Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2002, 07:31 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

GOONER

I thought I would share some of the pain, stress and grief in my life with you good people of Ironworks. I hope you will indulge me!

You see it's not easy being an Arsenal supporter at the moment. We need two wins from the last three games to win the Premier League. Every game we play is like a Cup Final. We know we have to win and the tension is unbearable. I sit in my seat at the stadium every match, my heart is pounding, my hands are sweating and my stomache is turning somersaults. I'm a heart attack waiting to happen. It's been the same for the last three months, we have won the last ten games but as we get ever closer to the title the situation is getting worse and worse.

On Sunday we beat Ipswich but didn't score until 20 minutes from the end. Last night we beat West Ham and didn't score until 13 minutes from the end. Next Monday we go to Bolton - what I'd give for a couple of early goals so that I could finally enjoy a game.

I've tried everything I can to relieve the stress. My CD of dolphin noises is worn out, the dogs have got bald patches on their backs where I've been stroking them and I'm hoarse after a marathon session of Himalayan Voice Yoga. Even several evenings playing Zen Table Tennis hasn't helped.

What is a man to do? Why didn't I support a team like Spurs? Their fans never have to go through this!

Ten in a row - and three to go! It's tough but the release of tension when they score is ecstasy!

To the tune of 'You're much to good to be true'

We love you Freddie because you've got red hair!
We love you Freddie because you're everywhere!
We love you Freddie - you're Arsenal through and through!

This song is about Arsenal midfielder Freddie Ljunberg who has a red streak in his hair. I have rather foolishly said I would have a red streak put in my hair if we win the league and Cup double.

We shall not, we shall not be moved
We shall not, we shall not be moved,
Just like a team that's gonna win the Football League
We shall not be moved!

Come on you F?@"%$# rip roaring goal scoring red machine!

Calm down Donut you are getting over excited!

I can't help that. We're four games from greatness! How else can I make these people understand what this means - do you realise that some of them don't even like sports, and that some of them are even Americans, one of them is even Memnoch, how can they possibly understand if I don't rant like this! They still think football is played with a rugby ball.

Really - Americans you say. In that case:

To the tune of 'Marching through Georgia'

Sing about the Gunners,
We're the lads in Red and White,
We can play the football game,
And we can play it right.
While there's still a minute left,
We'll not give up the fight,
When we go marching on Wembley.

March on, march on!
The boys from Highbury.
March on, march on!
March on to victory.

The Gunners colours on the Cup,
Is what we're gonna see,
When we go marching on Wembley!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 04-25-2002, 07:34 AM   #2
Lord Shield

Maybe you need a calmer hobby

*runs for the hills*

Old 04-25-2002, 08:23 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'd just like to say that the Gooners were LUCKY that Kanoute's goal was disallowed, it was a goal for all money. It passed the goal-line, how could that not be a goal? Though the Gooners would still have won.

Ah well, if the Reds can't make it, better the Gooners than Man U. Lesser of two evils. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2002, 08:25 AM   #4
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Oh to be a GOONER - wait a minute - I am one . Great post there - Mr Ljundberg's my hero. Like you, I wish for a few early goals to take the pressure off. The dream of an Arsenal double, and Manx U and Liverpool having nothing to show - oooooooh it is soooo close [img]graemlins/dance.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2002, 09:03 AM   #5
Daniel_M
Elminster

LOL, ive just gotta say something....

Forever and ever we'll follow our team,
( might be : Where ever they go we`ll follow our team)
For we are the Chelsea and we are supreme,
We'll never be mastered by no northern [Censored],
And we'll keep the blue flag flying high,

Flying high, up in the sky,
We'll keep the blue flag flying high
From Stamford Bridge to Wemb(er)ley

And if you havent noticed im a chelsea Fan....

COME ON YOU BLUES!!

My prediction for a score is.... 2-0 Chelsea
Old 04-25-2002, 09:16 AM   #6
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_M:
LOL, ive just gotta say something....

Forever and ever we'll follow our team,
( might be : Where ever they go we`ll follow our team)
For we are the Chelsea and we are supreme,
We'll never be mastered by no northern [Censored],
And we'll keep the blue flag flying high,

Flying high, up in the sky,
From Stamford Bridge to Wemb(er)ley

And if you havent noticed im a chelsea Fan....

COME ON YOU BLUES!!

My prediction for a score is.... 2-0 Chelsea
Are you basing that on current form or the history of recent matches between the teams or on the way the ants are piling up their droppings at midday?

Here's one for you:

10 men went to laugh
Went to laugh at Chelsea
10 men
9 men
8 men
7 men
6 men
5 men
4 men
3 men
2 men
1 man
and his dog spot
and a bottle of pop
went to laugh at Chelsea!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 04-25-2002, 09:18 AM   #7
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
I'd just like to say that the Gooners were LUCKY that Kanoute's goal was disallowed, it was a goal for all money. It passed the goal-line, how could that not be a goal? Though the Gooners would still have won.

Ah well, if the Reds can't make it, better the Gooners than Man U. Lesser of two evils. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
No Memnoch you are wrong. I've checked all the newspapers and it was definitely 2-0 so it can't have been a goal!
Old 04-25-2002, 11:56 AM   #8
norompanlasolas

lol... now i understand more what nick hornby was talking about in "fever pitch".

i assume youve read this book donut?
Old 04-25-2002, 03:26 PM   #9
Vampire

We have to win against Bolton and Everton, but once we've done that it will be a very happy year for many people and a sad day to see Man U come 3rd in the Premiership!!
Old 04-25-2002, 03:33 PM   #10
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by norompanlasolas:
lol... now i understand more what nick hornby was talking about in "fever pitch".

i assume youve read this book donut?
Read it ? Read it? we lived it. [img]smile.gif[/img]