Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2003, 04:55 AM   #1
B_part
Quintesson

I have a problem: data on my HD is fragmented, badly. And Win cannot defrag it properly, although I have 6 Gb of free disk space. Norton speed disk is not an option: 12 hrs running, 3% data moved and the situations has gotten even worse. I don't have enough time to let it run for a week to solve the problem. Neither can I free more disk space for the time being.

Do any of you know a good defragging program to solve my problem? Or has any tips?

Tnx
Old 08-11-2003, 04:58 AM   #2
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Norton's Speed Disk is good as far as I know, are you shutting down all of your programs before you run it? Those may tend to slow down the defragmentation a bit, but the reason for being so lengthy is probably due to the amount of misplaced information you have, though I've had mine at 50% before and it still finishes in 2 hours max.

Sorry B
Old 08-11-2003, 05:02 AM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I ran into that problem once, turn all of Norton's utils off, and use the Windows defragment program, and be sure to run a scan disc, before you defrag, if not, it will encounter errors, and just keep restarting. Tell scan to automatically fix errors too. Hope that helps
Old 08-11-2003, 05:16 AM   #4
philip
Galvatron

I defragmentated my coputer once, it took me 16 hours. So now I'd rather format it if it's possible, that takes around 2 hours to get everything back (~1 hour format and windows install. rest drivers, games and backups). If you do make sure you have backups from everything important!

edit: and your install disk for your operating system!!!

[ 08-11-2003, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: philip ]
Old 08-11-2003, 05:43 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

just try and leaving your computer for like 1 day or two. defrag really takes a long time.. but if its more than that.. better reformat..

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-11-2003, 06:10 AM   #6
Zero Alpha

Quote:
Originally posted by philip:
I defragmentated my coputer once, it took me 16 hours. So now I'd rather format it if it's possible, that takes around 2 hours to get everything back (~1 hour format and windows install. rest drivers, games and backups). If you do make sure you have backups from everything important!

Once?? [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] your supposed to do it weekly!! frankly im supprised it only took 16 hours if you only ever defragmented once. and how is formatting your computer better than waiting a few hours?? it would take me days to get my computer back to the same state.

defragment, scandisk, viruscan, and spyware scan regularly!
Old 08-11-2003, 07:05 AM   #7
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Alpha:
quote:
Originally posted by philip:

Once?? [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] your supposed to do it weekly!! frankly im supprised it only took 16 hours if you only ever defragmented once. and how is formatting your computer better than waiting a few hours?? it would take me days to get my computer back to the same state.

defragment, scandisk, viruscan, and spyware scan regularly!
[/QUOTE]I didn't change many things. I had done a format before and only installed NWN and BGII. My computer isn't connected to internet so i don't get much mess on my computer. formatting your computer takes a lot less time = ,ore time to play with it. i didnt find it very hard to get my computer back to what it was, as i said above 2 hours. so i think it's better and when I need to do it again I'll do a format.

i need to do scandisk BEFORE I defrag. that takes even longer to do cause of searching for bad clusters (that weren't even there) and format checks immediately and in 10 seconds for bad clusters and stuff and then defrags and clears out everything I don't need and didn't use for a long time (i'm lazy to do that stuff myself)
Old 08-11-2003, 11:48 AM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Make sure that you don't have any screen savers active on your machine when you defrag, and turn off any power management options (like powering down the hard disk). I now have a standard power management setting called "defrag" for just this reason...

The screensaver kicking in can reset the defrag (since something has changed), and the defrag gets all confused when the hard drives shut down.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:06 PM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
just try and leaving your computer for like 1 day or two. defrag really takes a long time.. but if its more than that.. better reformat..
What ??? That's every PC owner's worst nightmare.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:20 PM   #10
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

The first thing I would do if I were you is run Live Update to make sure you are running the latest version of Norton Speed disk. Next right click on IE go to properties and then click delete files. All of those small 1k Internet files will slow down defrag. Also remove anything in your temp folders that looks like it should not be there. c:\temp c:\windows\temp C:\Documents and Settings\(user name)\Local Settings\Temp. Anything ending in .tmp any directories that do not have understandable names. Make sure you leave Cookies, Excel, History, Tempory Internet Files, Word, and VBE directories. Also if you run in to .tmp files that will not delete try and delete them right after you reboot.

Now that all of this is done reboot. Shudown all programs you can. This does include those Icons next to your clock. [img]smile.gif[/img] Also big yes on the screensaver idea. Set it to (None) until this is finished. Also check your power setting about turning off hard drives and the like. No big deal about powering down the monitor.

That is my two cents. If this does not help you please post what your OS is that would help. Also look at the speed disk window the last icon on it on the left hand side should let you schedule when it runs a defrag which you can have run once a week. If you leave you pc on 24/7 have it do it when you are not there or asleep. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Granamere

One last thing. If you have a 120 GB harddrive and only 6 GB free it will have a very hard time running defrag. If you run widons defrag it will tell you that it has to have 10% of the hard drive free before it can run. Now if you have a 8 Gig drive and 6 Gig free you need to go buy more games before we can allow you to post on this board anymore. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-11-2003, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Granamere ]