Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2002, 09:37 PM   #1
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Large fliers face higher fares

By Barbara De Lollis, USA TODAY

With planes filling up this summer, Southwest Airlines says it will begin enforcing a 22-year-old policy to charge larger passengers extra if they require two seats.

Starting Wednesday, a passenger unable to fit in one seat would pay $160 one way for a Houston-Dallas ticket bought that day, instead of $91, says Southwest spokeswoman Christine Turneabe-Connelly.

Southwest's decision could increase its revenue at a time when it is one of the few profitable carriers. It filled about 70% of its seats — which have 18 3/4 inches between armrests — in May.

Its move is drawing heated reaction from advocates for large people, who say Southwest is discriminating. "If a person takes up more than one seat, that's not the problem of the person, that's the problem of the seat," says Miriam Berg, president of the Council on Size & Weight Discrimination.

Southwest says it's not biased against large people. Nor is it the only airline that charges larger travelers for two seats.

Like other airlines, Southwest has let ticket agents decide whether to charge for the extra seat if the flight wasn't full.

Agents now will be told to charge for the extra seat even if the flight isn't full. Passengers could apply for a refund after the flight if it still had empty seats.

Southwest is hoping that large people needing two seats will voluntarily purchase two seats before they check in at the airport. A Southwest agent could make a passenger buy two seats if they need a seatbelt extension and to lift the armrests. Those fliers will not get double frequent-flier credits, the airline says.

Southwest says it began reviewing its policy two years ago after larger passengers said they were charged for extra seats inconsistently.

"Starting on the 26th, we're not allowing our customer service agents to turn a blind eye," Turneabe-Connelly says.

Southwest flier Jerome Bannister of Nashville likes the decision.

"If you have someone in the 250-(pound)-plus range, they can start making it uncomfortable" for other fliers, he says.

The change will take effect the same day that Southwest begins its switch from numbered plastic boarding cards to electronically generated paper boarding passes that show whether a passenger has bought a second seat, she says
Southwest is now my new favorite airline!! I dont have anything against fat people , BUT if your fat behind takes up 2 seats then you should pay for them both. I have been on more than a few planes in my time and if you put up an armrest and sit in 2 seats you have Quite a bit of room, almost like being in first class.There is a quote in the article about if people need 2 seats that it isnt their fault , but the fault of the seat. All I can say is that people thinking like that is why America has one of the largest populations of chubby butter sweaters on earth. Maybe now they will walk instead of fly and lose a few inches.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:39 PM   #2
Sorcerer Alex

I'm 6'4'' so I often ask for a seat which offers more legroom. Think I'll get charged extra? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2002, 10:02 PM   #3
flibulzbuth
Drow Warrior

ROFL!!! i never thought about it.
Woudln't it be cheaper to just buy one business class ticket? Anyway, i agree the airlines should have somewhat larger seats. Man, 6-7 hours jam-packed between two senile old persons is a pain. Doubly so if they happen to be fat!
Old 06-20-2002, 10:10 PM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Do you know the weights of everyone on this forum? Do you think your thread title may be a wee bit offensive to many people? Uh, the answer to that question would be YES.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 06-20-2002, 10:12 PM   #5
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Do you know the weights of everyone on this forum? Do you think your thread title may be a wee bit offensive to many people? Uh, the answer to that question would be YES. Over 8,000 members here on IWs, I'm sure of all shapes, gender and sizes.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 06-20-2002, 10:21 PM   #6
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

O.o i'm a large person, but not THAT large, i'm sorry but, take this from a fat guy, if anyone is EVER SO LARGE that they take up TWO SEATS on an airplane, they need to call up Jenny Craig or somebody, MY GOD 2 SEATS that's like... SO WRONG! I mean, I don't even have to adjust the seat to drive a car, much less get a "special" seat belt to fly O_o and yet i've been labeled as "tubby" my whole life, I swear, if there are really people like that on earth... I don't know whether to feel sorry for them or feel a bit of hatred toward someone SO LAZY they can't even fit their own behind into a coach seat... 0.o my god! How would a person like that live an ordinary life? Be able to WALK, or even use a lavatory properly O_o that's just SCARRY... people like that shouldn't be FLYING they should JOG to where they need to go!
Old 06-20-2002, 10:24 PM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Very rude header, The Hunter of Jahanna.

While sharing a news article, you could have presented it with a less rude header. closing this NOW.

[ 06-20-2002, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]