Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2002, 12:11 PM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

You'll be amazed at how good it makes you feel.

Here are some suggestions:

1) Let somebody get in front of you at the checkout line - especially if they have fewer items than you.

2) Do one of your co-workers mundane tasks for them (make some copies, send a fax, etc).

3) Let your friend/brother/sister beat you when playing a game.

4) Stop to help a stranded motorist. (This is one of my favorites).

Something I used to do would be to go into the arcade at the mall and play various games. Several games will give you tickets based on your score that you can redeem for small prizes at the counter. I would play until I had a long string of tickets, then I would give them to the youngest person I could find in the arcade. Their faces would light up brighter than sunshine.

You also never know when you will reap the rewards for your acts. My second year in college, I was washing a load of clothes in the dorm laundry. When the wash cycle was done, I looked for a dryer. We only had two and both of them had clothes in them -- but one of them was finished also.

There was a table in the laundry room and the unwritten rule of thumb was that you could take somebody else's clothes out of the dryer if they weren't there and there clothes were dry. Normally, you would just set them on the table and leave them there, but I decided to fold the clothes for the owner. It took my roommate and I about 10 minutes to sort and fold this guys' clothes and leave them on the table.

I had no idea who owned the clothes and didn't really care to. I had just done to surprise whoever it was.

One year later, another one of our friends moved into our dorm and I got to meet his roommate, who knew my roommate also from some classes they had together. We were up in their room one night and I told them about folding the clothes for some unknown person the year before.

My friends roommate stared wide-eyed at me and then started laughing. I said "What's so funny?"

"You're not going to believe this," he said "but last year, I had left a load of clothes in the dryer downstairs. I got busy and wasn't able to get back down there to take them out. When I finally did go down there, I found all of my clothes neatly folded on the laundry room table."

Needless to say, he and I became pretty quick friends after that.

[ 06-05-2002, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]
Old 06-05-2002, 12:16 PM   #2
Krishach
Drow Warrior

That's a good idea Cerek. I sometimes feel the need to just do something like that. But I'll never do #3, no one shall beat me!
Old 06-05-2002, 12:20 PM   #3
lroyo

Cerek, it is a real shame that the world does not always respond to kindness with more kindness. But that should not stop us from helping others when possible. I don't think there are many who are as selfless as yourself, including me!

Aviendha.

Old 06-05-2002, 12:43 PM   #4
Moiraine
Anubis

Uh, Cerek, I have to tell you that if you do that kind of stuff too often, you'll end up as "Cerek the Pigeon" - actually, that's what my hubbie calls me ... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2002, 12:54 PM   #5
lroyo

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Uh, Cerek, I have to tell you that if you do that kind of stuff too often, you'll end up as "Cerek the Pigeon" - actually, that's what my hubbie calls me ... [img]smile.gif[/img]
...or maybe even "Cerek the pink fluffy pillow!" Barbarian hardly seems fitting!

And that's not what my hubbie calls me!

Old 06-05-2002, 01:11 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

#1 I do on a regular basis. [img]smile.gif[/img] I haven't had much opportunity to do #2, but I'd be willing to.

#3, on the game playing, though...I tend to agree with Krishach to some extent. It would depend on whom I'm playing...if it's someone under 6 years old, yah, I'd try to let them win. Older, though...no dice. Why? Because I'd want them to know if they won, the win would mean something to them...that they won fair and square, not because someone "tossed" the game for them. I know that's the way I felt when I was younger...the games that I truly won without someone "handicapping" for me I felt much better about. I also became a better player because of it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Great suggestions, though!

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 06-05-2002, 01:26 PM   #7
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Aviendha:
quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
...or maybe even "Cerek the pink fluffy pillow!" Barbarian hardly seems fitting!

And that's not what my hubbie calls me!
[/QUOTE] LOL You girls are funny.

Actually, it's amazing how people will fall all over themselves trying to thank me. Especially on the highway. If I slow down to let someone merge in front of me or pull out or whatever, they will almost have a wreck because they're turned around trying to wave at me rather than watching where they're going.

I can honostly say that I've never had anybody just completely ignore or disregard the act itself. I even became friends with a former high-school nemesis because I stopped to help him when his car broke down.

AFA being considered a "pigeon" or "fluffy pillow"...it all depends on your perspective. I'm not "competing" with the other person, so I don't care if they "win".

However, in regards to the "barbaric" title, I have actually submitted a formal request to have my ID changed to just Cerek. Like you said, the "barbaric" tag simply doesn't fit me anymore.

Just try the random kindness and you will be amazed at how friendly other people become. It doesn't have to be a big or grandiose gesture...just some small, unexpected act that takes the other person by surprise.

Trust me - it works.

[ 06-05-2002, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]
Old 06-05-2002, 03:05 PM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
that is because you maybe never met someone who tries to take advantage of a nice guy such as yourself. I myself have done some good things for others too sometimes only to get somewhat betrayed afterwards. I can't help it but i have a strong suspicion towards complete strangers who want to do nice things for me. I'm not judging you or anything, just had some bad expieriences in the past that made me kinda vigilant.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:11 PM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Lovely thread, Cerek! I frequently let people in on the highway or in front of me in the supermarket. It IS a nice feeling and I always wave when someone lets me in on the highway. It does feel good to be good to others. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2002, 06:17 PM   #10
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Lovely thread, Cerek! I frequently let people in on the highway or in front of me in the supermarket. It IS a nice feeling and I always wave when someone lets me in on the highway. It does feel good to be good to others. [img]smile.gif[/img]
But how would you know if the people on the highway are safe? Thats the only reason my mom doesn't let people in our car on the highway; what if they try and steal your car.