Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2003, 04:30 AM   #1
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,77573,00.html

So...Does Yugoslavia no longer excist??

And while we are speaking of the Balkans, is it pronouced Za(h)-Greb or Zag-Reb??
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 02-19-2003, 04:42 AM   #2
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Editing this post for the third time so that it actually makes some sense.

The country formerly known as Yugoslavia (ie. before the states split up) is now made up of Serbia (including Montenegro), Croatia, Macedonia, Slovenia and Bosnia/Herzegovina. Yugoslavia today is the name given to just Serbia and Montenegro together.

That link deals with the issue of whether Serbia and Montenegro should stay together, thus remaining Yugoslavia, or go their separate ways. If they split up, the name Yugoslavia will be lost forever. That's why it seems as if this is the second time that this country will cease to exist.

Hope that's a little better. It's 5:30 and I'm going to bed [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 02-19-2003, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: Arledrian ]
Old 02-19-2003, 04:53 AM   #3
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

But didnt Yugoslavia excist as just one country? It was alot smaller, but I thought it still excisted, I could be wrong..

The doctor from E.R. is croation ..Heh, no I dont personally know any croations. Just wondering.

[ 02-19-2003, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: Iron_Ranger ]
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 02-19-2003, 05:49 AM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
But didnt Yugoslavia excist as just one country? It was alot smaller, but I thought it still excisted, I could be wrong..

The doctor from E.R. is croation ..Heh, no I dont personally know any croations. Just wondering.
It used to be one country. Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Kosovo, Croatia, Slovenia, and Macedonia formed Yugoslavia. If i'm not mistaken it was Tito who united all of them after WW2, and he was also the reason the Sovjets couldn't get a foothold there.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:04 AM   #5
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
It used to be one country. Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Kosovo, Croatia, Slovenia, and Macedonia formed Yugoslavia. If i'm not mistaken it was Tito who united all of them after WW2, and he was also the reason the Sovjets couldn't get a foothold there.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Yeah, but, when Yugoslavia broke up in the 90's I thought it was still a country, just didnt include all six federations.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:03 AM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Check out A's post again. He's edited it.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:27 AM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

ALex, you need to replace "is now" with "was" for your post to make sense. That would mean a fourth edit though right? Or remove the "made up of".

Alex: "The country formerly known as Yugoslavia (ie. before the states split up) is now made up of Serbia (including Montenegro), Croatia, Macedonia, Slovenia and Bosnia/Herzegovina."

Edited: The union formerly known as Yugoslavia is now the separate states of:
1.Yugoslavia - Serbia/Montenegro,
2.Croatia
3.Macedonia (Skopje)*
4.Slovenia
5.Bosnia/Herzegovina.

*Not to be confused with Macedonia in Greece. Yugo-Macedonians are not related to the ancient Greek Macedonians at all. For this reason, Greece is demanding that Macedonia change it's name. Some call Macedonia "Skopje" - (the capital city) or "Fyrom". (Former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia)

Surely the most overcomplicated piece of land on the globe at the moment...

http://www.hughwilson.com