great dog! Loves the couch and loves my lap! We'd get another one, but we have two dogs now (the other is a Red-bone mix we got from our local animal shelter).
Old 09-18-2003, 03:39 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

You can find other similar stories by watching Animal Precinct and Animal Cops (both Detroit and Houston) on Animal Planet. Weekly pathetic stories of animal abuse and overcrowding. *sigh*

A reasonable rule I once heard was "one animal per bedroom", unless you have other arrangements like a backyard kennel or stalls.

The worst problems here in TX are dog fights, rooster fights, and puppy mills. [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:55 PM   #8
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by InsaneBane:

Great point [img]smile.gif[/img] . The other day three guys (two 16, one 15) went into a barn which housed hens; they were actually not battery hens and had a reasonable time of it, and used golf clubs to slaughter 500 of the chickens. It's almost best not to think about how they could do such a thing as the conclusion would be so depressing
Old 09-18-2003, 05:05 PM   #9
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
269 animals rescued from house
I think this could be a case of an actual psychological disorder called "hoarding".

Edit - just a quick link... the first one I found: http://www.critterhaven.org/hoarding_animals.htm

[ 09-18-2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Spelca ]
Old 09-18-2003, 10:45 PM   #10
Son of Osiris

I bet ya fifty bucks God'll smite those bumholes!
[img]graemlins/lightning.gif[/img]
Oop! they just got fried. *ground rumbles*
[img]graemlins/skeleton1.gif[/img]
Hmm...the Dead are awake and they seem to be giving the Scumbag couple wedgies, noogies, wet willies and now...OH DEAR GOD!!! THE DREADED REAR ADMIRAL!!! Hey, what's that upon the cieling?
[img]graemlins/monster12.gif[/img]
SPIDERS!! They've just webbed the couple! The couple just got out of the webbing...uh oh. I feel an urge to call up my buddies, come out of my bunker, march over there, and kick the couple's sadistic asses...Can't...fight...urge...Come on boys! Let's go!
[img]graemlins/2gunfire.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rambo.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/shooter18.gif[/img]

Hey, God did smite them...no wait a minute. I delivered the last shot...so that means I smote them... [img]graemlins/doh.gif[/img]