Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2002, 11:49 PM   #1
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
, 8 July, 2002, 12:31 GMT 13:31 UK
Iran court slaps ban on dancer

By Jim Muir
In Tehran

An Iranian dancer who has been living in Los Angeles has been given a 10-year suspended prison sentence in Iran on charges of corrupting the nation's youth.

Mr Khordadian's performances were beamed into Iran on TV. Picture: Khordadian.com

Mohammed Khordadian was visiting relatives in Iran when he was arrested.

He left Iran 22 years ago and had been making a living giving lessons in Iranian traditional dance and performing for the large Iranian community in California.

But some of his performances were beamed into Iran by TV stations run by Iranian exiles and his videos also found their way onto the domestic Iranian market.

This made him a popular figure among young Iranians, especially the girls.

After learning that his mother had died, Mr Khordadian returned to Iran and spent a couple of months visiting relatives and friends.

But he was arrested at the airport when he tried to leave.

After several months in jail he has finally been released, following sentence by a Tehran court.

It found him guilty of enticing and inciting the nation's youth to corruption.

In addition to the suspended jail sentence, he was banned from leaving the country for 10 years, banned from attending weddings for three years, except for those of close relations, and banned from giving dance lessons ever again.

Mr Khordadian's lawyer argued unsuccessfully that his client had done nothing wrong and that the alleged offences had in any case been committed abroad.

As for the 10 years' country arrest, he said that living in Iran should be regarded as an honour not a punishment.

Although many Iranians dance at private parties, especially weddings, the ruling clerical establishment frowns on such behaviour, especially when it involves the mingling of the sexes.

For unmarried people, even to appear in public together is a punishable offence, though it is only sporadically enforced.

But many young people in Tehran have been alarmed by the recent appearance on the streets of a tough new police unit, equipped with smart black four-wheeled drive vehicles.
Way to go selective enforcement!!! What a great way to build confidence in your government with the rest of the world. Also look out Mtv!! If you send your video stars over there they will be locked up. Oh , wait .....lets get Briteny a plane ticket!!
Old 07-15-2002, 11:57 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
That's not all, two footballplayers of their national team visited a brothel, they found out and the players will get whipped, a 170 times.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:11 AM   #3
Lifetime
Red Dragon

The ridiculousness of the Muslim faith..
I'm all for peace and love but the stifling of entertainment??
Old 07-16-2002, 05:19 AM   #4
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

I find some of their beliefs strange as well but to call their faith ridiculous isn't on dude.

I don't want this to turn into a religous thread 'cause we've got a break from those atm but if you could edit your post before someone starts a discussion, I think it would be for the best [img]smile.gif[/img]