Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Anyone got this game yet?

It looks awesome and I am considering buying it (probably today) so quickly, tell me if its really all that good or not!
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Ooh, it's out? I still haven't finished X2 yet!!
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Before I decided to buy the game, I acquired a copy of questionable originality from an alternative source. During the installation, you get to oogle and drool over some screenshots. And then, after the install, it asks you to restart the computer. At that point I wanted to slash my wrist with the DVD.
Why, you ask? One reason: Starforce. The game uses Starforce copy protection. Not buying this jewel of a game for now, not until a NoCD comes out, because I will NOT be caught with shyte like Starforce on my PC. Ever. And I suggest the same to you.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:49 PM   #4
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Is Starforce particularly nasty?
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:30 AM   #5
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
Before I decided to buy the game, I acquired a copy of questionable originality from an alternative source. During the installation, you get to oogle and drool over some screenshots. And then, after the install, it asks you to restart the computer. At that point I wanted to slash my wrist with the DVD.
Why, you ask? One reason: Starforce. The game uses Starforce copy protection. Not buying this jewel of a game for now, not until a NoCD comes out, because I will NOT be caught with shyte like Starforce on my PC. Ever. And I suggest the same to you.
Ahh crapsticks
I wont bother then, I have had way too many ugly run in's with star force and i dont intend to have another.

Tanks for the heads up Bozos. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:17 AM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
Is Starforce particularly nasty?
Well, firstly, it has the exact same design as a trojan. And that includes read/write access as well as netbios priority. It operates at ring0, and allows any upper ring to access it, making it a pretty big security flaw. But by far the biggest gripe with it is that Starforce is a processor hog, unshutdownable, interferes with drives and is totally incompatible with SCSI, external drives and any kind of emulation software. Many hardware failures have been linked to it, even my own problem which I had when my Plextor decided not to burn anything over 600MB. After removing it(even it's developers agree it's bad, being the only copy-protection to offer a clean-up program on their site) it suddenly felt better.
So what to do when you get a Starforce protected game: check if there is a NoCD to be found anywhere. If yes, install the game, put the NoCD in, and then get rid of Starforce. If not, do not install the game.
I hope that X3 will get the same update X2 got, when the devs released an official NoCD patch specifically to go around Starforce. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
andrewas
Harper

EgoSoft released the X2 NoCD shortly before X3 came out, and, as I recall, were primarily motivated by the incomaptability between X2s implementation of StarForce and 64-bit windows.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:43 AM   #8
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

So... What? Are we not likely to get an X3 NoCD patch until X4? I was, i am keen on getting this game. But why must the devs themselves frag it up by releasing it with protection like three layers of latex?! [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:39 PM   #9
andrewas
Harper

Its not normaly the developers, its the publishers who, for some reason, persist in believing they can even slow down pirates with copy protections.

Anyway, Im saying the noCD for X2 was released because that implementation of Starforce had shortcomings even the publisher couldnt sweep under the carpet. But X3s version is shiny and new and knows about 64-bit windows, so there will not be a reason to release a no-CD.

Of course, the warez community has it cracked already. I checked. Its there. And this is one of the strongest protections available, supposedly.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:43 PM   #10
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I'm not much chop when it comes to deciphering tech talk, but if i'm reading Bozos' post correctly, i can assume that even if i'm running the game legally and with the correct settings then i can expect all sorts of hardware and software problems? Or am i getting something wrong.

This Starforce sounds like a bunch of ass. What other games has it been released with?
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote