Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2003, 07:53 AM   #1
Nubilus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, as you can see, under all my posts there is a small "Location: Croatia".
I was wondering... Have you heard of it (before Vedran came to the forums), do you know it's location, where did you (if you are) heard for her...
And final, and most interesting, question, what do you think of my country?
Please be honest...

[img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img]
But when bad die were cast<br />We were cast down to die<br />A steeple of needles thrust into our eyes<br />So scholars might say we were blinded by pride<br />Like the sin of Our Father...<br /><br />
Old 04-28-2003, 08:56 AM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

Yep I´ve heard of it. I know several people from there and as a matter of fact my mom´s fiance is from Croatia ( if I´m not mistaken I think he is from Sisak as well.) During the war Sweden recieved many refugees from the Balkans. Never been there but what I´ve heard you have good beaches.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:56 AM   #3
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Of course I've heard of Croatia! Nice place by all accounts, when it's not getting involved in the traditional Balkan passtime of fighting with your neighbours [img]smile.gif[/img] Oh, yes, and your football team is usually quite successful (unlike Scotland).

I still think that my favoutire reference to your country came from (I think) the film "Dragnet" where a Yugo was described as "The cutting edge of Serbo-Croat automotive engineering" [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 04-28-2003, 09:00 AM   #4
Melusine
Dracolisk

Of course I know where Croatia is, I've even visited it. [img]smile.gif[/img] Was only for a short while though, but the sea was very beautiful and I had a nice swim there. My father recently visited your country too (only two weeks ago, in fact), and has been there several times before - usually on fishing trips. He's got two friends staying at his place right now that come from the area too. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-28-2003, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 04-28-2003, 09:07 AM   #5
Jan

Sure. It is a country in Asia right (just kidding)??

Old 04-28-2003, 09:38 AM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Sure i've heard of it, i used to have a lot of yugoslavian friends (when the place WAS still Yugoslavia). Then the war broke out and that group got divided, the Croats wouldn't talk to the Serbs anymore and vice versa. sad that it had to happen, both groups were fun people, but i refused to choose sides. I'd like to stay away as far as possible from Balkan politics.

One thing always stuck with me though, people from the Balkan are very heavy drinkers. They drink our beer if it were water. They told me they're used to beer of a much higher alcohol percentage, and our lager is only 5%. They also drank something called slibowitz (sp), that was some serious booze, i'll never forget that stuff.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:53 AM   #7
Epona
Zartan

Of course I've heard of Croatia - I could even point it out on a map!

(Notes how only Europeans have replied to this thread so far).

I've never visited your country alas, but intend to some day.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:55 AM   #8
Jan

"I'd like to stay away as far as possible from Balkan politics."

Yes it is better to do so Johnny.

Have played soccer with a few Croats. Remember one of them took some homemade booze with him once. That was serious stuff. Had to phone in sick the next day [img]graemlins/drinkup.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2003, 10:13 AM   #9
Masklinn

Where I used to live, some years ago, there was a strong Serb community. I had a few friends from it.
I don't remember where they were from exactly, but they showed me holiday pictures from a place that shouldn't be far from Croatia. The landscapes seemed to be very great.
Apart from that, I could locate Croatia on the map, you have a good football (soccer) team and some great players, and I like the red and white chessboard pattern that represents your nation (it's from the flag I think ?) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Else than that, I lack some knowledge about your country. Feel free to share with us what's good about it. Thaz what forums are for...sometimes. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2003, 10:38 AM   #10
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Croatia doesn´t say much to me, but I remember your football team from ´98.