Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2002, 08:04 AM   #1
Jim
Quintesson

Hi all,

I've just created an Avenger Druid and noticed that he can place a single slot into the proficiency "sword and shield style". After playing the game for a time, I noticed that he could only use bucklers as shields i.e. gains no missile/piercing protection, which means that he does not recieve the -2 missile bonus that the * in sword and shield style provides whilst using a buckler, therefore this makes this weapon proficiency completely useless for my Avenger Druid Is this the same for all druids and if so then why the hell have they included this proficiency for druids?
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 09:12 AM   #2
J'aran
Mephistopheles

In standard 2nd E AD&D rules, Druids can use any shield, as long as it's made of wood or another natural resource instead of metal, like Dragon scales, Ankheg exoskeleton, etc. As there are no such shield in the BG games, they changed it to bucklers only. But AFAIK they do gain the extra -2 AC vs missile. Only this is offset a bit by the bucklers innate +1 AC vs missile, so it's just not as effective as with a larger type of shield. And yes, this is the same for every Druid kit.

As for why they included it, you can ask the same question about dual-wielding for Druids and Clerics, and any other class/kit that can place only one * in it, as that proficiency only becomes remotely useful at **.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 09:20 AM   #3
F. Gottwald
Manshoon

i strongly disagree about the dual-wielding bit. if you have either belm or kundane as your secondary weapon, you get another attack with your MAIN weapon... 2 attacks with your main weapon at -2 thaco and 1 attack with your secondary weapon at -6 thaco are in most cases better than just 1 attack with the bonuses from either a shield or the single weapon style.

obviously, you might want those great second weapons for your main fighters... but you might as well think that ´a tank should be a tank´ and have them use shields instead.
Old 02-16-2002, 10:05 AM   #4
Kmazi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would have to dissagree J'ran... Jim try the sheild of the lost it worked for Jaheira, though it is probolly just her fighter abilties kicking in, but in it's description it said it was made out of hair or something like that. If you still want to have druid spells and what not be a fighter druid multi-class like Jaheira is.
*Stats*<br />Kmazi- lvl 17 Sorcerer 66 Hp -2 Ac<br />Str- 18<br />Dex- 15<br />Con- 15<br />Int- 15<br />Wis- 10<br />Car- 09<br />Most Powerful Foes Defeated- Thaxll\'ssillyia, Nizidramanii\'yt, and Firkraag<br />Favorite Spells-<br />Level 1- Magic Missile<br />Level 2- Mirror Image <br />Level 3- Ghost Armor<br />Level 4- Stone Skin<br />Level 5- Shadow Door<br />Level 6- Spell Deflection<br />Level 7- Finger of Death/ Mordenkainen\'s Sword<br />Level 8- Abi-Dalzim\'s Horrid Wilting/ Spiralcrum<p>\"Death Comes To Those Who Go Against The Followers Of Kmaz Lord Of All Dragons\"
Kmazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 06:03 PM   #5
uss
20th Level Warrior

or dual-class Fighter/Druid perhaps?
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 10:33 PM   #6
Jim
Quintesson

I've got it working now thanks guys. I think the bug was generated by having The Darkest Day installed which I have now completely deleted because I thought it was absolute s*ite.

Does anybody know of a better buckler than the +1 version found in Mae'vars guild hall? If not then is there a better shield than this that a Druid can use?

Kmazi, I tried the shield of the lost but its classed as a medium shield, and cannot be used by Druids despite its natural composition

In terms of dual wielding, I'll probably couple the Spectral Brand (ToB) in my main hand, and use Belm in the off hand to get 3 APR, two with the Spectral Brand which will be mighty useful.

quote:
or dual-class Fighter/Druid perhaps?

That would work but I like to solo pure classes due to the greater challenge. Soloing a Fighter/Mage/Thief is redicliously easy, and the challenge provided by my solo avenger druid has proven by far the most difficult. (mainly due to the fact that I had to earn 1,500,000 XP to get from level 14 to 15!!)

Also, does anybody have any Druid equipment suggestions? Mine is currently kitted with:

Shadow Dragon Scale (best for an Avenger?)
Belm
Sling of Everard (ranged)
Buckler +1
Helm of Balduran
Cloak of the Sewers
Amulet of Power
Ring of Earth Control
Ring of Gaxx
Boots of Avoidance

This gives a nice AC of -10 and 2 attacks per round. Any suggestions as to better weaponry/armour. Also, what are your favourite druid spells. I like insect plague, creeping doom, greater elemental summoning, summon Deva, firestorm, ironskins and energy blades. Until access to the quest spells, I feel that Druids are heavily lacking offensive spells (they don't get powers such as draw upon holy might, holy smite, flame strike and animate dead to name a few) which makes the early stages of the game really difficult.

Finally, I've just gained the title Great Druid, which has replaced my Avenger title since I challenged for leadership of the grove. Does being a great druid hold and advantages or is it just a fancy name......?
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 01:52 PM   #7
Nifft the Nimble

An Avenger ought to take Single Weapon Style. You'll get a bonus point to AC and double Critical Hits when you're transformed into a spider, wyvern, bear or wolf. Double CH in spider form is very good.

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote