Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2003, 12:43 PM   #1
Grojlach
Zartan

Arrow

U.S. warns NATO over war crime law

BRUSSELS, Belgium (CNN) -- Washington will oppose building a new NATO headquarters in Brussels because Belgian law allows "absurd" war crimes lawsuits against U.S. officials, U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said.

"Belgium needs to recognize that there are consequences to its actions," Rumsfeld said Thursday.
"This law calls into serious question whether NATO can continue to hold meetings in Belgium and whether senior U.S. officials, military and civilian, will be able to visit international organizations in Belgium."
The comments, made after a meeting of NATO defense ministers, marked Rumsfeld's latest swing at European allies who opposed the U.S.-led war in Iraq -- countries he earlier dismissed as "old Europe."
Rumsfeld said he was not threatening Belgium with the loss of NATO headquarters, but he added, "It's perfectly possible to meet elsewhere."
"We will have to oppose any further spending for construction for a new NATO headquarters here in Belgium until we know for certain that Belgium intends to be a hospitable place for NATO to conduct its business, as it has been for so many years," Rumsfeld said.
A lawsuit filed in Brussels in April accused Gen. Tommy Franks, commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East, of war crimes in the Iraq war.
Another case accuses former U.S. President George Bush, his top commanders and senior officials of war crimes in the 1991 Persian Gulf War.
The defendants in the latter case include Vice President Dick Cheney, who was then defense secretary; Secretary of State Colin Powell, then chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; and retired Gen. Norman Schwartzkopf, then head of the U.S. Central Command.
"The suits are absurd," Rumsfeld said. "There is no general in history who has gone to greater lengths than General Franks and his superb team to avoid civilian casualties."
Other human rights cases have been filed in Belgian courts against Cuban leader Fidel Castro, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat, former Chilean military dictator Augusto Pinochet and Rwandan President Paul Kagame, according to Human Rights Watch.
Rumsfeld said Belgium "has turned its legal system into a platform for divisive politicized lawsuits against her NATO allies." However, he said the alliance is "not in a crisis."
"This organization is healthy. We've had superb meetings," he said. "Its moving forward to transform itself to fit the 21st century."

Source: CNN

And a piece from an article from a Dutch newspaper called NRC which also contains a response from the Belgian Government:

Quote:
The American Secretary of Defense, Rumsfeld, has warned in agressive phrases that "absurd" complaints in Belgium against American generals and leaders threaten Belgium's role as NATO host.

"This law seriously raises the question whether NATO can continue convening in Belgium", Rumsfeld stated in the twice-a-year meeting of NATO Defense Ministers in Brussels. "It is very well possible to meet elsewhere. Belgium must understand that there are consequences to its behavior."

Rumsfeld announced the US will block spending for the new NATO headquarters for as long as the Belgian Genocide Act of 1993 allows prosecution of foreigners for human rights violations. (...) The costs of the new headquarters, which should function at the end of this decennium, are estimated at 350 million, a quarter of which is paid by the US and three quarters of which is paid by the EU and other NATO member states. Construction is supposed to commence in 2005.

Rumsfelds statement comes at a time when NATO members try to unite after the Iraq-crisis and after agreeing on modernisation of the command structure. Rumsfeld condemned the recent complaint filed against the American general Franks for human rights violations during the Iraq war and complaints against ex-President Bush, Vice-President Cheney, State Secretary Powell and former general Schwarzkopf for their roles in the Gulf War. The complaint was lodged on behalf of a group of duped Iraqi's during the last war in the region.

The Belgian government is very surprised by this outburst. "I do not understand the issue", Foreign Affairs Minister Michel said. He pointed out the Genocide Act had already been changed recently to suit American demands, something the American government had been very pleased by. The new Act indicates that complaints will be referred to the country of the accused, if it has an acceptable justice system.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:03 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

This is all the result of one catastrophic flaw in US foreign policy: allowing Don Rumsfeld to open his big mouth. There is only one thing wise I've ever heard him say, and that was a call for an expert in the room to field a question he knew nothing about.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:56 PM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
This is all the result of one catastrophic flaw in US foreign policy: allowing Don Rumsfeld to open his big mouth. There is only one thing wise I've ever heard him say, and that was a call for an expert in the room to field a question he knew nothing about.
I agree Timber. One good thing though is that when I see the name Don Rumsfeld it saves me from reading entire articles.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:00 PM   #4
MagiK

Since you are all picking on Don Rumsfeld try this on for size...umm it will only be pertinent to US tax payers [img]smile.gif[/img]

US Airforce has a contract with Boeing for 35Billion per year to lease some of their aircraft as in flight fuel tankers because the KC135 fleet the air force has is "aging" Rumsfeld is fighting COngress who all want this contract with Boeing (pork don't ya know) to instead spend the 3.5 billion it would cost to upgrade the KC135. So TL you should agree with him on this at least....he is trying to reduce government spending.

By the way, This article that Grojlach posted is half of what I was ranting about in that other thread about Belgium [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2003, 05:46 PM   #5
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

By the way, This article that Grojlach posted is half of what I was ranting about in that other thread about Belgium [img]smile.gif[/img]
I know; but as you were going slightly off-topic in the other topic, I thought it'd be best to start another one on this subject (when I stumbled upon the above article, anyways ).
Old 06-13-2003, 06:14 PM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

From N.R.O.:

Posted at 10:08 AM

THE BELGIES [Jonah Goldberg]

I'm totally behind Rummy's swat at the Belgians yesterday. But, it seems to me, we could solve this whole Belgian court problem quite easily. The Belgians claim their courts have jurisdiction over our government officials and military officers. Fine. We should simply declare that we do not recognize this law and that any attempt to detain, abduct or arrest an American official -- current or former -- will be seen as an act of piracy and kidnapping and hence tantamount to an act of war. Who cares what laws they pass? If Iran said it has a law that justifies jailing Dick Cheney would we say "Oh, we didn't know that. Can we send him care packages?" No, we'd unload the Arsenal of Democracy on 'em. I don't think we need to declare war on Belgium or anything. But there's no harm in making it clear that if they lay a finger on one of our guys it will spell bad news for the Belgies. Period.
Old 06-13-2003, 06:31 PM   #7
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
From N.R.O.:

Posted at 10:08 AM

THE BELGIES [Jonah Goldberg]

I'm totally behind Rummy's swat at the Belgians yesterday. But, it seems to me, we could solve this whole Belgian court problem quite easily. The Belgians claim their courts have jurisdiction over our government officials and military officers. Fine. We should simply declare that we do not recognize this law and that any attempt to detain, abduct or arrest an American official -- current or former -- will be seen as an act of piracy and kidnapping and hence tantamount to an act of war. Who cares what laws they pass? If Iran said it has a law that justifies jailing Dick Cheney would we say "Oh, we didn't know that. Can we send him care packages?" No, we'd unload the Arsenal of Democracy on 'em. I don't think we need to declare war on Belgium or anything. But there's no harm in making it clear that if they lay a finger on one of our guys it will spell bad news for the Belgies. Period.
*sigh*
Is it really necessary to post that badly informed drivel in here? Come on Attalus, you're better than that... [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]

Quote:
The Belgian government is very surprised by this outburst. "I do not understand the issue", Foreign Affairs Minister Michel said. He pointed out the Genocide Act had already been changed recently to suit American demands, something the American government had been very pleased by. The new Act indicates that complaints will be referred to the country of the accused, if it has an acceptable justice system.
Old 06-13-2003, 06:49 PM   #8
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

ROFL!

I doubt that you could call Jonah ill-informed. Informed drivel, perhaps. [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2003, 07:39 PM   #9
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
ROFL!

I doubt that you could call Jonah ill-informed. Informed drivel, perhaps. [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
As a Canadian i feel it is my duty to say:

Jonah Goldberg is an idiot.

[ 06-13-2003, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Djinn Raffo ]
Old 06-13-2003, 08:37 PM   #10
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

As an American, I must say: I read him every day.