Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2002, 11:28 PM   #1
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

well its pretty much given now. too much overclocking,
to high voltages have crisped the cpu. poor little tbird 1200C
wont run overclocked at all now
am testing stock speeds, but i suspect even that will fail under load
heh

time for a new one i think... *looks around for innocent CPU's to attack*
Old 05-23-2002, 11:55 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
are you one of them "tweakers unite" type of guys ? Some of my friends also have a habit of doing that and it always ends the same way. First there's the blue screens, then come the crashes and finally you fry your comp, i've seen it happen before. Don't do that dude, it wil only cost you money in the end.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:01 AM   #3
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

hehehe
its an addiction.
but i got a good year and a quarter out of it, running it way beyond what it should have done [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2002, 12:06 AM   #4
lroyo

Yeah, well it's only money! About $100 per extra frame per second. (slight exageration, but you get the idea). Very worthwhile!

Old 05-24-2002, 05:28 AM   #5
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Heres one for ya. A friend of mine spent $900 on a 900 celeron last year (Austalian Dollars). He started having problems with it so I got into the BIOS and started looking at it. Turns out that he bought a 233 overclocked to 500mhz. I tried to get it going a little better than it was... ZAPPPPPPPPPP!!!. Adios 233, 500, 900 [img]smile.gif[/img] He wasn't upset as he already had plans to go break the guys legs. When he showed up at he guys shop and started manhandling him the guy gave him a 1.2 ghz P4 and MSI mainboard. MSI??? MCI??? you make the call. anyway hes got a much better computer now so I actually did him a favour by frying his old one [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2002, 10:10 AM   #6
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

You have to watch it for the scammers. They're getting much more common these days. I got ripped off once or twice myself. I actually considered visiting one Ebay S#!t who scammed me out of $200 U.S. I found his home addy. I decided a seven hour drive wasn't worth it. He was bankrupt anyway.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:51 AM   #7
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
You have to watch it for the scammers. They're getting much more common these days. I got ripped off once or twice myself. I actually considered visiting one Ebay S#!t who scammed me out of $200 U.S. I found his home addy. I decided a seven hour drive wasn't worth it. He was bankrupt anyway.
Too true. Thats why I'd never buy anything online. Put your credit card number on the net and anyone in the world can have it in less than a minute. Or sooner.

It would have been cool to go to that guys house and knock on the door, hand him a roll of toilet paper, and say "you just one a roll of toilet paper. Now gimme my $200 or Im gonna beat the crap out of you!!!!!" [img]smile.gif[/img] hehehehehehehe

Did you report him for wire/computer/ credit card fraud??? Never mind the fact that hes bankrupt.... put his sorry butt in prison. Id have to think theyd give him at least 5 years for that. Particularly if hes done it to thousands of other people.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:10 PM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthdog:
Heres one for ya. A friend of mine spent $900 on a 900 celeron last year (Austalian Dollars). He started having problems with it so I got into the BIOS and started looking at it. Turns out that he bought a 233 overclocked to 500mhz. I tried to get it going a little better than it was... ZAPPPPPPPPPP!!!. Adios 233, 500, 900 [img]smile.gif[/img] He wasn't upset as he already had plans to go break the guys legs. When he showed up at he guys shop and started manhandling him the guy gave him a 1.2 ghz P4 and MSI mainboard. MSI??? MCI??? you make the call. anyway hes got a much better computer now so I actually did him a favour by frying his old one [img]smile.gif[/img]
sometimes violence leads to good things. lol
Old 05-24-2002, 01:49 PM   #9
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Try not to raise the voltage so much when you get your next chip. When you raise the voltage electromigration will damage your processor much faster than it would ordinarily. Excessive heat will also accelerate electromigration.

I know you're already on an AMD board, but the new Northwood P4's overclock beautifully.

If you're determined to stick with AMD, I'd hold off for a bit an pick up one of the new Athlon Thoroughbred's when they are more widely available. They are on the .13 micron fab process and will run much cooler than their palomino brethren.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 05-24-2002, 02:00 PM   #10
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

yeee nothin' like busting up some comps witha baseball bat and making something out of them...