Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2001, 01:56 PM   #1
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

This is a point that has been at the back of my mind for a while now so I thought I might try and see what you guys think about it. Just recently I have been doing a lot of reading about Cuba and some interesting facts have emerged.

At present Cuba has a claim at the World Court for 3800 people killed due to terrorism and 2400 permenantly disabled by it. The organisation committing the acts is called CANF. They are working to destroy the government in Cuba, which may or may not be to your liking. That is not my point, whether or not you like Castro has nothing to do with this argument really. I personally don't like the idea of any organisatin trying to destabilise governments, even less when their methods for doing so include (for example) blowing up passenger aircraft. IMO there is no excuse for killing innocents to bring down a government. But the classic point about is that it has been going on since the Bay of Pigs and Castro seems no closer to falling. Any argument that the ends justify the means is a little hampered by the lack of any ends to speak of. CANF's campaign has, for better or worse, failed miserably. So why do they keep doing it? Anyway, here is the really interesting thing about all of this:

CANF are based in Miami to the full knowldedge of the US government.

When Cuba went to the UN after the aircraft was destroyed in 1976 the US ambassador said "Cuba is wasting our time again" and walked out of the meeting.

CANF are funded by Bacardi who openly admit the fact. They also petitioned US govt to allow them to use the trademark of a Cuban company to drive it out of the market.

As I said; this is not America bashing and it does not depend on the level of support you give to Cuba. This is an issue of terrorism where the government concerned does nothing - what is the difference between CANF and Al-Queda apart from scale? And considering we have had posts all round this forum about human life being unquantifiable I think even the point of scale might be a bit cold. When I talked t an American at my University about it he said that the US wouldn't go after CANF as "They aren't killing Americans." (I am not kidding here, he actually said that). I know he might not represent American feeling in general but it suprised me nonethless.

My general feeling is that CANF gets away with killing people because they are only Cubans. In the war on terrorism will they be a target at any point? Will the IRA and the UVF? Also if we are talking about terrorism the Northern Alliance should be pretty high up the list. The general the Taliban assasinated the other day - before his death he was most famous for blowing up a junior school and killing 28 children. Why the double standard on stuff like this?

Not meant as flamebait, just thought I should toss it out there and see what response I get.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 02:33 PM   #2
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
This is a point that has been at the back of my mind for a while now so I thought I might try and see what you guys think about it. Just recently I have been doing a lot of reading about Cuba and some interesting facts have emerged.

At present Cuba has a claim at the World Court for 3800 people killed due to terrorism and 2400 permenantly disabled by it. The organisation committing the acts is called CANF. They are working to destroy the government in Cuba, which may or may not be to your liking. That is not my point, whether or not you like Castro has nothing to do with this argument really. I personally don't like the idea of any organisatin trying to destabilise governments, even less when their methods for doing so include (for example) blowing up passenger aircraft. IMO there is no excuse for killing innocents to bring down a government. But the classic point about is that it has been going on since the Bay of Pigs and Castro seems no closer to falling. Any argument that the ends justify the means is a little hampered by the lack of any ends to speak of. CANF's campaign has, for better or worse, failed miserably. So why do they keep doing it? Anyway, here is the really interesting thing about all of this:

CANF are based in Miami to the full knowldedge of the US government.

When Cuba went to the UN after the aircraft was destroyed in 1976 the US ambassador said "Cuba is wasting our time again" and walked out of the meeting.

CANF are funded by Bacardi who openly admit the fact. They also petitioned US govt to allow them to use the trademark of a Cuban company to drive it out of the market.

As I said; this is not America bashing and it does not depend on the level of support you give to Cuba. This is an issue of terrorism where the government concerned does nothing - what is the difference between CANF and Al-Queda apart from scale? And considering we have had posts all round this forum about human life being unquantifiable I think even the point of scale might be a bit cold. When I talked t an American at my University about it he said that the US wouldn't go after CANF as "They aren't killing Americans." (I am not kidding here, he actually said that). I know he might not represent American feeling in general but it suprised me nonethless.

My general feeling is that CANF gets away with killing people because they are only Cubans. In the war on terrorism will they be a target at any point? Will the IRA and the UVF? Also if we are talking about terrorism the Northern Alliance should be pretty high up the list. The general the Taliban assasinated the other day - before his death he was most famous for blowing up a junior school and killing 28 children. Why the double standard on stuff like this?

Not meant as flamebait, just thought I should toss it out there and see what response I get.

CANF - I never heard any of this before. Do we know anything much about CANF? If this is true, it's incredible! Got any good links?
Old 11-11-2001, 05:20 PM   #3
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

www.boycottbacardi.com

This is a site trying to get people to boycott bacardi funnily enough. Hmmm, don't have much more on the net I am afraid and that one is pretty pro Cuban. My whole point is that whether or not you are pro Cuba it doesn't mean you can kill people. Most of my reading has been in my University library, newly designed by Norman Foster I might add. The man is a fool - there are only two lifts and the stairs are so long you can do a days exercise just getting from one floor to the other. Also it costs a ridiculous amount of money to change lightbulbs as they have to hire in a crane. A fool I tell you...

Ah well, enough of this rant.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 11-11-2001, 05:25 PM   #4
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:
www.boycottbacardi.com

This is a site trying to get people to boycott bacardi funnily enough. Hmmm, don't have much more on the net I am afraid and that one is pretty pro Cuban. My whole point is that whether or not you are pro Cuba it doesn't mean you can kill people. Most of my reading has been in my University library, newly designed by Norman Foster I might add. The man is a fool - there are only two lifts and the stairs are so long you can do a days exercise just getting from one floor to the other. Also it costs a ridiculous amount of money to change lightbulbs as they have to hire in a crane. A fool I tell you...

Ah well, enough of this rant.

Thanks Barry. NF don't live in the real world. Look at the Tate Modern bridge (this bridge was made for walking... NF... No it wasn't.... I designed it to look good! Not to be trampled all over by a lot of dirty booted proles.... )

What uni are you at?
Old 11-11-2001, 05:28 PM   #5
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:

Thanks Barry. NF don't live in the real world. Look at the Tate Modern bridge (this bridge was made for walking... NF... No it wasn't.... I designed it to look good! Not to be trampled all over by a lot of dirty booted proles.... )

What uni are you at?

Hey, I'm a drow warrior!! When did that happen...
Old 11-11-2001, 06:55 PM   #6
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

You're a dragon now! I am at London School of Economics. Much fun in general but I am starting to get a bit annoyed by the NF library. The question was posed at our recent Union General Meeting of "How long are Norman Foster's legs?". This week we got an answer from the chair to the effect that he had phoned Foster and Partners and talked to NF's secretary. She apparently said "I don't know, but he looks quite tall". I think the minutes of the debate that followed that are available on the LSE site. The union here is really, really, odd...
Old 11-11-2001, 07:02 PM   #7
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:
You're a dragon now! I am at London School of Economics. Much fun in general but I am starting to get a bit annoyed by the NF library. The question was posed at our recent Union General Meeting of "How long are Norman Foster's legs?". This week we got an answer from the chair to the effect that he had phoned Foster and Partners and talked to NF's secretary. She apparently said "I don't know, but he looks quite tall". I think the minutes of the debate that followed that are available on the LSE site. The union here is really, really, odd...

I was a dragon before. :Sigh:. Bored with being a dragon. Want to be something else!! (This happens every time I have an avatar for more than a week or two.... low boredom threshold...)

Oh, you're at the LSE? You don't seem at all of the usual ilk - sorry, was that a huge sweeping generalisation or what..... Meant to be a compliment, hope you take it as such.

What are you studying, specifically?
Old 11-11-2001, 07:24 PM   #8
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Government and Economics Bsc. Much fun. Just finished an essay on Plato - AAAAAArgh!!! The man is a fool!!! More than NF!!!! I am using too many exclamation marks!!!!!!!

And next week I start on Cicero, great, just great. I get more intelligent discussion on here than I do in my classes. The problem is not that I disagree with people at my classes (I disagree with people here a fair bit don't I Ronn?) but that they don't think about what they are saying. It gets too easy after a while... Yawn...

I like the challenge that IW offers to one such as myself.
Was that more like an LSE student for you Silver Cheetah? Just checking.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:10 PM   #9
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:
Government and Economics Bsc. Much fun. Just finished an essay on Plato - AAAAAArgh!!! The man is a fool!!! More than NF!!!! I am using too many exclamation marks!!!!!!!

And next week I start on Cicero, great, just great. I get more intelligent discussion on here than I do in my classes. The problem is not that I disagree with people at my classes (I disagree with people here a fair bit don't I Ronn?) but that they don't think about what they are saying. It gets too easy after a while... Yawn...

I like the challenge that IW offers to one such as myself.
Was that more like an LSE student for you Silver Cheetah? Just checking.

Doing just great there Bazza........ :heheheheheh: So when I want to trash economic theory, I can mail you for wads of info can I? Great stuff! Hey, how are you on GATS?
Old 11-11-2001, 11:36 PM   #10
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

And so any terroists that fight for a "better" government are "freedom fighters" instead?
The irony of it.
AzureWolf is offline   Reply With Quote