Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2004, 08:05 PM   #1
SecretMaster
Apophis

Just a thought. I'm so bored and then the solution hit me. After pouring through piles and piles of word documents of unfinished stories, improved waterdales, and other D&D campaigns I realized what I needed. A project. But I can never finish anything. Then, as I was looking at the same old World Of Warcraft Screenshots, I realized that if we put together every single, creative mind on the IW roleplaying section, everyone who starts a campaign or thread or something, we could make a game. Of course, I'm not talking about a mass produced game that goes on the market. I'm talking about on the forums or something. And if we all put our heads together, I am sure we could pull together something that was enjoyable for most people. With our heads combined, we can create a smoothly done online game with words. Something original and it'd be made from scratch. I have no particular genre in mind, but it could be anything. All the game mechanics could be worked out, everything could be done if we all worked on it. But most of all, it would have to be something we all enjoy doing. Its just an idea that came to my mind to be honest. Any thoughts?

[ 08-25-2004, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: SecretMaster ]
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:35 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

For starters, a clearly defined leader who can keep his team working and never gives up when it seems that everyone has dropped the ball... would be a good place to start. If you fit this bill, then I may be interested in seeing what you have in mind.

I also have a question. Are you saying that your team would build a game for others to play?

If so, then I have a little experience in this. See, Mistral and I built one just as you described it years ago. It was called Arcania's Fall. It included full-color maps, stores, villians and saints, an island where one of the IW Moderators was goinf to guest star as a certain character, etc.

The four people playing the game never finished it...and that upset us pretty badly. It still sits on my PC, waiting to be used. Mistral has allowed me the freedom to bring it back at my choosing, but I have not found enough gamers on IW that are true lovers of gaming worth wasting my time again. There are a few people, but they are also busy right now and cannot take on too much of a load. When the time is right, I may bring back our game.
Has this helped you any?
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 08:01 AM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

sounds good, I would love to be involved,although the actual making would take a lot of thought and it would have to be planned out well. I mean would everyone submit ideas to one chief designer, or a host designers, or would everyone do there own seperate part and put it all together, or would there be teams of people etc. Anyway, Im willing to help!
Old 06-09-2004, 08:18 AM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

In my opinion, one lead designer assignes different people to build different levels or places in the game. For example, Mistral assigned me to build the island, its inhabitants, and anything else I wanted to go with it. I gave it to her and she added it to her own game world.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 12:02 PM   #5
dplax
Jack Burton

Sounds interesting. I might like to participate, but my summer is starting to look chaotic and before the end of my exams (end of this week) I can't say anything for sure.
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:42 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Definetly in for this. Game mechanics, levels, plot, whatever you have for me I'll take it!
Actually I have something some trekkies here might just enjoy. See, when it's boring at school me and a couple of other guys get together and battle with Star Trek ships. Me and another friend designed the rules, and they're quite good for now. The ships are featuring specials, characteristics and such, and I think it would be interesting to try this here.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:18 PM   #7
SecretMaster
Apophis

Bleh, woulda responded last night but IW crapped out, and when I haven't got a chance to come on until now.

But yes, I do mean creating a game for which other people will play. And it could be possible to have the designers play it too. It would be (hopefully) in a completely new world designed by us. However, I’m only good for world building and handling technical crap. I have no programming, drawing, or website designing skills. I would also intend to have a decently sized team (about 5 or so) because as they say, the more the merrier.

larry, as for Arcadia, it seems interesting and looked like a pretty good game. And I can somewhat relate to losing the game, only less severe. I’ve experienced it with Waterdale, twice. While Waterdale was small, I put hours of designing into making it sound proof. And I kept refurnishing it. I have 4 editions of Waterdale, but only the first two were actually posted.

I would do something like the mentioned assigning of parts, but first this game isn't just me creating something and telling you what to do. Instead, we will all work together to create something we all want to do. I don't plan to be a dictator here, I want a group effort for everything. The whole purpose of IW was for people to come together on a friendly basis, discuss RPG's and be like a neighboorhood. This is the same, only were creating the game..
Old 06-10-2004, 05:15 AM   #8
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

After that Im definately in, I think it will be great. I know I said that before but your post has reassured me. Im coming up to a 6 week break in 3 weeks, and I will be pretty gree for the last 4 of those weeks, and will be up for any discussion, designing etc.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:11 PM   #9
SecretMaster
Apophis

So we have 4 ppl if Larry is in, and possibly 5 if dplax gets time.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:22 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I'll do what I can with the time I am alloted these days. I am already stretched thin. My in-laws are staying with me this month and need use of my computer to learn Spanish (online tuturing) before going to Argentina in July.