Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 01:33 PM   #1
dplax
Jack Burton

Source: CNN

VALLEY STREAM, New York (AP) -- A 3-year-old boy choked to death while eating popcorn at a movie theater.

Deontea Riley, of New York City, was at the Sunrise Multiplex Cinemas in Long Island's Valley Stream watching "Alien vs. Predator" with his parents and older brother when he began to choke shortly before 7 p.m. Sunday, Nassau County police said.

The family all had been eating from a small tub of popcorn when Elaine McIntosh, the boy's mother, saw that her youngest son was choking.

His parents rushed him out of the theater where they performed the Heimlich maneuver without success.

"I was trying everything," his father, Eddie Riley, told the Daily News in Tuesday's editions. "I was trying to put my finger down his throat. I didn't feel anything."

Police arrived shortly afterward and tried to clear the boy's mouth and perform CPR, but he was pronounced dead at Mercy Medical Center in Rockville Centre.

His body was taken to the Nassau University Medical Center morgue pending a medical examiner's report.

I just wander what a three year old boy was doing watching that film? It could have been fright combined with the popcorn.
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 02:11 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

The film was PG-13.

Poor kid. Of course, in two months we'll be back in this forum cursing his parents -- because you just *know* there'll be a lawsuit.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:33 PM   #3
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I agree it is a terrible tragedy. I also agree that a 3-yr old has NO BUSINESS seeing Aliens vs Predator (I'm leaving in less than an hour to go see it myself).

My two oldest boys are 7 and 6 now. The only "real" movie (translated as "non-animated") I've taken them to see was Spiderman 2 - and I had deep reservations about even doing that.

It went OK. The 7 yr old watched the movie, but got bored towards the end. The 6 yr old (who was only 5 at the time) fell sound asleep long before the halfway point and slept in my lap for the rest of the movie.

I personally feel 3 yrs old is a bit young to be going to the theater - period. They just don't have the attention span needed at that age. All of my boys love videos, but I've found very few that they would actually sit and watch all the way through - even at their current ages. Before now, it was a no-brainer - they never sat and watched any movie for more than 20-30 minutes at a time, and those were the movies they considered "engrossing".
Old 08-18-2004, 05:32 AM   #4
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Poor kid. Poor Parents. I especially regret the desperation, panic and helplessness that the father must have felt while trying to save his son....
Old 08-18-2004, 10:12 AM   #5
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I feel sorry for the whole familiy. Not a good way to go.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote