Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2002, 02:25 PM   #1
keke3368
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just wondering how many women are playing as a male character ? This time around I'm a guy and it's much more interesting. People react much differently and there seems to be more banter in my party. Plus I like the romance options (not just goody two shoes knight).
keke3368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 02:52 PM   #2
Hecate
The Magister

I've always played "male". Probably because I grew up reading so many sword and sorcery tales with male heros such as Hercules, Sinbad, Conan to name a few.
Hecate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 03:15 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I'm male and have played female characters in games before. I've tried doing one in BG2, but romancing Anomen made me want to hurl so badly I just couldn't. And it's not a "guy" thing, either...I just can't imagine my lady tying herself to that dweeb. Urgh! I know there's 3-party mods you can download, and I'm working on one myself (the Pace mod), but still...Oh well. I may end up saving Alexandra (my character) for Pace and use her as a "test" for the mod.

But, no, I see nothing strange about playing a character of the opposite gender.

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 03:32 PM   #4
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I think that gender should in no way inhibit you from playing any char you want.. I have friends, and myself as well, who play opposite-gender chars when they RP. It's an interesting way to take a walk in another's shoes, to be sure.
Possible mild spoiler regarding Ust Natha
Dum de dum
I really like the Solaufein mod. It can be found at www.teambg.com, which is one of my favorite sites for everything BG.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 03:33 PM   #5
Rovena
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am always playing male characters, and my friend, who is a man, is always playind females. I don't know why, actually, I think it is just funny to play the opposite gender.
Rovena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 04:28 PM   #6
Wynne
Dungeon Master

I had a male character once; couldn't identify with him like I can with all my female characters, but I liked him a lot anyway. I think I ended up playing him the way I'd hope to see a guy act in real life, but likely never will. Heh.

I saw NO differences in dialogue for male characters except the normal "he" stuff and actually saw LESS banter as a guy--practically nil. I think that's just superstition. Granted, there are more romances for male characters in BG2 proper.

But either way can be fun. Still, if you want to try a female character romance with a NICE guy (as opposed to Anomen, who is pretty abrasive, especially in the beginning), try Kelsey, a NG male human sorceror. He respects the PC as his leader and even squabbles with Anomen over her. (Really rather fun to watch if it happens.)

http://www.forgottenwars.net/kelsey/
Old 07-13-2002, 11:07 PM   #7
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

Um, Wynne, correct me if I'm wrong but- isn't Kelsey a female?

Also, I am working on a MOD. I got the plot all planned out, now alls I have to do is the technical stuff. There are two apprentices of ******** (name classified, it is a spoiler) who join you, one's name is Ardanthil, (male) the other Zorayna (female). A female char can have a romance with Ardanthil, vice-versa with Zorayna.

I played female and beat the game once, she was a conjurer, and the most powerful char I've played yet. I have played a Kensai, a normal fighter, and a Swashbuckler, and am close to finishing all three of those.

BTW, if you create a character that is a certain gender or alignment that you don't like, throw on either the Helm of Opposite Alignment or the Girdle of Gender. If you have, say, a male char and want to change him to female because (for some reason) you want to romance Anomen or something, throw the belt on him. Then go to 'Statistics' or something, and click 'Customize'. You can then from there change the voice of the char. Also, if you have a male character and want to romance Vicky, but is Lawful Good, throw on the Helm of Oppostie Alignment and Voila! You are exactly the opposite alignment of what you once were. (Lawful Good becomes Chaotic Evil, etc.) I should also note that this helm does not work on True Neutral characters.

[ 07-13-2002, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Willard ]
Old 07-14-2002, 12:25 AM   #8
keke3368
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for all the input. To clarify - I don't think there's anything strange about playing a character whose gender is opposite of one's own. I tend to a bit obsessive about games and like to try to play through as a different character everytime. I'd like to try going through as an evil mage but am having a hard time overcoming my natural goody two shoesness. Too bad Edwin can't be romanced.
Old 07-14-2002, 12:26 AM   #9
keke3368
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for all the input. To clarify - I don't think there's anything strange about playing a character whose gender is opposite of one's own. I tend to a bit obsessive about games and like to try to play through as a different character everytime. I'd like to try going through as an evil mage but am having a hard time overcoming my natural goody two shoesness. Too bad Edwin can't be romanced.
Old 07-14-2002, 01:32 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I enjoy playing an all-girl party. Hell hath known no fury like 6 women scorned. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote