Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2002, 05:23 AM   #1
Grungi
Banned User

im trying to copy a file to make a stats server for my quake3 server and its not happening at all, i know how to copy, i know how to move, all i need is for it to go from one directory to another on the same virtual server, but theres the problem, its a virtual server and even with full path its saying ...

cp erz_freeze.log home/sites/site1/users/quakeserver/aestats/aestats-v5.39/logs/freeze.log
cp: cannot create regular file `home/sites/site1/users/quakeserver/aestats/aestats-v5.39/logs/freeze.log': No such file or directory

i know its something stupidly simple im doing wrong but i cant get round it and its just frustrating me trying, im on a virtual site called quakeserver off the main, and the path above is the full path from root, i have tried starting at quakeserver too but the same message, it doesnt matter what the file i copy to is called, anything will do, this must be a quick fix so can someone who knows more than me pls help [img]tongue.gif[/img] i just want stats for q3 dont need all this admin sht.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:28 AM   #2
Borvik
Drow Warrior

I'm not very sure about it, but isn't there a problem copying files between different partitions? Did you try it with tar?
Old 12-17-2002, 05:32 AM   #3
Grungi
Banned User

its on the same partition, its a single partition raq cobalt box, just i made a virtual server to host some programs on, not just quake3, mainly cos its my companys server and im running quake cos im in charge of it and i feel like running a games server [img]tongue.gif[/img] just im playing so well on the thing i want stats hehe [img]smile.gif[/img] its been running about a year in q3 freezetag and is one of the most recognised (european) servers and regularly has the best world freeze players on it, so i want stats to see how i compare overall. But thats the why, now i need the wherefor, it should be a very very simple copy command and nothing else, and tar is a compressed file? why would that help?
Old 12-17-2002, 05:36 AM   #4
Moiraine
Anubis

Maybe the right command is either :

cp erz_freeze.log /home/sites/site1/users/quakeserver/aestats/aestats-v5.39/logs/freeze.log

(The 'home' directory being at the root of the file tree)

or :

cp erz_freeze.log $(HOME)/sites/site1/users/quakeserver/aestats/aestats-v5.39/logs/freeze.log

('HOME' being a system variable)

?
Old 12-17-2002, 05:38 AM   #5
Borvik
Drow Warrior

Tar is a unix command that creates tar-files - it has so many options I'm wondering what you CAN'T do with it. Transferring files with tar normally works (it's quiet long ago that I worked with unix...)
Old 12-17-2002, 05:42 AM   #6
Grungi
Banned User

oooops dont tell me i missed a backslash out goddamnit argrhghrghrghhrh i think i did.

tar can probably zip then unzip to directory of your choice im sure, same way as i could ftp file down and then back up, but its 18mb file so im using simplest command for maximum speed, if im to have stats runninng i need to refresh it monthly so unless i can somehow automate the procedure... (anyone capable of making a script that can do the following:

time at monthly intervals
at that time move into directory and copy log file out into relevant directory
delete old log file from log directory
move to copied file and perform aestats operation on it (simple command line operation)
then compile aestats program (simple command line operation again)

is that possible with the right script ? anyone capable of it would have my eternal gratitude as im a lazy bastid and anything automated helps me alot [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2002, 05:44 AM   #7
Grungi
Banned User

i missed a backslash [img]smile.gif[/img] i been punching my machine for two days (though not constantly) whilst i tried to figure out what i was doing wrong, kept coming back to it for 5 mins then giving up again, stupid backslash ARGRHRGHRGHRHGRGRGRHG

still now i can go see what my stats are like, woohoo, if i get it working i may share them with you (like you'd care [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Old 12-17-2002, 05:52 AM   #8
andrewas
Harper

Load up KDE or some other GUI and drag-and-drop - there are occasions when text command prompts are more trouble than there worth.

Other than that, I believe you did miss out the root '/' from your command.

And tar does *not* compress, which is why you never see .tars up for download (not from competent sites anyway), always tar.gz or tar.bz, with the gzip and bzip programs providing the compression.

On the scripting, create a script (just a text file full of commands IIRC) and then use the 'at' command to schedule it. Im possibly building a linux IM server later today so I can pull the syntax for *NIX at, windows at is probably too different. A decent textbook on UNIX should cover it anyway.

And shoudnt compiling the aestats progam be a one-time thing? Unless you modifying the source every month, in which case you should be compiling by hand to check for errors, and in any case doing it before the program runs - or am I missing something?
Old 12-17-2002, 06:18 AM   #9
Grungi
Banned User

okay skipping few yet more problems im not to the compilation stage but getting this message

Step 6: Generating the HTML Pages...
Can't >>open<< write your HTML file...
<./stats/AEstats.html>

i chmod777 to the aestats file and its pointing to the right directory so why isnt it working arghrghr

and as for why i have to do it monthly, q3 log files get big, leave it for 6months and your looking at 300mb then the server will crash cos it runs out of allocated space and im not allocating more to something on my work server [img]tongue.gif[/img] so i move the file every month (dont need to delete the old cos ill use mv not cp) stat it then overwrite every month that way the files wont go over about 30-40mb or so which is feasible. Plus its a game thing to do it monthly or maybe every two months to keep the stats fresh.

and yeah i wanted a GUI for it cos it makes my life sooooo much easier but i didnt know where to look for a good one, think i heard of kde though, is it with a black and green logo? still its best to learn the root commands that way you'll never have trouble in the future [img]smile.gif[/img] (like im having now [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Old 12-17-2002, 06:43 AM   #10
andrewas
Harper

What are you using to generate the .html files? You dont have them open in something else do you? Permissions on the directory might be screwing things up. Or the program might be expecting the file to not exist/ already exist.