Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2001, 03:28 AM   #1
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I've been hearing stuff that the Lady Arwen(played by Liv Taylor) takes Glorfindel's place in the Fellowship of the Rings movie.. And stuff like Tom Bombadil(admittedly very very boring) will be left out.. If so, how do they explain all the things that the Hobbits go through, with the Barrow Wights and all that other stuff?
I'm rather afraid that by straying from the book they'll disappoint purists and make it less than perfect..
Though I cant argue with seeing more of Liv Taylor

Is anyone afraid that they'll mince up the movie? I'm just worried that the inconsistencies will bug me so much that I'll be bitching through the movie..
Old 11-27-2001, 07:41 AM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I'm already starting to wonder whether I should go and see it at all, I think it's going to get good reviews from those who have never read the LOTR, but anyone who has is probably going to tear it to shreds with comments about all of the inconsistencies....
Old 11-27-2001, 07:50 AM   #3
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

The only inconsistancey I can see coming from not seeing Tom and Goldberry is that the Hobbits will not have gained their Barrow Blades.Other than that it is just a side track to the real story.
I just re-read the Fellowship of the Ring. It isn't that big a deal.
Go see the movie because it is based on the Best Fantasy Novels ever written. Drop the idea that it has to be exactly the same as the book.
They would never make it if they had to include every side trip and tid-bit. The movie isn't even out yet and it's being slammed for not being the pure article. Come on folks. I have seen all the trailers I can download and so far to me it looks terrific. I, for one, plan on being there the night it is released.
Old 11-27-2001, 08:18 AM   #4
Melusine
Dracolisk

I fully agree with you, Wulfere!!
A movie is just a different medium than a book, accept the fact. I think the people who are making this movie are being VERY true to the spirit of the books, and their integrity is obvious from the fact that they have actually listened to petitions and suggestions from fans. They had a few ideas in mind for the movie which they abandoned when the fans asked them to, and I think, judging by trailers, screenshots and the like that they are making a wonderful movie! Have you seen the orcs??? Have you seen how glorious Rivendell looks? How good the cast is? They are all very experienced actors, not Hollywood stars, but people who come from prestigious acting schools, and who have played in many famous plays. Did you know that the ones who play Elves actually got lessons to learn how to speak Elven?
I can't wait for the movie and hate the fact that we'll have to wait for three years to see the complete thing... I have very high hopes of it, and will definitely be there at the premiere in my country! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2001, 10:09 PM   #5
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Oh I'm very optimistic, but I'm just rather afraid that my nitpicking will ruin a good movie all by itself. It looks fantastic! (and nobody's complaining about Liv Tyler) but I'm just worried that the inconsistencies are gonna bug me..
They ARE bugging me.. Everyone who'd read the book has an idea of how the film should be, and luckily for me, my idea is inspired by the stills I've seen from the film, but I'm troubled that it wouldnt be an accurate account of their journey..
Oh what am I talking about....
Rant mode Off..
Old 11-27-2001, 11:49 PM   #6
Lothar

I believe bombadil's parts will be filmed later and added special to the dvd. so maybe itll make up for it. Who knows? But I think its gonna be a great movie.

Old 11-28-2001, 11:07 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I'll be sure to see it, but I won't hold my breath or expect it to be fantastic. Liv Tyler DOES take Glorfindel's part, and she CARRIES Frodo across the Ford (on the horse, naturally), and she actually gets a small cut on her cheek at this point. Okay, fine, I can understand enlarging Arwen's role, and to make her something of a badass to appease the females in the audience, but come ON! In the book, there's no way in HELL Arwen would have been allowed outside Rivendell at that time; she's the highest-ranking eligible female, of ANY race, in all of Middle-Earth. NOT the kind of person you'd send out to go and tangle with a few Ringwraiths. I also think Liv Tyler's too 'cute' to play Arwen--Arwen's beauty was supposed to be majestic and ageless. Hey, nitpicking.

It also appears that they've done some 'creative additions' to 'liven up' the work; Remember the episode at the Bucklebury Ferry (I'm talking about the book now), where they hear hoofbeats on the road behind them, and are afraid it's a Black Rider? It turns out to be only Merry on a pony, but it's a nice little moment. In the movie, it IS a Black Rider, and the hobbits have to sprint down the pier and take a flying leap into the boat, which has already pushed off. The Rider is going at full gallop down the pier after them, but after the hobbits all land in the boat, the Rider is 'forced' to rein his horse to a stop, because in order to get to the boat, he would have to cross FIVE FRIGGIN' FEET of water. I'm not complaining because it's different from the book, I'm complaining because it's ■■■■■■■ cheesy.

Yeah, I'll see it. The first one, anyway. Let's all hope it's good enough to make me want to see the others.
Old 11-29-2001, 08:22 AM   #8
Lifetime
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
I'll be sure to see it, but I won't hold my breath or expect it to be fantastic. Liv Tyler DOES take Glorfindel's part, and she CARRIES Frodo across the Ford (on the horse, naturally), and she actually gets a small cut on her cheek at this point. Okay, fine, I can understand enlarging Arwen's role, and to make her something of a badass to appease the females in the audience, but come ON! In the book, there's no way in HELL Arwen would have been allowed outside Rivendell at that time; she's the highest-ranking eligible female, of ANY race, in all of Middle-Earth. NOT the kind of person you'd send out to go and tangle with a few Ringwraiths. I also think Liv Tyler's too 'cute' to play Arwen--Arwen's beauty was supposed to be majestic and ageless. Hey, nitpicking.

It also appears that they've done some 'creative additions' to 'liven up' the work; Remember the episode at the Bucklebury Ferry (I'm talking about the book now), where they hear hoofbeats on the road behind them, and are afraid it's a Black Rider? It turns out to be only Merry on a pony, but it's a nice little moment. In the movie, it IS a Black Rider, and the hobbits have to sprint down the pier and take a flying leap into the boat, which has already pushed off. The Rider is going at full gallop down the pier after them, but after the hobbits all land in the boat, the Rider is 'forced' to rein his horse to a stop, because in order to get to the boat, he would have to cross FIVE FRIGGIN' FEET of water. I'm not complaining because it's different from the book, I'm complaining because it's ■■■■■■■ cheesy.

Yeah, I'll see it. The first one, anyway. Let's all hope it's good enough to make me want to see the others.

I'm wondering though, where does Merry come in? If they dont meet Merry and they dont go to Frodo's new home and Frodo never tells them about his quest, then where does Merry come in?
They sure took a lot of liberties on this one..
Old 11-29-2001, 11:48 AM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I'm sure they greatly simplified the first few chapters and had all 4 hobbits walk directly from Hobbiton to Bree, haunted by Black Riders all the way. We might see some of the Old Forest, but it'll probably be nothing more than 5 minutes of eerily moving trees (gotta give those Special Effects folks something to do) as the hobbits leave the Road to dodge the Riders.