Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2002, 04:04 PM   #1
Absynthe

And if so, how far do you take it? For example, do you regard your misc. abilities as practically non-existent, or do you train in everything you can?
Do you handle situations in game as if you yourself were there, or do you strategize it with the mechanics of the plot?
Do you take advantage of glitches and bugs, or do you go back to your last save?
Do you play by your own morals and ethics, or do you play by your characters? (assuming that they're different)
Personally, I made a character that is as close to "me" as I could, so the decisions I make in-game are the ones that come naturally. I bring my own personal code of ethics to the game and stick by it, because for me, it gives the story more life and weight.
I'm curious as to how you all play this, as it's such a complex game that I'm sure there are all kinds of plot threads I'll miss out on, just because of the way I play.
Old 05-28-2002, 05:58 PM   #2
vesselle
Hathor

well, if i said i lived like i play, i'd probably be in jail.

i play a thief type, who uses ALL her goddess-given attributes to her advantage. for the most part, i use my way of thinking to run her, but add a very dark side. my anti-thesis. which is saying, she's me, but a mirror-world me.

funny thing is that i don't steal to steal. i steal to get ahead. so whatever i steal, i give to my employer if he wants it or just toss it. some things i keep as mementoes. trophies, if you will.

i play the game as if i were there, because, in a good game like morrowind, i get deeply immersed. i don't think of game mechanics, instead its all just an extension of my physical self to an odd ghostlike self. (does that make any sense? LOL)

i train in everything i can that will make me personable, quick, agile and quiet. i also train in some of the darker mystic arts, to help me be even quicker, more agile and quieter. so i use as much as i can. i like to have a high enough rating with authority figures, that if i get caught, i can "work" my way out of the situation. with some of the newer mods, too, i have worked them in, as they fit my char perfectly. so the nude and guard sex mods are great for that. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

i don't go back to my last save, unless i die. or when i switch chars. i'm running 3 right now. but my fave is my thiefsie! for me, this gives the game lots of depth. at times, i feel myself wanting to react like i personally would, but i fight it off and dive back in. [img]smile.gif[/img]

one of my chars is much like me, except for the magicka part! LOL! and she was created by answering the questions. i answered the way that i feel about things, IRL. i got a spellsword, so i ran her up. i play her, but i'm having such a great time with Vess, my thiefsie, that i keep going back to her!

obtw, great post absynthe! [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] i'm glad you asked. i'm really looking forward to seeing how everyone else responds!

V***V

[img]graemlins/chaos.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2002, 05:59 PM   #3
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

i must say i'm somewhere in between,
i kinda do some of the gamer stuff and train in stuff that i dont specialize in, and take advantage of saves and bugs that i find, but i really try to roleplay, (i feel kinda like Samuel L Jackson saying that i am the tyranny of evil men, but i'm trying real hard to be the shepard.) I try to only do quests and things that go along with my character. in defense of training for skills i didnt have as major i find that i can roleplay that just fine. so my guy started off skilled in longswords and medium armor. then he gets dumped on an island and needs to defend himself. he hooks up with a bunch of crooks in the thieves guild and finds that while the medium armor is great in battle, it isnt all that suited to his new needs. so he gets some light armor and decides to learn, same with this damned bow and arrow contraption, never used one before, but he's not to old to learn how now. so we pick one up and steal a bunch of arrows and head out for some target practice, still not very good at it and usually just succede in pissing something off which results in pulling out the trusty lonsword and giving it an attitude adjustment, but he's learning, and he should be getting the hang of it one of these days, he is a determined little bugger. plus he's read a few books that gaves some helpful pointers into this whole marksmanship thing
Old 05-28-2002, 06:24 PM   #4
Saltheart Foamfollower
Manshoon

I create a character I can be comfortable with, and that depends upon the game itself... In Morrowind, I created a Battlemage, the best of both worlds... I fell in love with this class playing Battlespire, and I liked the ability to swing a sword, or toss a spell, depending upon the current situation...

Baldur's gate and all that went with that series, I was a pure warrior... No spells, just a nice big axe... It was great, just swingin away at critters and watching all the magical mayhen around me...

As for the actual character, I play it the same way I am, and how I see myself. I wander aimlessly in the chaotic portion of goodness...I have no problem killing an opponent, but just no wanton slaughter of innocents...

As for skill development, I just play it by ear, I don't go out of my way to increase all of my skills, such as jumping in place, just to raise my stats... I always seem to end a game with a character very strong in one area, with a few medium strength skills to balance out the rough edges found in all specialized characters...

I play my RPG's the same way I read... I become one with the game, sounds corny, but my attention is strictly focused upon what is going on around me in the game... If it is a good game, I will lose myself for hours while playing...

As for save games, I have one... The only one I use all game long... I only reload if I am killed, not if I screw up...

Gotta live on the edge...
Old 05-28-2002, 06:37 PM   #5
Silverthornne
Dungeon Master

I enjoy role-playing, a lot. I was the type that used to get together with a group of friends in high school and college and spend whole nights rolling dice in a cramped room, either being a Dungeon Master, or taking a break and playing my favorite half elven ranger character (the poor guy that rolled a 6 in int, and I decided to give him a go anyway and damn was he fun to roleplay!)

For this game, I read over the classes and I was having a hard time to choose what to play or create, but that was while installing it and reading the manual. Once I started playing though, I went with what I felt most comfortable with, choosing a wood elf male. Then for the actual character creation, I was really glad of the questions way to choose your class. Got me nice memories of Ultima. So I answered them and my class ended up a Spellsword. After finding out that my Magicka was limited by my Intelligence on a 1 to 1 basis (I chose the sign of the Stallion because I visualised my character to be fast and agile thus the speed boost fit him), instead of giving up and restarting, I played upon that weakness and strongly developed his Alchemy and Enchant skills, and I'm glad I did that else I would have probably overlooked them.

Everything else has come as I play, always trying to find a middle ground persuading people to avoid conflicts (as I am in real life, and what I wanted to do when I found out you could do that instead of solve everything fighting), so my speechcraft is pretty high. But when a fight breaks out, I am not afraid to use my long sword skills and my shield (never could stand a 2 handed weapon) if I must.

I only reload if I die, and if that does happen I usually play another character for a while (playing around with a female dark elven assassin character for the dark side *grin) before going back to my main Spellsword. Oh and I also used a bound Longsword spell for the longest time (until I got that nice looking Glass Longsword I enchanted myself) because I always thought it was cool for a "Spellsword" to be able to summon his own sword from his own Mystical powers .
Old 05-28-2002, 07:51 PM   #6
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

do you regard your misc. abilities as practically non-existent?
No, I use them all the time

do you train in everything you can?
No, I do not

Do you handle situations in game as if you yourself were there, or do you strategize it with the mechanics of the plot?
I do both, but in the end...I will beat the game by its rules.

Do you take advantage of glitches and bugs, or do you go back to your last save?
Not really big on bugs.. but save I must.

Do you play by your own morals and ethics,
My own at first but like I said before, the land will be free...

or do you play by your characters? (assuming that they're different)
You tell me.?
Old 05-28-2002, 08:26 PM   #7
Arwen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

do you regard your misc. abilities as practically non-existent, or do you train in everything you can?
So far I've only worked on improving my primary and secondary skills. Some of the other skills improve also, but that isn't really my fault.

What do you mean? Of course I am there! Where else would I be?

What glitches? Are you saying that some of the things that I've been doing wrong might not be my fault? I just only go back to my saved game when I die, but that happens about every 15 minutes anyway.

Do you play by your own morals and ethics, or do you play by your characters?
My character is me. Well, as close to me as I could make her.
I tried to play with my own morals and ethics, but if I don't fight back, I just die. But I would never kill anything in real life.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:31 PM   #8
DraconisRex

My role-playing... Hmmmm... I don't do thieves. I'm a remorseless killer when I have to be, not a thief. I'm drawn to magic and stealth, the razor not the club...

And I'm not a wanton killer. I kill in self defense. Or because someone or something needed killing.... But when given the chance, I try to talk (Persuasion) people into doing what I want.

My character doesn't pass judgement on others. My character has a Past. A Dark Past that she doesn't wish to discuss with others, but mystics can see the dark-purple, almost-black shooting through in her aura.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 09:45 PM   #9
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Do I roleplay? well to be honest everytime I start a new game ( it's about 9 times now). I feel more like I've created an office boy who do stuff requested by people rather than a hero who do stuff by his own means. and they say this game is open ended, heh!

My character is somewhat different, he is a master of all 3 ( combat, thief , magic ) and I really like the way I created him as it suited my style.

Do you play by your own morals and ethics?
err...right now I'm doing quest in order to save morrowind, happily performing quest for people. but deep in my heart I have a burning desire to gain morrowind for myself. yeah, I want to be the ruler of morrowind. hehehe...
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 10:17 PM   #10
Silverthornne
Dungeon Master

Well, you're not forced to do those delivery quests though =p

Yea yea, the package thing starts you off on the road to the "main quest", but who said you needed to finish that anyway?

Want to be a hero type like that, join the Imperial Legion. Off the Camona Tong, free the slaves! Etc

I am right now in a quest of finding as many Daedric ruins as I can and conquering them. Gotta love those Dremora Lords and Golden Saints!