Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

This is quite uncharacteristically undiplomatic by Mr. Blair, but quite interesting given the current Schaivo affair - the Archbishop of Canterbury recently weighed into the abortion issue over here for example, trying to make it an election debate.

Quote:
Blair shuns US religion politics
Religion should not play the same role in British politics that it does in America, Tony Blair has said.

Mr Blair said he did not want a system where politicians went out "beating their chests about our faith".
It did appear that way, to me anyway, during the latest election by the way - Bush would talk about him being a born-again Christian and how important prayer is to him. Kerry would then come in with "aaah, but I used to be a choirboy" which I think he actually managed to say three times in the course of a single answer in one of the debates.

Quote:
The prime minister was speaking to a Christian group already addressed by the Tory and Lib Dem leaders.

He said he wanted churches and faith groups to play a bigger role in national life and paid tribute to their work in social action.

'Don't do God'

Mr Blair was speaking to church leaders, other faith representatives and community activists in London about his vision for the role of faith in the UK.

The lecture was organised by the Faithworks Movement, which hopes faith will be a hotly contested election issue.

In the questions session after his speech, Mr Blair was asked about reports that Alastair Campbell had once told an interviewer who asked about Mr Blair's faith: "I'm sorry, we don't do God."

quote:
I would like to see you [faith groups] play a bigger, not a lesser role in the future
Tony Blair
Mr Blair said faith was very important on a personal level but could quickly become misinterpreted.

"I don't want to end up with an American-style type of politics with us all going out there and beating our chests about our faith," he said.

People were defined by their faith but it was "a bit unhealthy" if it became used in the political process.

Young mothers

The questions session also saw Mr Blair talk about some women in inner cities starting families "very, very young"

"We are piling up problems for the future when that happens," he argued.

"It is important that they get role models at school and in the community, where they see it is not a great life, trying to bring up a single parent family aged 17 or 18 - actually it is pretty miserable."

Tuesday's lecture comes after both the Anglican archbishop of Canterbury and the Roman Catholic archbishop of Westminster suggested abortion should be an election issue.

Mutual help

In his speech, Mr Blair said a vision of community, with people helping each other, was central to his politics.

He said churches made a "visible, tangible difference" for the better in society.

"I would like to see you play a bigger, not a lesser, role in the future," he said.

"So many of your organisations have the capacity not only to help, but to inspire and to enthuse, by being unashamed about your beliefs, your commitment and your example."

Poverty work

Mr Blair said he wanted to "recast" the 1945 welfare state for the modern age.

But governments could only do things in partnership with others, including faith groups who were helping the "millions" of young people who failed to fulfil their potential.

He also praised churches for being at the forefront of attempts to fight world poverty and injustice.

In his speech to Faithworks, Mr Howard said faith groups were part of a "forgotten majority" and needed a fairer deal for their social work.

Lib Dem leader Charles Kennedy told the group that fears of fundamentalism should not prevent local councils from trusting churches.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...cs/4369481.stm

Published: 2005/03/22 15:09:40 GMT

© BBC MMV[/QUOTE]It's quite interesting how different our politics are about some things, despite so many shared principles and institutions.

Would anyone agree with him that its "a bit unhealthy" when religion becomes involved in politics?

[ 03-22-2005, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:01 AM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

It is very unhealthy, because it is too difficult for many politicians to suspend their religious beliefs in order to do what might actually be best for the country. Morality and legality don't always agree, and politicians need to focus on legality--you cannot legislate morality.

Any politician who talks a lot about being religious for a sound byte is simply trying to churn some votes in the next election.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:15 AM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, I believe in the separation of church and state. It's a modern trend, and I'm a modern kinda guy.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Well, then...there is this new-fangled technology called "the Internet". You should look into that at some point. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:25 AM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Cool. I heard Al Gore talk about it. In fact, sounded to me like the President mentioned he had more than one Internet. Where do I find it, and how much does an Internet cost?
Old 03-23-2005, 11:30 AM   #6
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Actually, President Bush is quite inquisitive when he comes to the internet - he muses over its future sometimes, like when he asked
Quote:
"When will the highways of the internet become more few?"
Who knows George, who knows...
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:53 PM   #7
wellard
Dracolisk

LOL @ the al gore 'founder of the internet' jibe

There is still big resistance to that sort of in your face "my faith is bigger than your faith" politicking down here in Australia too thankfully. Though it is growing and the behind the scene influence of like minded Christians across all political parties in the 'Lyons Forum' is seen as somewhat sinister by some people including me.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:16 AM   #8
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Well, I believe in the separation of church and state. It's a modern trend, and I'm a modern kinda guy.
I too support secularity, and the separation of powers, if we're talking about unwanted influnce in government/law
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote