Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2002, 09:19 PM   #1
Echelon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It always takes me at least 3 tries...I always get killed the first few times. Is there a easy, or strategic way that doesn't involve luck?

[ 04-17-2002, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Echelon ]
Echelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 09:57 PM   #2
Kaneida
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Echelon:
It always takes me at least 3 tries...I always get killed the first few times. Is there a easy, or strategic way that doesn't involve luck?
SPOILER ALERT!
Well, the first game I played I learned from. Therefore, the next games I played I went after the lich in the City Gate area first before the other because after killing that one I get the Daystar sword. One of the best against any Undead. Before I visited that lich, I had to get a Protection from the Undead. This is good to protect from the lich. Its also good to have haste, enough healing potions and anti-protection spells like Breach and Spellstrike. Need also stuff that gives some kind of magic resistance and saving throw bonuses.

Now with other liches, since I know where they will spawn, I set up traps there. That's all I usually need against those liches. If that time stop is cast, I usually just have to wait and lots of patience. It doesn't bother me that I have to fight the long fight. I love the longer fights. The way I look at your game is, looks like your doing good and having fun if it takes you 3 tries.

[ 04-17-2002, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Kaneida ]
Kaneida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 10:13 PM   #3
GlaurungtheGolden
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i would avoid the liches if i was very low level. after that a straightforward fight is mostly all you need.
like Kaneida said, get the daystar. the sunray you get out of it does a lot of damage. the ring of the ram (which you get in the planar sphere) always does damage against the liches (inspite of all their protections). meanwhile you will definitely need breaching spells.. after that shoot them down.
also remember those liches always cast illusions like mislead when they are hurt.. so have someone ready to cast true sight or something. if you have keldorn in your party.. thats ideal coz the true sight is like instantly cast (being a special ability).
earlier on in the game.. when you might not have good enough protection dispelling spells you might use summonings as fodder for the lich. they are stupid enough to unleash spells like symbol stun, abi-dalzim's etc at any little kobold you throw at them.
GlaurungtheGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 10:37 PM   #4
Deathcow
Elminster

what seems to work best for me is having a mage constantly debuffing the lich while my fighters chop him down

it gets so much easier after you can cast warding whip, because it continues to remove spell protections after you cast it
Deathcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 04:22 PM   #5
Gammit
Elminster

I've found the best way to kill liches is to first set as many traps as possible in the area where the lich will spawn, and have monsters already summoned nearby. After the traps go off, I have the monsters rush in with my fighters close behind. My fighters can still hit the liches through one layer of monsters, and the lich almost always focuses his attacks on the monsters. Meanwhile, my mages bring down his protection spells. Ring of the ram can help out too.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:37 PM   #6
Encard
Quintesson

Depends on your level... at higher level, you can generally kill them like most mages (get rid of their protects, then pound them)...at lower levels, I can't really remember.
Encard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 04:37 PM   #7
Alson
Galvatron

Does the spell Insect Plauge works on Liches?
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 04:52 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I think it does.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:03 PM   #9
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

I usually hit them right off with a swarm a breach and some presummoned monsters . My Pally with her avenger lays them down fast after that.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:08 PM   #10
kanri
Dungeon Master

Just use non detection and backstab them thats what i do if im lucky.