Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2003, 05:01 AM   #1
Melusine
Dracolisk

Or rather, help my sister.
She got connected to the Internet by broadband a month or so ago and she's having some troubles. She got a few people to look at it already but no luck so far. Maybe one of the tech-geniuses here could help us out?

OK here's what's wrong. When my sister tries to click a hyperlink on a website, so one that should open in a new window, she gets the following error: Instead of the new window opening, there are two windows. The topmost one stays "transparent" (that is, the frame around it pops up but the window itself remains see-through) and beneath that one is another window that after a while will show the "about: blank" page. So she cannot use any hyperlinks. Sometimes using the "copy hyperlink" function will help, but not if the site uses Java-script. This is really annoying for her. When she has a new message in her university email account, it opens in a new window - so she can never check her mail there!

Now, I've ALREADY told her to reinstall IE, and she's done that. So that didn't help. Someone also checked her IE settings but couldn't find anything, though it's of course possible he missed something. This guy also said he thought it was a prob with Java.
In any case, she's running IE 6.0 and I think Windows 98. Could anyone provide any clues?

Oh yeah, there's another thing too... My sister cannot reach the site of her university. I already taught her to fill in the IP address in the browser and she uses that now, but finds it a bit troublesome. I don't think it has anything to do with her server BTW - she lives in a student's house and they made a network to share the Internet connection. The other people in the network CAN reach the site no problems. She also cannot get to hotmail.com, but she can get into hotmail.nl. But I already told her that could easily be a problem with Hotmail itself since they are notorious for that kind of thing.

Any help would be much appreciated! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh, PS, any help that's understandable to dummies would be even more appreciated!!

[ 04-07-2003, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 04-07-2003, 05:23 AM   #2
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I remember vaguely I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and found I could download and install the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine which solved the issues. A quick wander around the Microsoft site should turn up this download.

The only other suggestion I can think of is fiddling with the Java options on the advanced settings of IE.

Hope this helps your sister

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 04-07-2003, 05:54 AM   #3
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

I agree with Mouse, and it could possibly be Win 98.. but this is just a possibility
Old 04-07-2003, 06:46 AM   #4
andrewas
Harper

Strange set of errors. A complete re-install of windows would probably fix it. Might be worth running adaware and spybotSD on the system. Its amazing the kind of crap you can pick up online. About:blank is characteristic of a failed popup, which suggests spyware of some form. Installing the latest java virtual machine from microsoft might also help.

A more permanent form of the IP fix is the host fix. Problems with it in windowsXP, but win98 should be fine. Create a file called hosts (with no extension) in the windows folder, and put lines with

so the line for IW would be

24.129.134.18 www.ironworksforum.com

This should allow the URL to be used for the site.

And if all else fails, download Opera or some other third-party browser. Wi the the exception of Netscape, IE is the worst broswer out there.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:34 AM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Thanks very much! I'm emailing her now. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Only one slight prob - I thought I'd give her direct links to the download sites in case she cannot get on there herself, and I don't know exactly what to download from Microsoft. I did a search for downloads with the keywords "java virtual machine" and got 5 results, none of whose descriptions made sense to me Which one do I need?
Thanks again!!
Old 04-07-2003, 07:47 AM   #6
andrewas
Harper

I hate Micro$shafts site. The Java VM download isnt there anymore.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en would seem to be your best bet.

Theres also the Sun java VM which should work. Cant recall the site for it though, google will turn it up. Much easier to find than M$.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:56 AM   #7
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Hey, I have a very similar problem! I used to be able to open a hyperlink by right-clicking and choosing open in new window, or shift-left click, but now all it does is open a window that doesn't load the page.

Haven't done anything, it just happened.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:13 PM   #8
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

*bump*
Could anyone help pls?
Old 04-13-2003, 03:24 AM   #9
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Mel,
Did your sister solve her problem?