Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-28-2001, 11:38 AM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
A googly's a bit like the flipper, except it comes out of the back of the hand of a leg spin bowler.

The ever so elegant Mark Waugh, who signaled his return to form with two half centuries in the final Test at Chennai made an impeccable unbeaten 133, taking Australia to a comfortable victory. Notching up his 18th one-day century, Mark Waugh is now behind only Saeed Anwar (19) and Sachin Tendulkar (26) in the all time list of century makers. There are few people as unfussy and elegant when in form as Mark Waugh. Tendulkar gives the ball a hard thump, Brian Lara shuffles a lot in his crease but Mark Waugh is simple, precise and a treat to watch. Even the New South Welshman's detractors would have to grant that. Scoring 133 of the finest runs, Mark Waugh struck the ball to the fence 15 times and cleared the ropes once.

But it was not all Mark Waugh. Matthew Hayden, still hungry for runs, continued to milk India at the top of the order. Despite coming out to the crease with a target of 249, Hayden was calm as ever and went about his task of gathering runs with consummate ease. In the company of Mark Waugh, Hayden made 57 (116 mins, 81 balls, 5 fours, 1 six) and put on 143 for the opening wicket. Despite a mix up and run out of Darren Lehmann just 20 runs later, Australia made it home with almost five overs to spare. Michael Bevan, not out on 33 was at the crease when the winning runs were scored.

Earlier in the day, when Sourav Ganguly won the toss he had no doubt in his mind that batting first was the right thing to do. Even the fact that the wicket appeared to be dry and looked like it had spots on it did not deter the Indian skipper. Hemang Badani, batting at number five, relished the captain's decision. Helping himself to his maiden one-day international century, Badani scored at better than run a ball and held the Indian innings together.

Then again, the Tamil Nadu southpaw had to produce a big innings. Involved in two run outs, Badani would have been keen to push the Indian score on. Stroking the ball around the park in characteristic fashion, Badani looked calm and composed even as things fell to pieces around him. Ganguly's woeful form with the bat continued into the second limited overs game. Spending half an hour at the wicket, Ganguly made just 4 before dragging a ball from Glenn McGrath back onto his wicket. Sachin Tendulkar, in aggressive form once more, made a quick 32 (35 mins, 29 balls, 6 fours, 1 six) before mistiming a short ball from Damien Fleming to be caught by Darren Lehmann in the midwicket region.

VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid then attempted to replicate their joint efforts, employed so successfully in the past in this series but failed. In the first of three mix ups in the innings, Dravid (13) was run out. Laxman then settled into a good rhythm and in the company of the fluent Badani went about the task of rebuilding the innings. The pair managed to add 93 for the fourth wicket before Laxman was run out by Steve Waugh in another mix up. When Badani played the ball to Steve Waugh in the 35th over, Laxman (51, 86 balls, 3 fours) set off for a single without waiting for a call. Scrambling to get back home, Laxman was found short by Steve Waugh's throw. Dinesh Mongia making his debut in one-day cricket did not last long, making just two before finding himself at the wrong end of yet another run out.

At the fall of Mongia's wicket, India were 157/5 off 36.1 overs and a score of around 220 looked likely. Showing great maturity, Badani raised the bar. After seeing that 200 was a reality, Badani went on to tame the bowling, although his innings was not excessively dominant. Badani's innings seldom are, the manner in which he held out against both pace and spin made him a thorn in Australia's flesh. When he finally holed out to Lehmann in the deep, Badani had made exactly 100 (142 mins, 98 balls, 10 fours, 2 sixes). India ended with 248/9 off their 50 overs, much more than what looked likely halfway through the innings.

In other words, we kicked their ass.

NOW they kick into gear? What about the figgin' THIRD TEST. Bunch of two faced candy-arsed wimps! Oh whadda madda Shaney Wayney, can't handle the curry-wurry?

Now that I've got that out of my system, and worked through my intense frustration at missing yet another exciting game, I'll say I'm very very glad two of my favourite batsmen, Mark Waugh and Matthew Hayden, along with another fav, Michael Bevan are amongst the runs.

What I don't get is this. Bevan is excluded from the test team because he has "problems with the short ball". He remains arguably the best one day batsman in the world, and because of the bouncer restriction is not trouble by inceasant attacks at his weak spot. He is also a master of spin.

India is full of spinners and flat tracks. Not much short pitched bowling there.
Where was Bevan??????

IN SYDNEY?????!!!!!!!

....um that's right we lost.....duhhh....

------------------
"Check the sustain on this one ... aaaaaaaa, I mean you could go out for a bite and there'd still be aaaaaaaaa"

"Can I touch it?"
"No. It can't be played"
"Can I look at it?
"No we've seen enough of that one....."

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 03-28-2001).]
Old 03-28-2001, 06:47 PM   #2
Hesperex

awwwww, India WOOPED YUR ASSES, oh well there is no denying that ENGLAND RULES CRICKET!!!

------------------

Master Assassin of the Holy Flame.
My website http://hesperex.8k.com

Old 03-28-2001, 06:49 PM   #3
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

...pride comes before a fall...
i knew it would happen, aussies just get too cocky. even though they're controlling it in the media - you know "we've just gotta keep our heads down and focus on winning matches" - before the second test you could tell they were cocky as. then they loose one match and it all falls apart!
all they needed to do was win one more test to be considered the greatest aussie team in history (s.waugh's own words - have to win in india to be the best)
i'm blathering

One more thing Yorick!....

....Love the sig!

"you, don't talk so much, just stand there and look good ok?"

------------------

Grrrr!
Old 03-28-2001, 06:51 PM   #4
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Hesperex:
awwwww, India WOOPED YUR ASSES, oh well there is no denying that ENGLAND RULES CRICKET!!!

LOL!
That is too funny Optimex, I mean Hesperex.

------------------

Grrrr!
Old 03-28-2001, 08:05 PM   #5
Gray Mage
Banned User

I was hoping to come here and get a description. I found out what a googily is but still need clarification on point scoring, like how to score, the object, etc. Thanks for taking the time to explain the googily......

------------------

Feel My Power

Arcane Adept of the OHF, "So let it be written, So let it be done"
Old 03-28-2001, 08:12 PM   #6
sylent
Emerald Dragon

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

------------------

"Watch your back" - Sylent
Master Thief of the OHF
Old 03-28-2001, 08:39 PM   #7
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Gray Mage:
I was hoping to come here and get a description. I found out what a googily is but still need clarification on point scoring, like how to score, the object, etc. Thanks for taking the time to explain the googily......

Grey Mage, does this help?

When the batsman hits the ball he may run to the other end of the wicket. The batsman at that end runs to his end. This is 1 run (as long as they don't get out). They can run as many runs as are safe after hitting it (usually 1,2 or 3 but sometimes more) If the ball is hit into the fence, it counts as 4 runs; if it goes over the fence on the full, it is 6 runs.
The object is to get more runs than the other team. Like baseball in that respect, one team bats to get run, the other teams fields to prevent them from getting runs and trys to get them out.

I hope this what you want. Forgive me if i'm being too simplistic or not detailed enough. What do the other cricket fiends think?

------------------

Grrrr!
Old 03-28-2001, 08:48 PM   #8
Gray Mage
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
Grey Mage, does this help?

When the batsman hits the ball he may run to the other end of the wicket. The batsman at that end runs to his end. This is 1 run (as long as they don't get out). They can run as many runs as are safe after hitting it (usually 1,2 or 3 but sometimes more) If the ball is hit into the fence, it counts as 4 runs; if it goes over the fence on the full, it is 6 runs.
The object is to get more runs than the other team. Like baseball in that respect, one team bats to get run, the other teams fields to prevent them from getting runs and trys to get them out.

I hope this what you want. Forgive me if i'm being too simplistic or not detailed enough. What do the other cricket fiends think?

THanks, much clearer. How does one team get an out, and how many innings(if that's what they are called.

------------------

Feel My Power

Arcane Adept of the OHF, "So let it be written, So let it be done"
Old 03-28-2001, 09:14 PM   #9
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Gray Mage:
THanks, much clearer. How does one team get an out, and how many innings(if that's what they are called.

Yeah innings - it depends, traditonally your have a 'Test Match' (which isn't a test at all it's the real thing - no i don't know why) A test goes for 5 days containing 2 innings for each team.
In more recent times the 'One Day' match has appeared which actually is one day long and each team gets 1 inning each. Each innings in the one day match is limited to 50 overs. Test matches are unlimited and theoretically one inning could last all five days - but no one would win.
(quickly - an 'over' is comprised of six balls. a ball is like a pitch in baseball - pitcher=bowler, to pitch=to bowl. after each over you swap bowlers)

Ok - to get an out -
1)if the bowler hits the stumps with the ball
2)if the batsman hits the ball and is caught mid air
3)if the batsmen are running and the ball is thrown by a fielder and hits the stumps while a batsman is not back to the safety zone near the stumps (known as the crease)
4)if the wicket keeper (like the catcher in bball) catches an un-hit ball and knocks over the stumps while the batsman is out of the crease - even if he is not running.
5) this one's tough- 'leg before wicket' - a comlicated rule where the ball hits the batsman in the shins. if it does not touch the bat, and would have hit the stumps if his leg wasn't in the way, and conforms to a couple of other niggly criteria then it's an out - also known as LBW.

There are 11 players a side and since you must have two batsmen in at all times it takes 10 'wickets' (outs) to get the whole side out.

A team can also declare - that is retire if they think they are in a strong position - there are many reasons to do this.

BTW 'wicket' can mean
1) an out
2) the strip in the centre of the field that has stumps and batsmen at either end
3) the stumps

depending on the usage

------------------

Grrrr!
Old 03-29-2001, 01:28 AM   #10
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Chirp! Ka-chirp, ka-chirp, chirp! Oooh! I love that sound!

------------------
Proprietor of The Moon's Hope Inn
Smitten by The.Relic