Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2003, 04:34 PM   #1
Oruboris

Much as I've enjoyed this game to this point, I'm thinking of tossing it.

I'm just too frustrated-- seems like all I do is charge around mindlessly looking for places that are very rarely on the map: just shut it down [without saving, 2 hours of my life I'll never get back] after looking all over for the shrine where Malacath gives you the 'oryen bearclaw's helm' quest...

Came accross the statue of him [above ground] where all the orcs are, but can't find the ruins where I first 'met' him.

Seriously, would it have killed the designers to give us decent mapping and a decent journal?

Is there a download that improves any of this?

Has anyone assembled a list of locations and where they can be found?

And boy, am I SICK of cliff racers, the virtual equivalent of mosquitos: constantly in your face, gotta swat 'em, not dangerous yet so bloody persistent that you just can't go about your business. Makes tasks that should be quick and simple SOOO time consuming. Grrr.

Whole thing just getting to be a little too much: frustration outweighs any semblance of 'fun'.

Oru

[ 09-03-2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Oruboris ]
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 04:40 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
There are downloadable interactive maps outthere, so you never have any difficulties locating caves and such. The site where i downloaded mine seems to be down, but there are others. Just search for them on Google.

And about the Cliffracers, there's a mod that makes them less aggressive or don't even makes them attack you at all anymore. Look for it at www.morrowindfiles.com
Old 09-03-2003, 05:21 PM   #3
GForce

Get the Official Morrowind Guide book. It has DETAIL maps and all the scoops where to find what ... at least in the Morrowind game (not TR or BM). But its enough to not go crazy. And at last resort, cheat a little and check out the toolset and look for Malacath. And just like johnny said, there are plug-ins you can download that do various things and yes, there is one that has a quest to get rid of all cliffracers, or better yet there are plug-ins that tames most creatures. See, the game isn't so bad when you have a whole community of MW gamers who want to help you out with ther creation.

Try thsi site too. Its my fav:

http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/

[ 09-03-2003, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: GForce ]
Old 09-03-2003, 06:22 PM   #4
Oruboris

Thanks, gang... feeling a little less frustrated.

I'll have to get that cliffracers mod, and I'll look for a map mod [though I've been cruising the download sites, and haven't seen one yet].

BUT I won't be buying the tip book: no point in rewarding the company for charging extra for deliberately doing shoddy work with the in-game mapping!

Oru
Old 09-03-2003, 07:02 PM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Here ya go. It's not the exact same one as i use, but this one shows every single location in Vvardenfell too.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:05 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I agree the game can certainly become tedious. I have half-given up on it and just started playing a week or so ago. I play every so often, more out of boredom than anything else.

The mapping system is horrendous. There's just too many places in this game that you can't remember where is what. I'm finding myself running across landscape for ages only to come up against dead ends and walls with no alternative but to run all the way home like a good little lemming.
Graphics are great, combat is lacking..all in all this is a good game but a bit outdated. I would look at the clunky system the way I look at BG1.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:13 PM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

well, I thought finding places is one part of the fun the game offer. if it bother you so much, take a map ( the one Johnny give ) and memorize it. that's what I did and I never had any trouble finding places ( well almost ).

I agree about the cliffracer, they are just too annoying. normally I just run past them and stop when they are hundreds of them chasing me and I let lose a Nuke spell.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 01:10 AM   #8
Oruboris

Thanks, Johnny, for the map link: big kudos, will keep my head from exploding, always a good thing...

Early on, I thought looking for stuff was great fun, too, but sometimes it gets awfully old, like when you are told a certain location is somewhere its not: I'm pretty sure Azura says a certain island is EAST of Dagon Fel, when, in fact, its north. And of course, she doesn't mark it on your map, and the journal says only 'near', with no directions.

Oru

[ 09-04-2003, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Oruboris ]
Old 09-04-2003, 01:17 AM   #9
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I know what you mean, Oru! What I found most annoying though wasn't looking for things that weren't marked (though that was so tedious as well - I remember wandering around in circles trying to find a certain cave for a really long time [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] ), but going back to places that were completely out of the way and no convenient travel arrangments. Like the islands around Sadrith Mora, the camps, the fields of Kummu... totally frustrating. I think some more teleportation areas or the capability to have more than one recall spot at a time would have helped a lot. The worst area for getting around actually was Vivec. Completely stupid layout.

[ 09-04-2003, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Aelia Jusa ]
Old 09-04-2003, 01:43 PM   #10
Tar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well what I did is to set my recall spot in the Balmora Mage Guild. And I have the Almsi Intervention(AI) spell. Whenever I am in the middle of nowhere, I can chose to go back to Balmora or cast the AI spell. Chances are, the temple you end up in is in a town, and in a town, theres' stilder services, boat or teleportation via the mage guild.
Tar is offline   Reply With Quote